Check your account email address ×

Standby generators

9 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Depends how often one loses power and how often they are away. 

On Halloween about 5 yrs ago we had a snowstorm that dumped a bit of snow while the leaves were still on the trees. Made a mess , took out power for a couple days. SOme folks even went a week without.

After that a lot of people did the standby units, and most havnt run since they were installed besides their monthly test.

We are basically in the bush around here and trees come down too often taking out the power lines. Hydro has marked a bunch of trees in front of our place that need to come down and seem to be taking their time doing so

20191119_082203.jpg

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, smokin george said:

We are basically in the bush around here and trees come down too often taking out the power lines. Hydro has marked a bunch of trees in front of our place that need to come down and seem to be taking their time doing so

20191119_082203.jpg

They finally started getting smart about it around here. Stopped trimming and started dropping whole trees. Now they just need to do away with their stupid logging setback rules .

You can't believe the trouble some of the faggot cunts in this town gave the power company about cutting trees in the center of town. 

I say they should cut EVERY FUKKIN BRANCH that is anywhere near the power lines!!

7 minutes ago, smokin george said:

20191119_082203.jpg

I'm in similar type area.I have learned where all the switches and breakers are.This helps them locate the problem area much faster.Oddly enough there is a few that aren't on there maps/computer and the rookies don't know where they are. With smart meters the finance dept can tell them in seconds who has service and who doesn't so does there communication dept,sadly this information is slow to get to the linesmen.

10 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

They finally started getting smart about it around here. Stopped trimming and started dropping whole trees. Now they just need to do away with their stupid logging setback rules .

We took 3 big fkrs down that were blocking our dish and planning on taking down another couple in the same spot. I'm gonna see if we can get a minor variance to build a separate garage and if we can then have at least 20 more to come down

20190921_080914.jpg

A gigantic crane went by here Tuesday belonging to a tree company. I've never seen anything so fukkin big.

There are a lot of tree companies around here, and they all seem to be going great guns. Big money in that business. 

If I was much younger, I think I would open a tree service. Not so much for the money, but because I like the equipment, trucks, chippers, etc. 

1 minute ago, gtserider said:

I'm in similar type area.I have learned where all the switches and breakers are.This helps them locate the problem area much faster.Oddly enough there is a few that aren't on there maps/computer and the rookies don't know where they are. With smart meters the finance dept can tell them in seconds who has service and who doesn't so does there communication dept,sadly this information is slow to get to the linesmen.

Most of the neighbours here call it in as the majority of the trees that knock out the power are on the dirt road coming in here

8 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

You can't believe the trouble some of the faggot cunts in this town gave the power company about cutting trees in the center of town. 

I say they should cut EVERY FUKKIN BRANCH that is anywhere near the power lines!!

x2

4 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Most of the neighbours here call it in as the majority of the trees that knock out the power are on the dirt road coming in here

I'm familiar to where you are.As a young lad I use-to put my ear to the tracks to hear if a train was coming.You can date  me buy that.lol 

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

x2

Amherst might even have some of those tree-huggn' bitches in town. Dumb fukkers think they're smart, but they have no concept of the effects that weather has on trees, and the resulting damage.

• Gold Member
16 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Yup, guys trying to do it on the cheap, might get a severe shock from their insurance companies once the house burns to the ground, and they are not covered because of an illegal power hook-up.There are many ways to be cheap as fukk, but the stuff I,m reading on here from guys that barely know how to turn on a fukking light switch, and are to cheap to get it done right, just boggles my mind. Do it once, get it done right, and use it for life. Quit being so fukking cheap. Or live in the fukking cold and dark, while the power is off. And for those that think shutting off the main breaker prevents backfeeding, power still gets backfed to the main lines thru thru the neutral wire, which is not controlled by the main breaker . Just because you have gotten away with it so far, will not guarantee that next time you won,t be so lucky. IS IT REALLY WORTH THE RISK, TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS, and maybe save linesmans life ?

This is what people seem to be ignoring here,  keep rolling the dice. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Amherst might even have some of those tree-huggn' bitches in town. Dumb fukkers think they're smart, but they have no concept of the effects that weather has on trees, and the resulting damage.

Oh fuck yeah. We have our share of granola eating tards that are clueless. 

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Depends how often one loses power and how often they are away. 

On Halloween about 5 yrs ago we had a snowstorm that dumped a bit of snow while the leaves were still on the trees. Made a mess , took out power for a couple days. SOme folks even went a week without.

After that a lot of people did the standby units, and most havnt run since they were installed besides their monthly test.

have a friend after a 3-4 day outage waste her money on a backup.  it's never been needed for more than 2 hours since

19 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Goddamn that's some ugly electrical work.

My neighbor had a Natural Gas genny put in for the elderly gentleman they built an addition for. We rarely lose power as we are on the same part of the grid that powers the water company just down the street. We did lose power for about 4 hours in the last 20 yrs combined. When we did lose power, when the neighbors generator came on, our power came back on too. Apparently, their genny was back feeding to the box on the road and powering up all four houses on the hill. They had a tech in to service the genny and he figured out there was no back feed protection and fixed it. Good while it lasted.

I talked to my friend last night and he gave me some great info. Looks like the proper way to do it is by purchasing this type of unit and then having it installed.

http://www.generlink.ca/generlink/how-it-works.php.html?fbclid=IwAR0ueD_d9blhRGnkrk3Ol1Tp21vkI1pskeYidVobkXBpkpmRyVQnXXGvIcs

Looks like around $1500 dollars give or take depending on how long of a cord I need?

http://www.generlink.ca/generlink/purchase-generlink.php.html?fbclid=IwAR2PXh7s_P5W9A2EDMuaxu-LBLqdi9T5I5dFoLNuPEFCuzNoFJrLRuX8oTE

Going this route would be much cheaper than purchasing a Standby system but of course one needs to be home if the power does go out.

Still going to give it some thought on whether to do anything or just take my chances?

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

have a friend after a 3-4 day outage waste her money on a backup.  it's never been needed for more than 2 hours since

I have a lot of customers who put them in 7 yrs ago and have yet to use them.

Went and got all my gas cans  filled.

Fired up all the gens.

The big new one was hard startin', but then got it runnin' good. 

Ya' know what the secret is to startin' those bastids??????

Those big 10 HP engines are hard to pull over and start. 

Give them a shot of STARTING FLUID and the bastids will kick over on one pull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all depends on the people's strength, age, and health. Some people need that auto-start stand-by, 'cause they can't start these big gens. I can't imagine too many single women, or older people, hauling out a big gen, starting the pig, and getting everything running. 

At the very least they should get an ELECTRIC START gen. 

I just think the whole mess is a fukkin hassle for many people. The gas, starting, running lines, etc...…...pain in the ass for many. 

Decided to go ahead with the Cummins standby generator.  Will end up costing about $10k installed, but will give us some peace of mind. The portable one worked ok when we only came for the weekends, but living here fulltime, it's a necessity. 

17 minutes ago, Skeeter21i said:

Decided to go ahead with the Cummins standby generator.  Will end up costing about $10k installed, but will give us some peace of mind. The portable one worked ok when we only came for the weekends, but living here fulltime, it's a necessity. 

I believe the Cummings unit uses a Onan generator.They have been making them for as we have been alive.Should work good for  you.And how is retirement? Hopefully your one of the ones that says,how did I ever have time to go work?

1 minute ago, gtserider said:

I believe the Cummings unit uses a Onan generator.They have been making them for as we have been alive.Should work good for  you.And how is retirement? Hopefully your one of the ones that says,how did I ever have time to go work?

Yes, Cummins/Onan. Retirement is great, highly recommend t!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skeeter21i said:

Yes, Cummins/Onan. Retirement is great, highly recommend t!

Don't want to pry,but a big adjustment for the other half? The boys are trying to get a ride together in March,I'm only in for a day,turn around at lunch and head back. Health problems with the bride precludes over nights.And some of them drive Arctic Cats--so should have a tuck and trailer on standby.LOL.

28 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Don't want to pry,but a big adjustment for the other half? The boys are trying to get a ride together in March,I'm only in for a day,turn around at lunch and head back. Health problems with the bride precludes over nights.And some of them drive Arctic Cats--so should have a tuck and trailer on standby.LOL.

The first year was tough for her, now she gets irritated when she heads back to Cambridge.  Too many people... Now she absolutely loves it here..