Check your account email address ×

Standby generators

1 minute ago, irv said:

Yes, I have a gen now but I used a friends a few years ago and ran an extension cord right from it directly to my old furnace. That was a breeze as my friend was able to show me how as he had the exact same furnace.

My new furnace is 25+ yrs newer than it was and it looks nothing like it on the inside so I just wouldn't want to start guessing.

You shouldn't have to touch the inside of the unit, just the wires leading into it. More than likely it's only 120Volt, so it should be an easy connect. 

1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

You shouldn't have to touch the inside of the unit, just the wires leading into it. More than likely it's only 120Volt, so it should be an easy connect. 

Not necessary to mess at all with wires leading to it.

Edited by XCR1250

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Then you wouldn't need to do anything else other then the Gen/Dryer cable and turn off the main first, the furnace will run as always.

you are asking for when the power goes out, right?

So, if I shut the main breaker off, the power that is now going to the 220 dryer outlet from my gen will run my furnace? :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

What kind of gen do you have? How many watts? Where is it located? Garage???? 

Just a 3300 Generac portable. 

genny.jpg

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Yes, I have a gen now but I used a friends a few years ago and ran an extension cord right from it directly to my old furnace. That was a breeze as my friend was able to show me how as he had the exact same furnace.

My new furnace is 25+ yrs newer than it was and it looks nothing like it on the inside so I just wouldn't want to start guessing.

How are you running the other devices on the gen? Do you have that TRANSFER BOX???? If you do, just tap into that for the burner. 

Just now, irv said:

So, if I shut the main breaker off, the power that is now going to the 220 dryer outlet from my gen will run my furnace? :dunno:

Just a 3300 Generac portable. 

genny.jpg

Yes because it comes from the Gen to the Dryer outlet and then back to the Breaker box, just make sure you ALWAYS turn off the main first, have the dryer breaker off also until Gen is running, then flip on the Dryer breaker, if the Gen is smaller turn off other appliances for sure a water heater if it's electric.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Not necessary to mess at all with wires leading to it.

Yes, if he's got the transfer box he just needs to tap into to burner. Nice and neat. 

I don't know if he's got the transfer box though. 

Just now, Polaris 550 said:

How are you running the other devices on the gen? Do you have that TRANSFER BOX???? If you do, just tap into that for the burner. 

No. I just ran extension cords through an old dryer vent hole in the foundation to my furnace and freezer. The power came back on within an hour so I never had to play much. I was planning on warming the house up then alternating between the appliances that needed it but that never happened. 

3 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Nope, everything runs off the Breaker box as always, just ALWAYS turn OFF the main breaker and any 220 appliances.

• Thanks 1

Yes, if he's got the transfer box he just needs to tap into to burner. Nice and neat. 

I don't know if he's got the transfer box though. 

Don't need a Transfer switch to work, legally, perhaps, but as long as you turn off the main it can't feed back to the Power Company lines.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Yes because it comes from the Gen to the Dryer outlet and then back to the Breaker box, just make sure you ALWAYS turn off the main first, have the dryer breaker off also until Gen is running, then flip on the Dryer breaker, if the Gen is smaller turn off other appliances for sure a water heater if it's electric.

Thanks. :bc:

This is making more sense now. I will have to save this thread in case I ever need it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irv said:

No. I just ran extension cords through an old dryer vent hole in the foundation to my furnace and freezer. The power came back on within an hour so I never had to play much. I was planning on warming the house up then alternating between the appliances that needed it but that never happened. 

OK, I think I got it now. You have a 3300 watt portable gen., with NO TRANSFER switch. 

As I see it, you have three options:

1. You can run a line directly to your burner

2. You can run a line to your dryer and backfeed

3. You can install a Transfer switch with an electrician ( this will cost about 600, maybe more ) but is the best way to do it.

Is that gen 120/220 volt? Most of those smaller ones are 120 only. 

OK, I think I got it now. You have a 3300 watt portable gen., with NO TRANSFER switch. 

As I see it, you have three options:

1. You can run a line directly to your burner

2. You can run a line to your dryer and backfeed

3. You can install a Transfer switch with an electrician ( this will cost about 600, maybe more ) but is the best way to do it.

Is that gen 120/220 volt? Most of those smaller ones are 120 only. 

No, no transfer switch and I would also assume only a 120 volt genny? It does have a big plug/dryer type plug outlet on it, however, like can be seen in this pic of mine. (To the left of the 4 normal outlets)

genny.jpg

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, irv said:

No, no transfer switch and I would also assume only a 120 volt genny? It does have a big plug/dryer type plug outlet on it, however, like can be seen in this pic of mine. (To the left of the 4 normal outlets)

genny.jpg

It should be labeled. It's prolly 220 but may be a 30 amp 110

1 minute ago, irv said:

genny.jpg

I just looked it up, you DO HAVE a 240 OUTLET. Wow, that's a nice little unit you have there!!!

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

It should be labeled. It's prolly 220 but may be a 30 amp 110

:bc: I'll look closer tomorrow to get all the info I'll likely need.

I just looked it up, you DO HAVE a 240 OUTLET. Wow, that's a nice little unit you have there!!!

Thanks. :bc: I got it for $225 CDN as it was technically used even though it had never run. Previous owners purchased it but it wouldn't start so they took it back. It ended up being some small part/switch but this made the buyers nervous so they told the store (Lowe's) they wanted their money back. Because it had gas in it Lowe's couldn't sell it as new so I got it for half price. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

:bc: I'll look closer tomorrow to get all the info I'll likely need.

Thanks. :bc: I got it for $225 CDN as it was technically used even though it had never run. Previous owners purchased it but it wouldn't start so they took it back. It ended up being some small part/switch but this made the buyers nervous so they told the store (Lowe's) they wanted their money back. Because it had gas in it Lowe's couldn't sell it as new so I got it for half price. 

I have the 5000. bought it the same way. Dude bought it , the next week his neighbor told him he should have bought the 8000. So he brought it back and bought the 8000. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

It,s 240

I've never really used it yet other than just trying it with a skill saw and a heat gun. I was going to go bigger but when I seen this one for half price and trusting the salesman who said this would be plenty, I decided to purchased it. 

I would assume being a 240 it should work fairly well for my needs? Furnace, fridge, freezer, etc as long those don't all come on at the same time?

Just now, irv said:

I've never really used it yet other than just trying it with a skill saw and a heat gun. I was going to go bigger but when I seen this one for half price and trusting the salesman who said this would be plenty, I decided to purchased it. 

I would assume being a 240 it should work fairly well for my needs? Furnace, fridge, freezer, etc as long those don't all come on at the same time?

If it/s struggling, the lights will dim. Then shut something off.

1 minute ago, irv said:

Those are all 120 volts, you should be fine. You can either go cheap, and do the direct wiring, or do it with the transfer box ( $$$ ). I'll post some pics, it might help ya' decide. You can also try the back feed. You'll need a lot of heavy cable to go from the gen to the dryer. That will cost ya' some. 

Just now, steve from amherst said:

If it/s struggling, the lights will dim. Then shut something off.

My big concern is my furnace, fridges and freezer. I figured once one appliance ran a cycle I would just unplug it and run the extension cord to another and repeat but if I go with XCR's suggestion, then there will be no need for that. I'll just make sure to have any non essential things off then listen/watch. 

I am hoping this works out as I can now forget about spending some big bucks on home size standby genny. 

When we were installing my gen years ago, it started BOTH 220 VOLT water pumps at the same time!!! 

Even the electrician was surprised at that. That's a lot of power. 

I GOT THE POWER!!! 

2 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Those are all 120 volts, you should be fine. You can either go cheap, and do the direct wiring, or do it with the transfer box ( $$$ ). I'll post some pics, it might help ya' decide. You can also try the back feed. You'll need a lot of heavy cable to go from the gen to the dryer. That will cost ya' some. 

I think I still have some heavy duty wire/cable left over when I ran my battery to my trunk in my Monte Carlo? That might not be big enough, however, but I will be sure I get the proper sized stuff if it isn't?