Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

49 minutes ago, ckf said:

Bottom round roast. I was planning on bringing it to 200 and pulling until I read online that it's to lean a cut to do that with. I need to pick up a chuck sometime and try it.

I just sliced some of the leftovers for a sandwich, very good that way :bc:

On my phone now. Biggie remind tonight when I am on my laptop. Bottom Round is a piece of meat that should be cooked to well done then sliced some what thin and put down in a liquid for like Italian beef sandwiches. Today apple smoked Baby back with sweet Jack Danels old #7 sauce.😂

IMG_20160612_132942789_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

On my phone now. Biggie remind tonight when I am on my laptop. Bottom Round is a piece of meat that should be cooked to well done then sliced some what thin and put down in a liquid for like Italian beef sandwiches. Today apple smoked Baby back with sweet Jack Danels old #7 sauce.😂

IMG_20160612_132942789_HDR.jpg

Will do and that looks delicious!

• Like 1

Smoked 6 pork butts for my brother's grooms dinner on Friday.  Started the 18.5" WSM at 7:30 PM Thursday, meat on at 8:30 PM.  Ran 200-250 F most of the time.  All were fully tender at 4 PM on Friday, so I wrapped them and put in cooler with old towels.  Went to the rehersal, came home at around 6, and shredded them at 630.  Bark was still firm even in foil for a little over 2 hours.  

I messed up at Costco and got boneless pork shoulders ($1.99/lb, robbery).  Not sure if they always remove the bone but they were completely falling apart.  Had to tie them up with butchers twine in both directions.  Some of the areas did dry out a bit as they weren't protected well for a 20 hour smoke.  Meat was Smithfield Premium and looked nice other than having the bones removed.  Thought they would cook faster than normally but they cooked about the same.

Overall, turned out really well.  "Legendary" was one of the comments I got.  By far the best pulled pork recipe I've used.  I did mop once with the recommended mopping sauce.  Ends up being a pain in the ass, switched to apple cider in a spray bottle instead.  The included sauce recipe is a must.  Balances the pepper in the rub nicely.  I usually halve the red pepper in the recipe.  Those with stronger stomachs could use the full amount.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

K2hOEw0H0krZcBuEjZpT-G7MBjtWJ5yRYaVIkZSl

• Like 1

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

Smoked 6 pork butts for my brother's grooms dinner on Friday.  Started the 18.5" WSM at 7:30 PM Thursday, meat on at 8:30 PM.  Ran 200-250 F most of the time.  All were fully tender at 4 PM on Friday, so I wrapped them and put in cooler with old towels.  Went to the rehersal, came home at around 6, and shredded them at 630.  Bark was still firm even in foil for a little over 2 hours.  

I messed up at Costco and got boneless pork shoulders ($1.99/lb, robbery).  Not sure if they always remove the bone but they were completely falling apart.  Had to tie them up with butchers twine in both directions.  Some of the areas did dry out a bit as they weren't protected well for a 20 hour smoke.  Meat was Smithfield Premium and looked nice other than having the bones removed.  Thought they would cook faster than normally but they cooked about the same.

Overall, turned out really well.  "Legendary" was one of the comments I got.  By far the best pulled pork recipe I've used.  I did mop once with the recommended mopping sauce.  Ends up being a pain in the ass, switched to apple cider in a spray bottle instead.  The included sauce recipe is a must.  Balances the pepper in the rub nicely.  I usually halve the red pepper in the recipe.  Those with stronger stomachs could use the full amount.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

Looks great Imo and Pork butt price is way up this year so you did fine IMO. :bc:

1 minute ago, Axys1 said:

Looks great Imo and Pork butt price is way up this year so you did fine IMO. :bc:

Usually see in the $1.50 price range, but maybe that was only bone-in.  Didn't realize Costco had boneless, never seen a whole boneless butt.  I'll check next time I'm there and see what they have.

Sam's does the same thing with jacking up the prices around the holiday weekends in the summer.  Probably smarter to just buy low and freeze it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggie Smails said:

So I bought a pork loin today and looking for ideas on how to cook it on my Weber Kettle.

I would cook it to 155 degs when hits that I would wrap it with tinfoil. The safe government standard is 145degs now a days but that wigs me out looks to raw for me. The key to boneless pork loin do not over cook it they will dry out. My boss sessions them with onion soup mix just puts it on dry, not bad IMO.    

• Like 1

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

That is a good looking plate!:fry:

Still waiting to see you post a pic of ribs that you cooked on your kettle :news:

How big is the pork loin that you picked up?

Grilled Rib eye steak sandwich with sauteed onions now for the best part served with homemade Tiger sauce with a cold beer every father and mother in the world should experience this combination.  :bc:   

13466083_1193976970614882_1731636917511078727_n.jpg

Edited by Badger**
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
48 minutes ago, ckf said:

Still waiting to see you post a pic of ribs that you cooked on your kettle :news:

How big is the pork loin that you picked up?

Yeah I know.....like everything else it takes me a while to get to it.....Loin is about 3.5 pounds.

Smails....cut that loin into 2" thick chops. Marinate them in whatever floats your boat. Then the whole key is cook them medium rare. There is no such thing as tricanosis...hasnt been a case in 100 years. Good pork cooked medium is awesome

1 hour ago, Doos said:

Beef ribs from yesterday.  Probably my favorite thing to cook right now, delicious.

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Tough to find other than from a butcher.  Walmart has some but they are virtually all bones since they actually trim between the bones.

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Tough to find other than from a butcher.  Walmart has some but they are virtually all bones since they actually trim between the bones.

Yep, even a decent butcher shop you have to speak with the actual butcher, the folks running the counter generally have no idea. This one was 5lbs, plenty of meat.