Check your account email address ×

Standby generators

Need to install a standby generator,  the portable unit just won't cut it anymore. Am being quoted for either a Generac or  a Cummins unit. Anybody have experience, good or bad with either. Pricing is similar between the 2. Generac is 16kw, Cummins is 17kw

48 minutes ago, Skeeter21i said:

Need to install a standby generator,  the portable unit just won't cut it anymore. Am being quoted for either a Generac or  a Cummins unit. Anybody have experience, good or bad with either. Pricing is similar between the 2. Generac is 16kw, Cummins is 17kw

Same here. I have had 3 estimates all between 9k and 10k both General and Kohlers. 20KW

3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We have a 15KW Honeywell (Generac) and no issues as of yet. It cycles once a week and gets serviced once a year. Once we lose power it comes on btwn 5-7 seconds

The only difference between the Honeywell and the Generac is the transfer switch. The installation will vary depending on the location of the gas, electric code, and the location of the main panel.

Edited by Woodtick

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

The only difference between the Honeywell and the Generac is the transfer switch. The installation will vary depending on the location of the gas, electric code, and the location of the main panel.

It was the first thing we had installed when we bought the house. With the need for power for sump pumps it was a great investment. We had no hydro for 3 days and the basement would've been flooded

1 hour ago, Skeeter21i said:

I sell Cummins and have experience with Generac. Both are good generators but the Cummins IMO is the better unit.

49 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We have a 15KW Honeywell (Generac) and no issues as of yet. It cycles once a week and gets serviced once a year. Once we lose power it comes on btwn 5-7 seconds

I wasn't aware they cycled once a week but it makes sense they do. I assume the unit itself only runs for a bit but for how long and can you choose the time of day it does this? Also, how much is the annual service call or is that included with the purchase? 

I've kicked around the idea for a few years now even though I have that small genny. With it, however, as you know, I still can't run the furnace and that's what concerns me the most. 

2 minutes ago, irv said:

I wasn't aware they cycled once a week but it makes sense they do. I assume the unit itself only runs for a bit but for how long and can you choose the time of day it does this? Also, how much is the annual service call or is that included with the purchase? 

I've kicked around the idea for a few years now even though I have that small genny. With it, however, as you know, I still can't run the furnace and that's what concerns me the most. 

It runs for 15min. You can set the time/day. The service is around $300  for oil/ filter etc.. We have a unit on there that'll notify on our phones but after the first year we weren't interested in paying for it. 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

It runs for 15min. You can set the time/day. The service is around $300  for oil/ filter etc.. We have a unit on there that'll notify on our phones but after the first year we weren't interested in paying for it. 

Yup.....mine is the same. I used to have it set to run 15 minutes on Tuesday mid morning at request of my neighbor which can hear it.... but I dont get along with them anymore and now set it to run early morning on saturdays :bigfinger:......assholes.

Just now, Ez ryder said:

300 bucks for a small motor oil and filter change ? wow that is  a bit aggressive.  

Did that for the first year and now change the oil and filter myself for a fraction of the cost........occasionally have to pay for some updates that it requires 

2 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yup.....mine is the same. I used to have it set to run 15 minutes on Tuesday mid morning at request of my neighbor which can hear it.... but I dont get along with them anymore and now set it to run early morning on saturdays :bigfinger:......assholes.

Did that for the first year and now change the oil and filter myself for a fraction of the cost........occasionally have to pay for some updates that it requires 

Now that I'm retired I'll be looking after it. Everybody in our area has a genny and where ours is the next neighbour is 300ft away

Edited by smokin george

26 minutes ago, smokin george said:

12 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Now that I'm retired I'll be looking after it. Everybody in our area has a genny and where ours is the next neighbor is 300ft away

Thanks for the info, George. Are the units loud? I would assume on the quiet side but I guess that all depends on the size? I'm guessing one installed here would be between $7,500-$10,000 but maybe I am way off side? I would assume where our furnace is and our electrical panel, somewhere at the side of the house would work great as that would be our neighbors garage. I might just have to call to get a quote and some other info?

31 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Man, I'd pass on that, I had 80% of my home running on a $500 3.75kw backfed into the panel...

Neal

x2 a 6500, paid $900 brand new, I can run lights, oil burner, well pump, and oven/microwave.  I couldn't justify $10,000 unless I needed for a business.

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks for the info, George. Are the units loud? I would assume on the quiet side but I guess that all depends on the size? I'm guessing one installed here would be between $7,500-$10,000 but maybe I am way off side? I would assume where our furnace is and our electrical panel, somewhere at the side of the house would work great as that would be our neighbors garage. I might just have to call to get a quote and some other info?

George can fill you in more on those questions but as far as loudness goes, around the same as a good size mower.

I just have a very nosey and annoying neighbor that bitches about everything.

They still hang out their laundry to dry and give me shit for having my cars idle for any length of time if that gives you any indication of what these people are like

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

George can fill you in more on those questions but as far as loudness goes, around the same as a good size mower.

I just have a very nosey and annoying neighbor that bitches about everything.

They still hang out their laundry to dry and give me shit for having my cars idle if that gives you any indication of what these people are like

I'm lucky as both my neighbors are great, especially the guy whose side the unit would be on. I've heard stories like your's before and it just boggles the mind how some people can be! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments.  Reason we need a standby is because we heat with electric heat pumps with woodstove to supplement. We lose power frequently in this area, it's a real bitch running out to the garage to fire up a portable genny at 3am when it -20 outside. As well, it's difficult to leave for more than a day in the winter, if we lose power, waterline will start to freeze. I'm leaning towards the Cummins. Seems like most in our area are going with them over the Generacs. 

I have a 4k generac runs the whole house, furnace, sump pump freezer. Exercises once a week for 10 minutes. Does not run voltage to the panel during the exercise period. Air filter and oil filter you can get from napa. I've had it over 10 years 

39 minutes ago, irv said:

Its loud but not offensive. We have it about 25ft from our bedroom. It was close to $10K  for the genny, the electrical and all the underground work and hardlines into the house for our boiler

• Thanks 1