Check your account email address ×

Standby generators

Just now, Polaris 550 said:

You left your wife and kids with no power!!! LMAO!! You gotta' be kiddin'!!! 

they chose to not come up as she felt the power would come right back on. I needed to check on the camp anyways so no sense in me not being comfortable and coming home.  she finally decided to come up the next day and wasn't even north of the rochester tolls when we got the call the power was back on.  She always could have gone to the neighbors who at the time heated their house with the woodstove i gave them.  

1 minute ago, irv said:

Could, but I honestly don't have any idea how to hook it up to our newish furnace. My luck I'd screw something up and void the warranty on it. 

I looked into that a bit and could also have that done but I was told somewhere around $1500-$2000 to do it properly. Still an option I suppose?

$1500 !!!!!!       My oil burner guy, who was also my helper, and I did it in about ten minutes!!!!! All it takes is a plug and some wire. I will take some pics, if you want. 

Just now, Angry ginger said:

You can backfeed through that plug,  shut off the main and the circuits your not using leaving on just the well pump if you have one, heat and lights in one room

No well pump and I know nothing about what your saying. Not much of an electrical guy to be honest. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

Yes.

Purchase a heavy triple wire stranded wire cable, put Gen plug on 1 end and a dryer plug on the other, turn off main(s) plug into Dryer and Gen, fire up Gen. bingo, depending on the size of Gen will determine what you want to run..

Just now, Polaris 550 said:

$1500 !!!!!!       My oil burner guy, who was also my helper, and I did it in about ten minutes!!!!! All it takes is a plug and some wire. I will take some pics, if you want. 

My father had something hooked up for his gen as my mother was all worried about Y2K. It's a full panel type thing he has in the shed that he plugs power from the gen into. I assume it is a separate/individual panel just like what's in the house?

A pic would be great, if you don't mind?

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Purchase a heavy triple wire stranded wire cable, put Gen plug on 1 end and a dryer plug on the other, turn off main(s) plug into Dryer and Gen, fire up Gen. bingo, depending on the size of Gen will determine what you want to run..

Way over my head, XCR. I do know a guy who would know, however, so I should give him a call. Thanks for the info. :bc:

1 minute ago, irv said:

My father had something hooked up for his gen as my mother was all worried about Y2K. It's a full panel type thing he has in the shed that he plugs power from the gen into. I assume it is a separate/individual panel just like what's in the house?

your dads system using a transfer switch to go back and forth between the grid and the generator.  that would be the best way to hook up a portable generator.  cost of $400-500 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, irv said:

Yes, they are usually a 6 circuit transfer switch. Mine is made by Coleman, same as one of my gens. 

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Man, I'd pass on that, I had 80% of my home running on a $500 3.75kw backfed into the panel...

Neal

x2, 5500 will run my well and all other shit. Could even run the dryer if I had too but don't.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

your dads system using a transfer switch to go back and forth between the grid and the generator.  that would be the best way to hook up a portable generator.  cost of $400-500 

I'm sure he paid a lot more for it way back in 99 but I'll have to ask him again.

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

It's only 3 wires and a screwdriver, 10-15 minutes tops.

So, after I hook up the 220 plug from the dryer to the Gen, how do I get power to the furnace via that? 

2 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Yes, they are usually a 6 circuit transfer switch. Mine is made by Coleman, same as one of my gens. 

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. 

Thanks. :bc:

1 minute ago, irv said:

I'm sure he paid a lot more for it way back in 99 but I'll have to ask him again.

So, after I hook up the 220 plug from the dryer to the Gen, how do I get power to the furnace via that? 

Is the furnace hooked to your circuit breaker box now?

2 minutes ago, irv said:

OK. let's go over this. Are you saying that you DO have a generator now????????

If you are running all the other things, why can't you run a line to the burner??????

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Is the furnace hooked to your circuit breaker box now?

I would assume? I know there is an on/off switch right beside the furnace that I'll use when I change out my filter. The furnace tech also uses it when servicing it. My main panel is likely 40+ feet away from the furnace.

4 minutes ago, irv said:

What kind of gen do you have? How many watts? Where is it located? Garage???? 

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

You can backfeed through that plug,  shut off the main and the circuits your not using leaving on just the well pump if you have one, heat and lights in one room

That's how I run mine. If Im expecting a storm I put the forks on the tractor . When it goes out I bring the ben to the side of the house. Run a line into the dryer and kill the panel.

Just now, irv said:

I would assume? I know there is an on/off switch right beside the furnace that I'll use when I change out my filter. The furnace tech also uses it when servicing it. My main panel is likely 40+ feet away from the furnace.

Then you wouldn't need to do anything else other then the Gen/Dryer cable and turn off the main first, the furnace will run as always.

you are asking for when the power goes out, right?

1 minute ago, Polaris 550 said:

OK. let's go over this. Are you saying that you DO have a generator now????????

If you are running all the other things, why can't you run a line to the burner??????

Yes, I have a gen now but I used a friends a few years ago and ran an extension cord right from it directly to my old furnace. That was a breeze as my friend was able to show me how as he had the exact same furnace.

My new furnace is 25+ yrs newer than it was and it looks nothing like it on the inside so I just wouldn't want to start guessing.

Just now, irv said:

Yes, I have a gen now but I used a friends a few years ago and ran an extension cord right from it directly to my old furnace. That was a breeze as my friend was able to show me how as he had the exact same furnace.

My new furnace is 25+ yrs newer than it was and it looks nothing like it on the inside so I just wouldn't want to start guessing.

If it's wired to your breaker box (it is I'm sure) then you do NOT need to wire anything to the furnace at all.

• Thanks 1