Check your account email address ×

Another daughter car thread

Just now, Dave said:

You gonna tell them to make Jim an offer he cant refuse ballsack? 

LOL

I have a Caddy dealer here that always has some older lower mile Caddy's that are solid one or two owner cars for reasonable coin and if I know his price range I can see what they have, or if they have a high miler that's coming on trade I can ask for a phone call for first or second dibs.

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

LOL

I have a Caddy dealer here that always has some older lower mile Caddy's that are solid one or two owner cars for reasonable coin and if I know his price range I can see what they have, or if they have a high miler that's coming on trade I can ask for a phone call for first or second dibs.

You da man! :bc:

6 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

LOL

He should look for something with much less miles on it.  Shit both our 2010's have less than half the miles he stated, 115km and 72km, kms not miles. 

• Like 1

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

He should look for something with much less miles on it.  Shit both our 2010's have less than half the miles he stated, 115km and 72km, kms not miles. 

I agree, that's why I'm asking what his price range is.

The Taurus will last much longer than the caddy before a drivetrain component fails, not to mention the electrical nightmares that can come with high mile caddys.

You can find lower mile cars for that money.  She needs to decide if she wants a car that works all the time, or some snazzy fuckwagon that always needs work.

Where's GS?  He has a high mile caddy.  He'll lie about the service he has in it though like he does about everything else.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

The Taurus will last much longer than the caddy before a drivetrain component fails, not to mention the electrical nightmares that can come with high mile caddys.

You can find lower mile cars for that money.  She needs to decide if she wants a car that works all the time, or some snazzy fuckwagon that always needs work.

Where's GS?  He has a high mile caddy.  He'll lie about the service he has in it though like he does about everything else.

That would be my concern .  Chasing shit like that can expensive really fast .

12 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

6500 for the Caddy and 7500 for the Taurus.

Seems like a lot for a high mileage car. Have you considered looking outside your area to compare prices?

Boy ,after reading this thread,it makes me wonder how poor we were. I had to trade an atari 600xl computer for a pos 232 74 gremlin for my first car. Mom couldn't help me out, and as soon as I started working at 16,I started paying rent. Holy fuck ,I wish one of you fawkers would adopt me :lol:

10 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Boy ,after reading this thread,it makes me wonder how poor we were. I had to trade an atari 600xl computer for a pos 232 74 gremlin for my first car. Mom couldn't help me out, and as soon as I started working at 16,I started paying rent. Holy fuck ,I wish one of you fawkers would adopt me :lol:

That is part of the reason kids are the way they are today.....they dont k ow the meaning of a dollar.....not all are like that but quite a few.

18 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

I don't think my family was poor. They just taught me a work ethic, that if you want something you earn it and you're "entitled" to nothing. The world doesn't owe you. If I was short on money for things I wanted I could borrow it from my folks but had to pay it back. I never lacked for the things I needed but a motorcycle and a car were wants not needs. 

Once I was out of school and working ft I started to contribute a small amount of board. It was only fair. 

I remember the Gremlin well. Had a trip down memory lane today. Getting gas and a 75 Honda CB 750 pulled in. Two years newer than my 550 but the same colour

1 minute ago, Dave said:

That is part of the reason kids are the way they are today.....they dont k ow the meaning of a dollar.....not all are like that but quite a few.

Exactly. Friend of mine, his son is not quite 16 and started telling his dad what kind of car would be acceptable. Dad just laughed and told him it's nice to have fantasies. 

28 minutes ago, Dave said:

I totally agree.  

12 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I don't think my family was poor. They just taught me a work ethic, that if you want something you earn it and you're "entitled" to nothing. The world doesn't owe you. If I was short on money for things I wanted I could borrow it from my folks but had to pay it back. I never lacked for the things I needed but a motorcycle and a car were wants not needs. 

Once I was out of school and working ft I started to contribute a small amount of board. It was only fair. 

I remember the Gremlin well. Had a trip down memory lane today. Getting gas and a 75 Honda CB 750 pulled in. Two years newer than my 550 but the same colour 

On the bold,that's the proper way to do it for sure. Sounds like your parents knew proper values ..

As for the gremlin, It was a 74,but I later owned a killer 401 4sp 70 gremlin x lol. Original 304 car. I miss that car bad. It's like driving on oil until 70mph . 

Neighbor had a cbr.  Fuckin thing was all engine lol. Those old bikes were cool 

44 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Exactly. Friend of mine, his son is not quite 16 and started telling his dad what kind of car would be acceptable. Dad just laughed and told him it's nice to have fantasies. 

I think the work ethic is the best thing you can teach a kid.  My mom was the sole earner from the time I was 2 years old, so we had to learn to do things pretty much ourselves.  She wanted to and put us through school and even paid for our first car, she would never even consider taking a dime from one of her kids for rent or anything, I respect that.  We were savers though and not spendthrifts.  We pretty much did all the repairs on our cars, including body work.  I also have no issue buying my son a car.

My mom would whip my ass and my late FIL would likely turn over in his grave if I started asking for rent and such from my kid.  The best I can do is teach him how to best manage the family wealth that will be forthcoming to him and prey he is not a complete moron like our current selfie PM.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

My daughter goes to school in another town and I'm not going to put her in some clapped out piece of crap.

Maybe lease her a car...least she will be in new....and you dont have spend as much coin upfront...you could possibly write it off... :bc:

6 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

My daughter goes to school in another town and I'm not going to put her in some clapped out piece of crap.

I would sooner drive the clap out piece of crap than let my son or wife ever drive it.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I would sooner drive the clap out piece of crap than let my son or wife ever drive it.

Well would I but my truck lease is up in April and she does drive that sometimes or she drives The Edge.....we are a vehicle short and she really wants her own rig. 

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I just gave the boy my old ride and got a new one. At least I know it's dependable. The daughter will get mom's car in 2 years, then mom will get a new one. I tried to plan it out this way and it's worked out ok so far...

Both kids have a full schedule with advanced classes, homework, and are seriously into sports so getting a job and saving up like I did isn't going to work for them.

9 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Well would I but my truck lease is up in April and she does drive that sometimes or she drives The Edge.....we are a vehicle short and she really wants her own rig. 

You are doing the right thing.

4 minutes ago, Dave said:

If you die there goes the bacon...

No, not really.  The bacon is pretty much set.

10 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I just gave the boy my old ride and got a new one. At least I know it's dependable. The daughter will get mom's car in 2 years, then mom will get a new one. I tried to plan it out this way and it's worked out ok so far...

Both kids have a full schedule with advanced classes, homework, and are seriously into sports so getting a job and saving up like I did isn't going to work for them.

My kid is more than welcome to my 2014 Rubicon, but want to think about it.:lol:

I am more concerned with his value of money and have taught him how to best invest for growth.  He has his own investment account and keeps track of how things are going.