***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, Doos said:

Double decker ribeyes getting kissed with California Red Oakimage_zpsentw3omf.jpeg

Damn....I think  it just moved a little. :bc:

Now what do you have going on their Keith....smoking those bad boys?

Edited by Biggie Smails

It's called reverse sear Jim. Cook at 250, with some wood for smoke, until they reach around 120 internal temp, pull them off and rest them for 10 minutes. Then sear them on cast iron at 600 degrees.

image_zpspw2tyraw.jpeg

Edited by Doos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Doos said:

It's called reverse sear Jim. Cook at 250, with some wood for smoke, until they reach around 120 internal temp, pull them off and rest them for 10 minutes. Then sear them on cast iron at 600 degrees.

image_zpspw2tyraw.jpeg

I've heard you guys talk about the reverse sear method....so you have a couple different set ups....one for the smoking/cooking and another for searing...nice. :bc:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I've heard you guys talk about the reverse sear method....so you have a couple different set ups....one for the smoking/cooking and another for searing...nice. :bc:

I have a complex array of accessories that go in the egg Jim haha. It's a lot of fun, you can cook so many things in different ways. 

There's a ceramic divider that goes between the fire and the food for indirect cooking, like an oven or a smoker. Pull the divider and it's direct over the flame like a charcoal grill. Wood fired pizzas at 700 degrees are out of this world.

In a few hours I will be smoking a brisket that will go into tomorrow afternoon. There's a wifi controller that regulates the temps automatically, so I can sleep.

It's really become a sickness if i am being honest.

• Like 2

little dead meat for the holiday, beef baby backs on char griller, pork semi-boneless on weber kettle, both with charcoal, beef rubbed with Trader Joes coffee rub, pork done with McCormick rub braised with a little local sauce spritzed with apple juice to keep moist

DSCN0122.JPG

DSCN0123.JPG

DSCN0126.JPG

DSCN0127.JPG

• Like 3

Just now, 01mxz800 said:

little dead meat for the holiday, beef baby backs on char griller, pork semi-boneless on weber kettle, both with charcoal, beef rubbed with Trader Joes coffee rub, pork done with McCormick rub braised with a little local sauce spritzed with apple juice to keep moist

DSCN0122.JPG

DSCN0123.JPG

DSCN0126.JPG

DSCN0127.JPG

Looks great :yahoo: I use the McCormick pork rub too. I love my Weber Kettle, haven't used the gas grill since I picked up the Kettle last summer :bc:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Looks great :yahoo: I use the McCormick pork rub too. I love my Weber Kettle, haven't used the gas grill since I picked up the Kettle last summer :bc:

Char-Griller is both gas and charcoal new this year replaced Charbroil Tru Infrared which burners gave out not impressed with infrared

Nice setup! I'd like a nice offset smoker someday. For now the Weber has done everything I've needed. Definitely need something bigger if I was going to cook for more than 6 people :bbq: 

going to add side box to Char griller prefer cooking with wood or charcoal but gas is when I am pressed for time love kettle, need to replace tank on big cooker, the bottom fell out on last cook me and a friend built it with a keg of beer, full roll of welding wire and a pile of shit we had laying around and surpassed our exspectations, we have built several smokers and grills.........we have an addiction :o

• Like 1

I gotta say...I'm officially "smoked out" after this weekend's little soirée.  Think we're gonna do some good ol' fashioned grilling today.  Some nice strips, some burgers and a few brats.  Whew...I must have 10 pounds of smoked meat in my intestines.  Gross!  

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fkeith.j.michaud%2Fvideos%2Fvb.1125120876%2F10206322563719372%2F%3Ftype%3D3&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

Chicken thighs and potato on the kettle :bc:

20160530-IMG_0764.jpg

So you leave them in the pan and cover so essentially smoking them. I was watching BBQ Pit Masters today and the whole chicken thigh deal where they take the skin off and scrape and then put it back is all new to me.

I think scraping the skin is just for competitions for the most part. I really don't mind if my skin isn't that perfect bite through skin that judges are looking for.