Check your account email address ×

Standby generators

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Depends how often one loses power and how often they are away. 

On Halloween about 5 yrs ago we had a snowstorm that dumped a bit of snow while the leaves were still on the trees. Made a mess , took out power for a couple days. SOme folks even went a week without.

After that a lot of people did the standby units, and most havnt run since they were installed besides their monthly test.

I remember that Halloween storm, many areas around here without power. But Sandy was the real killer, vast areas out of power for weeks. Couldn't find a generator if you tried within a 200 mile radius....all sold out. 

We were lucky and only lost power for 3 days but that is what made me buy ours.

You are correct that we haven't had to use it much at all since but it is a piece of mind in having it. This past summer we had a strong microburst during a thunderstorm and we lost power for a little over a day and it was really nice to have......hardly knew power was out..started automatically, ran entire house including central air and all my pinball machines...lol. I even made a point to put on my outdoor floodlights to bust on the neighbors I hate who were sweating their asses off . 

We are getting more and more underground wiring in our area, trees are becoming less of a factor,so my generator may become obsolete in the future.

11 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

A gigantic crane went by here Tuesday belonging to a tree company. I've never seen anything so fukkin big.

There are a lot of tree companies around here, and they all seem to be going great guns. Big money in that business. 

If I was much younger, I think I would open a tree service. Not so much for the money, but because I like the equipment, trucks, chippers, etc. 

My buddy started his own tree business 15 years ago.....makes a killing. Pretty much just gives estimates now and has his son run the show.

9 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

have a friend after a 3-4 day outage waste her money on a backup.  it's never been needed for more than 2 hours since

Yup.....we had that buying frenzy here too with little use afterwords but it still does add value and is a selling point for homes.

5 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I remember that Halloween storm, many areas around here without power. But Sandy was the real killer, vast areas out of power for weeks. Couldn't find a generator if you tried within a 200 mile radius....all sold out. 

We were lucky and only lost power for 3 days but that is what made me buy ours.

You are correct that we haven't had to use it much at all since but it is a piece of mind in having it. This past summer we had a strong microburst during a thunderstorm and we lost power for a little over a day and it was really nice to have......hardly knew power was out..started automatically, ran entire house including central air and all my pinball machines...lol. I even made a point to put on my outdoor floodlights to bust on the neighbors I hate who were sweating their asses off . 

We are getting more and more underground wiring in our area, trees are becoming less of a factor,so my generator may become obsolete in the future.

My buddy started his own tree business 15 years ago.....makes a killing. Pretty much just gives estimates now and has his son run the show.

Yup.....we had that buying frenzy here too with little use afterwords but it still does add value and is a selling point for homes.

:thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Skeeter21i said:

The first year was tough for her, now she gets irritated when she heads back to Cambridge.  Too many people... Now she absolutely loves it here..

Ya for sure there is an adjustment period.She took up water sampling for the lake,right up her ally as a former MNRF biologist. Also was the head librarian for a while--all of 1 day a week. cheers.

1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

I hope the fuck it ain't WET SNOW. It's like plowing wet cement.

That would be "concrete"..

Yes it's wet, rain mixed in all day, I have no issues plowing it, 3 snowplows and a 1050 John Deere with a 360* Back Blade and a loader on front.

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

That would be "concrete"..

Yes it's wet, rain mixed in all day, I have no issues plowing it, 3 snowplows and a 1050 John Deere with a 360* Back Blade and a loader on front.

Sometimes if it's wet, it trips my blade over. As little as 3-4 inches of wet shit, on my unfrozen gravel/dirt driveways, and it's a nightmare.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

Sometimes if it's wet, it trips my blade over. As little as 3-4 inches of wet shit, on my unfrozen gravel/dirt driveways, and it's a nightmare.  

Backdrag gravel, till it freezes.

• Gold Member

Take your millions and move somewhere nicer with a better climate!!!!

I left the shoes on all the plows for now as the ground isn't froze well enough yet, it would rip up the yard, I plow a road around my property for trailer parking, most is lawn areas.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Backdrag gravel, till it freezes.

Luckily, it's frozen today. When I plow my place and my adjoining sister's place, it's approximately the same as doing about 15 normal driveways, possibly more. 750' driveway, sharp curves, dirt/gravel, on a curvy, fast busy road. Up hills, down hills, changes in elevation, tight areas at one of the houses due to stone walls, mowed areas that I plow to access my barn and wood, two areas that I have to open to the main road. Sometimes I have back-dragged some, but it's a bit tough to do on this place, too big, too uneven, too curvy. 

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Take your millions and move somewhere nicer with a better climate!!!!

Somebody told me to move to Polynesia, and have young Polynesian girls stroke my Johnson, while I drink Bloody Mary's and overlook the South Pacific from my veranda. Or, conversely, I could stay here and torment some of YOU! I'd rather stay here and razz Bohicaman, Dr. Vinny Boombahtz, and Stevie " the bull " Gravano!!!

I left the shoes on all the plows for now as the ground isn't froze well enough yet, it would rip up the yard, I plow a road around my property for trailer parking, most is lawn areas.

Yup, I got the shoes on, I leave them on all year, usually. 

I watch the weather stations constantly during snow-storms. That way I know when it's starting, and how much we'll get. 

We might get 9-12, and that's only the FIRST day!! Next day we are supposed to get more. 

If it's gonna' be over a total of 12" , I'll plow it twice. I don't wait for like 16-18 inches and then try to blast through it, unless it's powdery/ dry. 

Any moisture WHATSOEVER, and I hit it before it piles up tons of slush. 

I got stuck bad today after dark, took 2 other 4X4's and a total of 5 of us to get it out, wasn't near my other 4X4's so had to get help from friends and my wife LOL, darn ice, we had to get sand which worked after hand digging out around the plow and truck..oh well..we have about 18" on the ground now.

I got stuck bad today after dark, took 2 other 4X4's and a total of 5 of us to get it out, wasn't near my other 4X4's so had to get help from friends and my wife LOL, darn ice, we had to get sand which worked after hand digging out around the plow and truck..oh well..we have about 18" on the ground now.

So, how deep was it when you got stuck???

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Tomorrow morning

I'm insomniac, so I might also go out later. 

Also, I have to break the town plow snowbank they leave by our driveways, 'cause I can't do it during the day...……………...the traffic will wipe me out. 

It sucks so bad operating the plow, and trying to watch for cars/and trucks coming around the corner!!!

Just finished opening-up the place. Was twice as much as I thought it would be. About 10 inches out there and still coming down. 

I'll head out about 4 this morn. and get the mailbox, driveway at road. 

Gonna' have to do the whole thing again tomorrow. 

PC020293.JPG

PC020294.JPG

Edited by Guest

Half way up my 3/4 ton truck doors so I couldn't get out, had to call for help.

I noticed some ice last night also. Couple of times I coulda' got stuck also. Just looked out now. Holy shit, must have snowed another 8 inches!! Here goes another two freakin' hours!!  Doesn't even look like I plowed last night.