Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

I decided to smoke the ribs today and grill the steak tomorrow. Instead of using a rub I went with fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt  :bc:

Nothing wrong with keeping it simple  :bc: 

15 hours ago, ckf said:

I decided to smoke the ribs today and grill the steak tomorrow. Instead of using a rub I went with fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt  :bc:

sea salt is the way to go IMO gives better flavor than regular table salt

18 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

need to get the add on for my Char-Griller combo, bought it new in spring but they didn't have the firebox in stock, wanted to get the Oklahoma Joe's unit, sold out :(

Yeah, I've got a lot of miles on mine now...it's getting where it's time to decide to start replacing some stuff or go new.  It's been a helluva smoker though, And I didn't break the bank when I bought it at HD.  I've found that once you get your smoker seasoned up well and get good at smoking with it....it makes things easier.  You know how they react to heat swings on how long things take to get it right.  Not sure I want to go through all that guess work again with a new system.  Damn, smoked 2 butts and 50 brats for our party and PERFECTO!  Just like clock work on how I do it now.

Here's what I use, Brinkmann Trailmaster limited.  I think I got it with a coupon too.  Not even sure if they make it anymore.  Shit, I wonder how many hundreds (thousands?) of pounds of meat I've run through it?  I know it's been used PLENTY...all year round.

brinkmann_trailmaster_limited_edition_30

4 minutes ago, racerdave said:

Shit!  Well, that sucks.  I'd better get serious about some new parts soon then..if I can even find them at all.  My firebox is taking the brunt of the abuse...like they all do.  I'd better get "googling" soon.  Still, these aren't exactly hard to replace with a like item.  A good heavy gauge smoker for around the $4-500 mark will last 5 years or so.  I think that's how long I've had this one.

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, I've got a lot of miles on mine now...it's getting where it's time to decide to start replacing some stuff or go new.  It's been a helluva smoker though, And I didn't break the bank when I bought it at HD.  I've found that once you get your smoker seasoned up well and get good at smoking with it....it makes things easier.  You know how they react to heat swings on how long things take to get it right.  Not sure I want to go through all that guess work again with a new system.  Damn, smoked 2 butts and 50 brats for our party and PERFECTO!  Just like clock work on how I do it now.

Here's what I use, Brinkmann Trailmaster limited.  I think I got it with a coupon too.  Not even sure if they make it anymore.  Shit, I wonder how many hundreds (thousands?) of pounds of meat I've run through it?  I know it's been used PLENTY...all year round.

brinkmann_trailmaster_limited_edition_30

the Oklahoma Joe's is similar but heavier guage steel, the 1 I wanted was a combo gas and wood, same size wood side as yours with a gas unit on the stack end, would have to move with Kubota LOL

19 hours ago, dz246 said:

Nothing wrong with keeping it simple  :bc: 

I ended up saucing at the end and they were kind of bland tasting compared to the ones I normally do with rub.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I ended up saucing at the end and they were kind of bland tasting compared to the ones I normally do with rub.

If I hear of you doing that again, we cannot be friends anymore.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
32 minutes ago, ckf said:

Planning on smoking some chicken quarters for tonight. Anyone else going to be doing any bbq this weekend?

Going to throw some Brats on later today. :bc:

• Like 1

On 7/30/2016 at 7:06 AM, Zambroski said:

6 am and life is looking good!  A fresh pile of applewood by the smoker ensures a wonderful bounty!

image.jpg

Smoking the skeeters out of your swamp are you? :dunno: gotta keep that Zika is check 

On 7/31/2016 at 6:59 PM, ckf said:

Reverse searing a nice thick bone in ribeye on the kettle right now :bbq:

I want to try this yet on a good ribeye also. I prefer my steaks to be at least medium. What temp do you go to before you sear?

Just now, racerdave said:

I want to try this yet on a good ribeye also. I prefer my steaks to be at least medium. What temp do you go to before you sear?

I take it off around 120° and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before searing it.

2 hours ago, racerdave said:

Depends on how thick the steak is. Thicker steaks have more carryover when resting, especially if you tent in aluminum foil. Steaks at 1.25" or less have little carryover, 5 degrees or less.

1.5 to 2" steaks can increase quite a bit in temp while resting.

Anyone here tried ribeyes from Mexico? The local market had some bone in Mexican ribeyes on sale for $5.99/lb . I couldn't resit the price so I picked up a couple. Haven't tried them yet.

20160811-IMG_0862.jpg

3 hours ago, ckf said:

Anyone here tried ribeyes from Mexico? The local market had some bone in Mexican ribeyes on sale for $5.99/lb . I couldn't resit the price so I picked up a couple. Haven't tried them yet.

20160811-IMG_0862.jpg

I've read about it on the BBQ forums, nothing positive that I recall. Given its a grain fed ribeye with no marbling I'd guess it won't be all that flavorful, I might try using it for fajitas.

I could be wrong in my assumptions. Let us know how it works out.

27 minutes ago, Doos said:

I've read about it on the BBQ forums, nothing positive that I recall. Given its a grain fed ribeye with no marbling I'd guess it won't be all that flavorful, I might try using it for fajitas.

Hard to go wrong when it's cheaper than ground beef :bc:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doos said:

It wasn't the best rib-eye I've ever had, but not bad considering the price. I would rather have a good chuck-eye for about the same cost :bc:

• Like 1

I'm smoking a 9lb pork shoulder on the kettle today. I may have to push the temp a little higher than normal because I'm getting a late start. Damn thing was still frozen last night after defrosting in the fridge for the past 3 days.

• Like 1

Couple pieces of last year's cow left so I have a smallish brisket(flat) on the smoker for today. I let my son choose and make the rub(first time) with zero input from me. Should be interesting, I think he went for mostly heat very little sweet.

Doing some kielbasa on the grill later, caramelized with a good amount of Peter Luger's steak sauce(yummy). Oh and some fresh Jersey sweet corn with compound butter and a tomato salad.

Skipping lunch today for sure. :lol:

• Like 1