Check your account email address ×

wrenchin sleds !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 not beginner lessons!!11

f7ben

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Shaft and bushings polished with type A very fine Scotch Brite. Everything all cleaned up. 

Do I lubricate the shaft the rollers sit on?

20190201_142601.jpg

20190201_142610.jpg

15490565202081258102148258744651.jpg

Looks great!! I've never had a Team clutch apart, but on a lot of Yamaha clutches I would put a thin layer of grease on the shafts..just a little dab on my finger smeared around

no grease. Period. It just attracts belt dust and makes goo.

They are designed to be clean and dry.

Now if you were drag racing and servicing the clutches every round, maybe, but from what I've found dry is the only way to go.

I use Carb cleaner instead of brake clean. It seems to be more of a solvent than the brake clean.

Edited by Roosting

6 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Now if you were drag racing and servicing the clutches every round, maybe, but from what I've found dry is the only way to go.

I use Carb cleaner instead of brake clean. It seems to be more of a solvent than the brake clean.

Thank you. I just popped the rollers off and made sure the was no gunk on the shafts and inside the rollers. Put them back on dry.

with those all cleaned up and working properly you should feel a seat of the pants improvement in the clutching for sure.

My ice oval sled if there was a slight hint of belt dust anywhere pri or sec it would increase clutch stiction just enough to affect the hole shot.

Belt dust is the killer. Hell if you got air give them a blast after a ride and see the cloud of dust that comes off them.  Good clutch alignment reduces this greatly.

Roosting covered it all.  No lubrication on a trail/play sled secondary.  The wear to the washer and sheaves is normal for a Team secondary.  Rigid covered it on the derlins.  under the cup, inside the cup and on the top of the spring (under the spring retainer/roller assembly).  Where you were pointing with your finger is where the third derlin washer goes.  

This secondary should be as good as new after this service.  This may not cure all of your clutching issues.  It's hard to tell without being there and feeling how stiff things were when they came apart.  After you finish the secondary you need to give the primary a once over.  

Upon reassembly, when you get ready to compress the spring and retainer/roller assembly there are alignment splines that must match up.  They are super easy to see but not always easy to align as you compress everything in place.  Don't force the assembly together you could damage the splines.  Once I have the splines aligned and the spring compressed partially I will apply light pressure with the clutch tool trying to engage the splines.  IF they don't engage immediately I will give a light tap with a dead blow and try again to crank down on the clutch tool.  I usually get the splines aligned within a try or two.  

Reassembly is not difficult but without a tool to compress the roller assembly in place it's sometimes tricky to get the splines aligned.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Roosting covered it all.  No lubrication on a trail/play sled secondary.  The wear to the washer and sheaves is normal for a Team secondary.  Rigid covered it on the derlins.  under the cup, inside the cup and on the top of the spring (under the spring retainer/roller assembly).  Where you were pointing with your finger is where the third derlin washer goes.  

This secondary should be as good as new after this service.  This may not cure all of your clutching issues.  It's hard to tell without being there and feeling how stiff things were when they came apart.  After you finish the secondary you need to give the primary a once over.  

Upon reassembly, when you get ready to compress the spring and retainer/roller assembly there are alignment splines that must match up.  They are super easy to see but not always easy to align as you compress everything in place.  Don't force the assembly together you could damage the splines.  Once I have the splines aligned and the spring compressed partially I will apply light pressure with the clutch tool trying to engage the splines.  IF they don't engage immediately I will give a light tap with a dead blow and try again to crank down on the clutch tool.  I usually get the splines aligned within a try or two.  

Reassembly is not difficult but without a tool to compress the roller assembly in place it's sometimes tricky to get the splines aligned.  

Thank you! I spotted the blind spline (I think it is called?). 

I picked up the "new" delrin washers. They are not new. Probably the ones I have just out of another clutch they did. They were $8 so I bought them anyways.

Well I have the clutch back together.

I know it is pretty hard to fuck up but I am sweating a little lol. So I have 3 used delrin washers and reused the torx on the Helix. I put blue loctite on all the screws  and tighten them as much as I dare before I stripped them. They are $11 per screw and the dealers only have "1" in stock.

Epi sells a kit with rollers, roller washers, roller c clips, and those torx screws for the same price as the dealer wants for just the rollers. I think I may buy that when doing fall prep for next season along with 3 new delrin washers. 

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I know this probably didn't fit in the "not beginners lessons" but it was extremely nice and helpful to be able to ask people questions that knew what they were talking about.

I am working today, hopefully only a half day. When I am done I am going to throw this on the sled and see how she does. Will report back after that.

Thank you!

15491174059152293967286520543186.jpg

15491174302381917422063101780326.jpg

Edited by Tomas.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Finally did some post break in speed runs on the 600r this morning. The clutching shifted out at 7700 and I hit a brick wall at 93 on the speedo. Looks like I'm breaking out the wrenches when we get home this evening...

1 hour ago, Wildboer said:

Finally did some post break in speed runs on the 600r this morning. The clutching shifted out at 7700 and I hit a brick wall at 93 on the speedo. Looks like I'm breaking out the wrenches when we get home this evening...

So like 85 mph, what turdcutter a 600 is. :lol:

Well it looks like I am heading into the primary. It made a difference but did not solve the problem. It now seems to dangle the skis a little bit when it has good traction.

I made a bunch of passes on a lake that had around 3 inches of fresh on hard pack. I was getting 65 mph consistently. One time when I used path I already went on, I hit 70 mph. Before the secondary service, my max mph on the gauge was 61 mph no matter what I did. 

Belt defection is good and still hitting 8100 rpm

Edited by Tomas.

16 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Well it looks like I am heading into the primary. It made a difference but did not solve the problem. It now seems to dangle the skis a little bit when it has good traction.

I made a bunch of passes on a lake that had around 3 inches of fresh on hard pack. I was getting 65 mph consistently. One time when I used path I already went on, I hit 70 mph. Before the secondary service, my max mph on the gauge was 61 mph no matter what I did. 

Belt defection is good and still hitting 8100 rpm

What sled is this??

8 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

What sled is this??

2008 Polaris 700 Dragon Switchback. Stretched to a 144" with 2" paddles running a 21t top gear and a 40t bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally fuckin got around to adjusting the clickers on my clutch, bumped it up one notch from 3 to 4. This is supposed to give me a 200 RPM bump, which would put my top RPM from 7900 to 8100, which is right were Doo recommends.

While I was doing this I noticed my deflection was low, so I bumped it up to where the manual suggested... but now I'm wondering, does deflection affect top RPM? If so, how much? I made a decent adjustment to it, not just a tweak. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

Finally fuckin got around to adjusting the clickers on my clutch, bumped it up one notch from 3 to 4. This is supposed to give me a 200 RPM bump, which would put my top RPM from 7900 to 8100, which is right were Doo recommends.

While I was doing this I noticed my deflection was low, so I bumped it up to where the manual suggested... but now I'm wondering, does deflection affect top RPM? If so, how much? I made a decent adjustment to it, not just a tweak. 

I adjust my deflection ever 3-4 rides or 300-400mi...it's so easy,.couple of minutes

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I adjust my deflection ever 3-4 rides or 300-400mi...it's so easy,.couple of minutes

I've been meaning to the last few times I've been riding. I hadn't even checked it in 1,000 miles because I kept cracking open a couple beers and forgetting when we got back to the house.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, Tomas. said:

2008 Polaris 700 Dragon Switchback. Stretched to a 144" with 2" paddles running a 21t top gear and a 40t bottom.

fyi my 153 m8 only got 82 top speed my 850 summit will do 85 on hard pack max 

those big tracks and low gearing are not built for top speed 

you may never see 75 out of that dragon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

fyi my 153 m8 only got 82 top speed my 850 summit will do 85 on hard pack max 

those big tracks and low gearing are not built for top speed 

you may never see 75 out of that dragon 

According to the Polaris gear chart. It is one top tooth less than factory and should be good for 93 mph on a 136" and stock track

On 2/2/2019 at 12:45 PM, Wildboer said:

That’s an XRS right? The gearing is a bit lower on those. Might want a bigger top gear. I got more top end on my etec 600 that way. 

• Like 1

Wednesday we had a pretty big storm.  Finally took the time to use my new clutch alignment bar.  Took out a .030" spacer and now it's perfect.  That night I exploded a belt about a 1/4 mile from my house.  Like cords everywhere and nothing but little pieces, exploded. 

Today I finally got time to clean it all up.  Pulled both clutches off, cleaned them up, vacuumed up what I could, and blew out the rest.  Took an hour or so to get everything cleaned up.  Scrubbed the new belt in hot soapy water.  Put it on and set the deflection.  Used belt went back on a spare.  New belt is in the mail.

Went to change my brake fluid to some new high temp DOT 4 since the old stuff was getting nasty.  Took a couple hours to get that done.  Only way to get it to start to pushing enough fluid to bleed was to take a syringe and push it up through the caliper.  Traditional bleeding method didn't work.  Neither did a vacuum bleeder.  Never seen anything like it.

Worst part is 25 miles of 3/4 throttle to break in new belt...

On 2/1/2019 at 3:51 PM, Roosting said:

Yeah grease will just attract belt dust. 

On 2/21/2019 at 10:31 PM, Edmo said:

That’s an XRS right? The gearing is a bit lower on those. Might want a bigger top gear. I got more top end on my etec 600 that way. 

To be honest I'm more interested in making sure my clutch is properly set up than I am at seeing the highest top end number possible. 99% of the time I'm on trails where the lower gearing is preferable. According to the website the 2020 TNT and XRS have the same gearing though, I'm not 100% but I think it was the same with the 2019's. The XRS isn't as close to the racer as it was when it first came out.

Thought I’d fire up the heat and spend some time doing basic maintenance today and give everything a good mid season once over.  Clutches are filthy so, scrub city.  All looks good though...comp. good, plugs burning perfect, need to tighten track a nudge and these big snow conditions warrant some more air in the evols so....up they go!  WHAT A WINTER!!!  Wooo hoooo!!!!!

Just a simple zip tie trick but, not sure if you guys do this.  A quick visual to see where your shocks are set while riding.  2-3 inches of movement is good.

F4295936-BB14-4855-949A-96797782672C.jpeg

Also, I have a small “fag bag” (tunnel bag) when I absolutely need one but I utilize other spots to hold shit instead.  I hate extra shit on my tunnel ( @Sal Rosenberg )

MAYONAISE BABY!!!  Yeah..I know, I don’t have an oil res there so it’s easy but, plenty of places to tuck and tie shit.

DC79C162-97C8-4BA9-8D57-C75B1EDEFDA0.jpeg

• Like 2