Check your account email address ×

Standby generators

9 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

It is no more uneven than feeding via mains.  It is the division of the loads that balances or unbalances the split leg, not the source (if running nominally).

We can.

"right way" is arbitrarily defined.  There is nothing "wrong" with back feeding from a technical standpoint, and if properly done, it is safe and reasonable way to power a home during outages.

Neal

Show me a link to the code in any state, that says it’s code to back feed a panel through the dryer breaker? 

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Show me a link to the code in any state, that says it’s code to back feed a panel through the dryer breaker? 

Code doesn't dictate my life, nor is it the arbiter of how things can be done.

Not every one of my receptacles is 2'  or more apart, and in some instances I have greater than 12' between receptacles.  Code is broken!!!111

I do grant that following code is often a very good idea.

Neal

8 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Code doesn't dictate my life, nor is it the arbiter of how things can be done.

Not every one of my receptacles is 2'  or more apart, and in some instances I have greater than 12' between receptacles.  Code is broken!!!111

I do grant that following code is often a very good idea.

Neal

:whistle:http://coopergeneratorservices.com/generator-illegal-backfeeding-dangerous/

B1E359A5-0B73-450F-B14B-1FDAC9805704.png

15 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It is dangerous if you have the main breaker turned on, no doubt.  If off it is not a danger to utility workers.

This unbalanced loads nonsense is complete bullshit.  Loads being unbalanced has nothing to do with back feeding at all.  This is simply bad information.  The home loads will be unbalanced irrespective of back feeding or feeding from mains.

This is a scare article from the coop so that ignorant people don't back feed and leave mains on and perhaps hurt or kill a worker.

Neal

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

A few things could be: Bad connection creating heat, low grade short that creates heat without blowing the breaker, dead short and the breaker fails to open.

As you know there are 2 types of cans. One that’s rated for insulation contact and one that’s not. 

39 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

2016gennypower.jpg

Back feeding.  :news:

Neal

Is that a extension cord going across a rubber hose on that propane tank? What is that rubber hose propane tank feeding in the house? You have to use a hand truck to move a little propane tank Olive Oil arms?:owned:

Just now, Woodtick said:

Is that a extension cord going across a rubber hose on that propane tank? What is that rubber hose propane tank feeding in the house? You have to use a hand truck to move a little propane tank Olive Oil arms?:owned:

No, that's cord is what I was using to smoke the turkey the day before.  Notice the smoker in the foreground.  :owned:

Torch was to crystallize the glaze on the honey ham.  

It's strapped on the hand truck to code fool! 

:lol:

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

No, that's cord is what I was using to smoke the turkey the day before.  Notice the smoker in the foreground.  :owned:

Torch was to crystallize the glaze on the honey ham.  

It's strapped on the hand truck to code fool! 

:lol:

Neal

You used a weed burner to glaze the ham? How big was the ham? :lol:Buy yourself a $20 map gas torch,you fucking billy.:owned::lol:

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

You used a weed burner to glaze the ham? How big was the ham? :lol:Buy yourself a $20 map gas torch,you fucking billy.:owned::lol:

I have a MAP torch for starting baby fires in the fire pit.  Anything serious and the big btu boy comes out!  :lol:

Proper order:

Done smoking, add crystalline glazing:

hamg.jpg

Then torch (not no MAP wimpass shit either...)

hamf.jpg

Then back on the smoker for cool down:

hamr.jpg

Neal

Edited by NaturallyAspirated
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I have a MAP torch for starting baby fires in the fire pit.  Anything serious and the big btu boy comes out!  :lol:

Proper order:

Done smoking, add crystalline glazing:

hamg.jpg

Then torch (not not MAP wimpass shit either...)

hamf.jpg

Then back on the smoker for cool down:

hamr.jpg

Neal

Damn,that looks fantastic!:bc:

My three gens. One on the right is 21 years old. 

Big red on the left is about 3-4 years old.

Little two-stroke about same, 3-4 years. 

This is the Coleman transfer switch, and the switch installed in the cellar.

This is the negro-rigged direct plug for the burner only, running off an extension cord from that small 120 volt, two-stroke gen. I could also run an extension from either of the big gens 120 v, if necessary. 

PB280287.JPG

PB280288.JPG

PB280289.JPG

PB280292.JPG

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

HA!HA!HA! OK, Superman!!!!!

I’m a mile from our substation.  Jump in my utility provide work truck and drive out the circuit.   Usually just a blown fuse cutout.  Call dispatch and tell them I’m going to replace a fuse in a cutout and slam it home with a long lineman.  Power come on for a couple hundred people.  Simple

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

We don't have city/town water, we have a well in our cellar. One shallow well pump, and another as back-up. I can switch back and forth on either of them.

We have no city gas. We have an oil-fired steam boiler. 

We have  no city sewage, we have a septic tank. 

So basically, when the power goes out...…………………..We're SCREWED!!!!:mc:

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I’m a mile from our substation.  Jump in my utility provide work truck and drive out the circuit.   Usually just a blown fuse cutout.  Call dispatch and tell them I’m going to replace a fuse in a cutout and slam it home with a long lineman.  Power come on for a couple hundred people.  Simple

OK, BOHICAMAN,  I'll try that next time power is out.   :superman:

72 year old, overweight guy, riding up and down the road, with an aluminum extension ladder stickin- out the back of his pick-up truck, lookin' for downed lines or blown breakers.   :wtf::wtf::wtf:

• Gold Member
35 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

OK, BOHICAMAN,  I'll try that next time power is out.   :superman:

72 year old, overweight guy, riding up and down the road, with an aluminum extension ladder stickin- out the back of his pick-up truck, lookin' for downed lines or blown breakers.   :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Aluminum ladder????   R u stupid or something.  You don’t use ladders to turn on power!!!

5 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Few years ago during a Power restore in my area, they forgot to hook up my neutral wire after the Storm had knocked the Power pole down, I was on the fire Department helping others, at the time, when I came home I noticed my Fridge was humming and a couple radios were smoking, they paid for all the damage but that was scary.

Lose the neutral and it all becomes a series circuit, fry electroincs, motors, etc.

3 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

It is dangerous if you have the main breaker turned on, no doubt.  If off it is not a danger to utility workers.

This unbalanced loads nonsense is complete bullshit.  Loads being unbalanced has nothing to do with back feeding at all.  This is simply bad information.  The home loads will be unbalanced irrespective of back feeding or feeding from mains.

This is a scare article from the coop so that ignorant people don't back feed and leave mains on and perhaps hurt or kill a worker.

Neal

The imbalance comes from people picking various breakers to leave on and off, having too many loads on one leg of the 240 volt will overload the grounded conductor, that's how fires start.

Do the fucking job right , don't be a hack.