Check your account email address ×

Standby generators

1 hour ago, Polaris 550 said:

My three gens. One on the right is 21 years old. 

Big red on the left is about 3-4 years old.

Little two-stroke about same, 3-4 years. 

This is the Coleman transfer switch, and the switch installed in the cellar.

This is the negro-rigged direct plug for the burner only, running off an extension cord from that small 120 volt, two-stroke gen. I could also run an extension from either of the big gens 120 v, if necessary. 

PB280287.JPG

PB280288.JPG

PB280289.JPG

PB280292.JPG

Goddamn that's some ugly electrical work.

4 hours ago, Woodtick said:

Show me a link to the code in any state, that says it’s code to back feed a panel through the dryer breaker? 

All half assed shit kicker work, 25 years ago when I wired my buddies pole barn in Minong, Wisconsin his local friends were amazed at the speed of the insatll and how good that conduit work looked, they only seen that kind of work in home or a barn. My offsets, multiple kicks, and 90's in one stick of conduit really wowed them :lol:

3 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Wrongo.  I back feed, and do it properly.  :bc:

Neal

There is no proper way.

Irv, look into that GenerLink. If not that, then get a transfer switch of some kind, installed by an electrician. Be done with it. 

I will for sure. Soon going to call my friend to see what he has to say about everything? I don't know want to fart around and Mickey Mouse anything at all. I want it done right so I don't have any worries at all.

Appreciate the pics and info!

Thanks again. :bc:

3 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Lose the neutral and it all becomes a series circuit, fry electroincs, motors, etc.

The imbalance comes from people picking various breakers to leave on and off, having too many loads on one leg of the 240 volt will overload the grounded conductor, that's how fires start.

Do the fucking job right , don't be a hack.

Having too many loads on one leg would also trip the breaker on the generator.  So what is fusing current for 14AWG anyway?  150amps?  

I did the job right, I wired in a back feed breaker dedicated to generator power, and apply proper protocol for mains disconnect/reconnect, also I have balanced loads between the splits, as any competent electrician should do when wiring a panel.  :bc:

Neal

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

All half assed shit kicker work, 25 years ago when I wired my buddies pole barn in Minong, Wisconsin his local friends were amazed at the speed of the insatll and how good that conduit work looked, they only seen that kind of work in home or a barn. My offsets, multiple kicks, and 90's in one stick of conduit really wowed them :lol:

There is no proper way.

Sure there is, being ignorant of the operation isn't a good way to argue the issue.

Neal

49 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Aluminum ladder????   R u stupid or something.  You don’t use ladders to turn on power!!!

No, you goofinator, I'm showing what a fucktard post you made. 

• Gold Member
Just now, Polaris 550 said:

No, you goofinator, I'm showing what a fucktard post you made. 

Like I said.  When the power goes out I make sure my house and my neighbors have there power back on first.  No need for a back up.

If I did require a backup it would be solar/battery backup system over any other option.

37 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Goddamn that's some ugly electrical work.

STFU!! Vinny Boombahtz!!! All their work is excellent. I never had a problem in 21 years!!!

Ooooohhh, you gommbahs are really pissin' me off!!!!  

LIAR, VINNY THE LIAR!! Stevie Gravano is pissin 'me off!!  All you Goombahs are pissin' me off!!! 

That fukkin' garage was an old woodshed, and the house is from the late 1700's !! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

SHUT THE FUCK UP, I could buy and sell your mafia ass!!!! 

Go complain to NANA, maybe she'll make you a nice big lasagna!!   

Wire your ass!!! What the fuck do you think I'm doin', runnin' a beauty contest for Electricians Monthly, or Homes Beautiful!!!

STFU!!!             STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!             STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

17kw Generac on a natural gas feed and automatic transfer switch.  Runs everything in the house.  *Installed by a licensed electrician. :lol: 

Yup, guys trying to do it on the cheap, might get a severe shock from their insurance companies once the house burns to the ground, and they are not covered because of an illegal power hook-up.There are many ways to be cheap as fukk, but the stuff I,m reading on here from guys that barely know how to turn on a fukking light switch, and are to cheap to get it done right, just boggles my mind. Do it once, get it done right, and use it for life. Quit being so fukking cheap. Or live in the fukking cold and dark, while the power is off. And for those that think shutting off the main breaker prevents backfeeding, power still gets backfed to the main lines thru thru the neutral wire, which is not controlled by the main breaker. Just because you have gotten away with it so far, will not guarantee that next time you won,t be so lucky. IS IT REALLY WORTH THE RISK, TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS, and maybe save linesmans life ?

Edited by Frostynuts
  • Like 1

Hey, why don't BOHICAMAN and Vinny Boombahtz hang around together. They can ride around in Bo's utility truck and talk about how they can re-set power lines, and how pretty their bends are, while they're waxing each other's dolphins!!!!!!!  :lol2::lol2::lol2:

What a bunch of Ronzonis!!!! All they need now is Stevie " The Bull " Gravano, in the back seat of the utility truck to round out Gumbara's Circle Jerk!!!   

STFU!! Vinny Boombahtz!!! All their work is excellent. I never had a problem in 21 years!!!

Ooooohhh, you gommbahs are really pissin' me off!!!!  

LIAR, VINNY THE LIAR!! Stevie Gravano is pissin 'me off!!  All you Goombahs are pissin' me off!!! 

That fukkin' garage was an old woodshed, and the house is from the late 1700's !! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

SHUT THE FUCK UP, I could buy and sell your mafia ass!!!! 

Go complain to NANA, maybe she'll make you a nice big lasagna!!   

Wire your ass!!! What the fuck do you think I'm doin', runnin' a beauty contest for Electricians Monthly, or Homes Beautiful!!!

STFU!!!             STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!             STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not an electrician and I can tell that’s sloppy work. Vin obviously takes more pride in his work than those folks that installed that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

I’m not an electrician and I can tell that’s sloppy work. Vin obviously takes more pride in his work than those folks that installed that.

What part is sloppy, you dweeb? Which part, where specifically is it sloppy? STFU!! STFU!!! Lying bastids!!

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

We don't have city/town water, we have a well in our cellar. One shallow well pump, and another as back-up. I can switch back and forth on either of them.

We have no city gas. We have an oil-fired steam boiler. 

We have  no city sewage, we have a septic tank. 

So basically, when the power goes out...…………………..We're SCREWED!!!!:mc:

Your not drinking that water from that shallow well are you? Ever have it tested?

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Your not drinking that water from that shallow well are you? Ever have it tested?

Yeah, I got a big filter on it though. 

I think I will have it tested. I got the kit right here. 

5 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

There is no proper way.

The section of 2” with the broken plumbers strap in the pic above just wowed me. Years ago you could get away with a lot of stuff with a generator. With today’s electronics, show me the money! :lol:

5 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Sure there is, being ignorant of the operation isn't a good way to argue the issue.

Neal

I’m no longer worried about your  genset .I’m more concerned about you using that roofers torch to light candles in the house. Between starting a fire and the misses killing you for fucking up her yankee candles, we don’t want to see you get hurt.:lol:

55 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I’m no longer worried about your  genset .I’m more concerned about you using that roofers torch to light candles in the house. Between starting a fire and the misses killing you for fucking up her yankee candles, we don’t want to see you get hurt.:lol:

I'll have you know I'm on the volunteer fire department!!!   :lol:

Neal

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, irv said:

Could, but I honestly don't have any idea how to hook it up to our newish furnace. My luck I'd screw something up and void the warranty on it. 

I looked into that a bit and could also have that done but I was told somewhere around $1500-$2000 to do it properly. Still an option I suppose?

I have a lock out switch so it is legal to run my gen set and no way to back feed the line. The down side, I must start it. The automatic system is way better because it works when you are not there, and that is what I should get.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, irv said:

No well pump and I know nothing about what your saying. Not much of an electrical guy to be honest. 

With the main disc off your box is basically dead so you can connect your own power to the bus via any 240v connection (stove, dryer, garage, etc).

I would get a transfer switch and an automatic gen.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

With the main disc off your box is basically dead so you can connect your own power to the bus via any 240v connection (stove, dryer, garage, etc).

I would get a transfer switch and an automatic gen.

Depends how often one loses power and how often they are away. 

On Halloween about 5 yrs ago we had a snowstorm that dumped a bit of snow while the leaves were still on the trees. Made a mess , took out power for a couple days. SOme folks even went a week without.

After that a lot of people did the standby units, and most havnt run since they were installed besides their monthly test.

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

You hurt his little feelings and he took the pictures down. :lol:

STFU! STFU!!! Those wires next to the compressor were just the leads for the  gens. Those electricians did an excellent job on that wiring, it just looks not great because it's an old garage and my extensions were hanging on the wall. 

Hey, anytime Dr. Vinny Boombahtz wants ta' post his TNW, we'll see who's blowin' smoke out his ass!!!!! 

STFU!! STFU!!!! SHUT, THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :kneebash:

Uncle Znotty            Vinny Boombahtz

We are supposed to get a storm here in a couple of days. I gotta' load up on gas, and hitch up the plow. 

I think I'll start/test run all my ugly-ass wired generators!!! I'll be sittin' in a nice warm house, with my shit-wired gens humming away in the garage!!!!!!!

Those electricians that did my gens could out-wire your asses!!!!!  ROOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick your wires up your asses!!!! 

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Good because shallow wells can be risky.

Yeah, with all the developments around here nothing would surprise me. I CAN NOT believe the traffic around here!!!!

I could not believe the traffic Wednesday afternoon!! I was finishing up some outside work, and it was non-stop

cars going by.