Check your account email address ×

wrenchin sleds !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 not beginner lessons!!11

f7ben

21 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Black, yes.  Not powder coating.  Just gonna rough up, prime and paint with rattle can auto paint.  Works like a charm!

You've got it apart, you've got PLENTY of time.  Don't be a cheap fuckin kike. Take them in and get them done right, faggot 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS

3 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

You've got it apart, you've got PLENTY of time.  Don't be a cheap fuckin kike. Take them in and get them done right, faggot 

They’ll be done right.  There’s no reason at all to powder coat some of this stuff.  Never really understood why people got into that mind set.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Not sled related, but I picked these up down near Columbus last Friday for the new truck for winter tires. 

IMG_20190830_203733222.thumb.jpg.45e509a4f3861ad24eeb0cf38c214668.jpg

Dropped them off at powder coater today.  

What size track do those go on?

:roflcrying:

30 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Hey @SVT MXZ XRS  properly prepped, primed and 3 coats of automotive semi-gloss enamel.  Guaranteed they’ll hold up just fine.  Only if I was beating brush all day would I consider powder coating.  It’s just not necessary.

6C166321-6D9A-4743-949E-63F35724F489.jpeg

Fuck thats all I would do, maybe throw some clear on top. Ive got scratches and shit all over my powder coated rails, spindles and bumper. That powder coat doesnt hold up for shit either

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Fuck thats all I would do, maybe throw some clear on top. Ive got scratches and shit all over my powder coated rails, spindles and bumper. That powder coat doesnt hold up for shit either

Years ago we had a big “to-do” over this “paint vs. PC” on HCS.  To my knowledge, absolutely NOTHING comes from the OEM’s powder coated.  It’s all painted.  And even then, I’m relatively sure it’s just one stage paint.

PC has its advantages but, so does paint.  Both have disadvantages also.

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Years ago we had a big “to-do” over this “paint vs. PC” on HCS.  To my knowledge, absolutely NOTHING comes from the OEM’s powder coated.  It’s all painted.  And even then, I’m relatively sure it’s just one stage paint.

Wrong, it's all powder coated.  Their prep process and powder coat is a way better coating than anything you can do with a rattle can in your driveway. 

Now will your spray paint hold up to trail riding and minimal salt exposure?  Certainly.

11 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Wrong, it's all powder coated.  Their prep process and powder coat is a way better coating than anything you can do with a rattle can in your driveway. 

Now will your spray paint hold up to trail riding and minimal salt exposure?  Certainly.

Wrong. Some parts may be PC but the majority is painted. “Electronic coating” isn’t PC.  

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Wrong. Some parts may be PC but the majority is painted. “Electronic coating” isn’t PC.  

Electronic coating (e-coating) with the 7 step rinse process they talk about is actually a dipping process.    E-coating is typically used on steel either as a prep process for topcoating (epoxy based) or as the finished coating (acrylic based).  Epoxy based won't hold up to UV exposure.  You can have any color you want as long as it is black!

They are probably sending everything down their e-coating line as a prep for power coating.  Edit, just skipping the actual e-coat dipping step.

I didn't see any liquid paint lines in the video.  Everything was powder coated.  Here is yet another video with powder coating.

Edited by teamgreen02

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Hey @SVT MXZ XRS  properly prepped, primed and 3 coats of automotive semi-gloss enamel.  Guaranteed they’ll hold up just fine.  Only if I was beating brush all day would I consider powder coating.  It’s just not necessary.

6C166321-6D9A-4743-949E-63F35724F489.jpeg

1 hour ago, Anler said:

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Those 2 faggots above are a couple of nigger hacks 

:snack:

35 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Electronic coating (e-coating) with the 7 step rinse process they talk about is actually a dipping process.    E-coating is typically used on steel either as a prep process for topcoating (epoxy based) or as the finished coating (acrylic based).  Epoxy based won't hold up to UV exposure.  You can have any color you want as long as it is black!

They are probably sending everything down their e-coating line as a prep for power coating.  Edit, just skipping the actual e-coat dipping step.

I didn't see any liquid paint lines in the video.  Everything was powder coated.  Here is yet another video with powder coating.

Still just painted.  The process is state of the art but nothing is actually “powder coated”...meaning baked at high temps after electromagnetically sprayed. I just sanded my spindles and bumper.  It’s paint.  

Now, for sure, what I did is not as durable as what was done for the factory or, if it were powder coated but, it holds up fantastic and if I ever goof it up, some light sanding with 800 grit and a quick touch up spray spray and BAM!  Like new again.

Something else people don’t take into account when getting all PC happy for their trailer queen sled is, when you heat some of these parts, especially aluminum, there is a prolonged heat cycle and cooling process to keep the metal molecules from getting funked.  The aluminum spindles alone should go through about a 20 hour process...not stuck in a fucking oven for an hour by Billy Joe Smugget in his back yard.  

Point: A good prep and quality auto primer and paint will look and work great unless you are bouncing through the twigs and rocks all season.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Still just painted.  The process is state of the art but nothing is actually “powder coated”...meaning baked at high temps after electromagnetically sprayed. I just sanded my spindles and bumper.  It’s paint.  

Now, for sure, what I did is not as durable as what was done for the factory or, if it were powder coated but, it holds up fantastic and if I ever goof it up, some light sanding with 800 grit and a quick touch up spray spray and BAM!  Like new again.

Something else people don’t take into account when getting all PC happy for their trailer queen sled is, when you heat some of these parts, especially aluminum, there is a prolonged heat cycle and cooling process to keep the metal molecules from getting funked.  The aluminum spindles alone should go through about a 20 hour process...not stuck in a fucking oven for an hour by Billy Joe Smugget in his back yard.  

Point: A good prep and quality auto primer and paint will look and work great unless you are bouncing through the twigs and rocks all season.

:lol: the temps they use in a powder coat over aren't hurting aluminum :lmao:

52 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

That is a cool video.  I like watching how things are made.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Now you are just trolling.

7 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

:lol: the temps they use in a powder coat over aren't hurting aluminum :lmao:

Correct.  10-15 minutes in the powder oven at a couple hundred degrees isn't doing anything to aluminum.

HEAT TREATING

HEAT TREATMENT
Solution heat treat at 990°F for adequate time to allow for thorough heating and then water quenched. Precipitation hardening is done at 320°F for 18 hours and air cool, followed by 350°F for 8 hours and air cooled.

ANNEALING
Annealing should be done at 775°F for at 2 to 3 hours at temperature, followed by controlled cooling at 50°F per hour down to 500°F then air cooled.
AGING
The aging precipitation heat treatment is done at 350°F for 8 hours followed by air cooling. This produces the T6 temper.