Check your account email address ×

Tipping culture home too far?

I seen a story I think it last week on top of your tip some places are adding additional fees if you are paying with a credit card vs cash, it was 3+ % for using a credit card vs cash.

30 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

I seen a story I think it last week on top of your tip some places are adding additional fees if you are paying with a credit card vs cash, it was 3+ % for using a credit card vs cash.

that is one good thing. more places should. that is the cost of the convenience to the retailer. get more people to use cash

25 minutes ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

that is one good thing. more places should. that is the cost of the convenience to the retailer. get more people to use cash

The 3% is what you have to pay credit card reader company for every transaction. 

Edited by Cold War
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I had to get our water treated for coliform before the sale could go through on our house..... They put a filter and one of those ultraviolet lights in the water line And it was $1,500 bucks. They wanted extra 3% if I paid by a credit card, So I ended up paying cash.   

But it is a tip hungry world that's for sure....   The food places that I regularly pick up from, I will still leave them about a 20% tip just for handing me the bag. Some of the places that I only pick up occasionally I'll just throw a couple extra bucks in as a tip but not 20%.

Gave them even more during the pandemic, It seemed more justified then.

the small cycle shop i help out paid almost 9k in fees his last year without the 3%. he warns when they drop off, has signs all over, sticker on the door and counter. when he did it he told me he felt like an asshole for being that way. but in the end he just couldn't afford to pay that. he is good to those people anyway and most will not bitch 

• Like 1

The 3% surcharge for using credit/debit has been around here for a several years (maybe even before COVID?).  The first time I ever saw it put on the customer to cover it was at the golf course, and since then I see it everywhere.  The idea of tipping every single service related job now, is ridiculous and I have zero issues being a bit of a curmudgeon and wiping out the default 15%-20% they try to get away with & putting it at 5% (or even zero at times).

• Like 2

• Gold Member

Call me an asshole but I ain’t tipping for pick up take out or drive tru for what?? To hand me my food you want 20% ya no. Tipping when out to eat absolutely I’ll tip but if you suck you’re not getting a good tip usually 15% and you have to be really bad for me to give that if you’re good I’ll give a great tip. We ate at the brewery last night awesome waitress fast, didn’t mess up our orders, brought over refills without having to ask, checked in often, sold us on a special…she got an above average tip cause she deserved it.

35 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

the small cycle shop i help out paid almost 9k in fees his last year without the 3%. he warns when they drop off, has signs all over, sticker on the door and counter. when he did it he told me he felt like an asshole for being that way. but in the end he just couldn't afford to pay that. he is good to those people anyway and most will not bitch 

we started charging the 3% also couple years ago. Signs all over I think it’s even in the drop off paperwork but occasionally we get someone mad about it.

• Like 5

The other shitty thing with the automatic (attempt) at a tip is ... they're trying to include the tax with the tip percentage.  When I go out to eat, I will tip 20% ... but it's 20% on the bill without the tax.  

• Like 2

Minimum tip I seen at an average quality restaurant was 18%, food was average and the the waiter brought out our food and filled our waters once.

$8-$20 for that? Nah. Instead they got zero lol. If there was a 10% option I probably would have hit it, but didn’t feel like going through the extra steps, cause they didn’t either. 

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

Easy just to add the 3% into the price. 

The fees are a write off anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

Minimum tip I seen at an average quality restaurant was 18%, food was average and the the waiter brought out our food and filled our waters once.

$8-$20 for that? Nah. Instead they got zero lol. If there was a 10% option I probably would have hit it, but didn’t feel like going through the extra steps, cause they didn’t either. 

Minimum wage for a waitress in Wisconsin is $2.33/hr. The employer has to match their wage if tips total less than $7something/hr. 

48 minutes ago, Bontz said:

The other shitty thing with the automatic (attempt) at a tip is ... they're trying to include the tax with the tip percentage.  When I go out to eat, I will tip 20% ... but it's 20% on the bill without the tax.  

Yeah I always heard you shouldn't tip on the tax but I end up doing it anyway.   Any decent service gets at least 20% from me.  And if I get to know the individual and they have been my waiter / waitress a few times.  I will usually tip them even more... They work on these tips And I know I will be assured good service from them..... They remember the good tippers... Just as I remembered the good tippers at Christmas time from my job I would go the extra mile for them.

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

I find it more annoying that they don’t just build it into the price. It’s part of the cost of doing business and has been since the dawn of credit cards. Same as some hipster places that add on 20% or whatever so they can “pay for employee benefits.” Great, build it into the price up front like every other business.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

Call me an asshole but I ain’t tipping for pick up take out or drive tru for what?? To hand me my food you want 20% ya no. Tipping when out to eat absolutely I’ll tip but if you suck you’re not getting a good tip usually 15% and you have to be really bad for me to give that if you’re good I’ll give a great tip. We ate at the brewery last night awesome waitress fast, didn’t mess up our orders, brought over refills without having to ask, checked in often, sold us on a special…she got an above average tip cause she deserved it.

we started charging the 3% also couple years ago. Signs all over I think it’s even in the drop off paperwork but occasionally we get someone mad about it.

We have been eating it. Not anymore. 

• Like 1

The credit card companies had rules that meant merchants could not discriminate cash vs credit card payments, but I’ve never seen it enforced.

Those rules have recently changed.

We charge %3 for credit cards now. Customers understand.

I had a rewards card with a very large limit that I think hosed merchants for %4-5. I can only imagine the pain that thing caused.

Most of our payments come by e-transfer anyway.

Edited by Voodoo

46 minutes ago, akvanden said:

I find it more annoying that they don’t just build it into the price. It’s part of the cost of doing business and has been since the dawn of credit cards. Same as some hipster places that add on 20% or whatever so they can “pay for employee benefits.” Great, build it into the price up front like every other business.

That's what we used to do. If a customer asked about a discount we would offer them the 3% off if they paid by cash or check.

Edited by ckf
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, akvanden said:

I've refused to pay the 3% when they add it on after. Lost track of how many times. Most recently was at the Can Am dealer in Parker AZ. Walked out went to the next dealer up the way in Havasu. No issue there and part was cheaper. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

The credit card companies had rules that meant merchants could not discriminate cash vs credit card payments, but I’ve never seen it enforced.

Those rules have recently changed.

We charge %3 for credit cards now. Customers understand.

Most of our payments come by e-transfer anyway.

I didn't know the rules had changed, I just noticed a lot more places charging for credit card use. It was always in place at auctions I attended.

I don't accept credit cards at all in my business. We prefer cheques or etransfer. The bank charges us now if we deposit cash.

I always tip. Even bad service I will leave something. I don't know what is going on in someone's personal life, maybe the waiter/waitress is having a bad day. Great service and I will tip better than 20%.

We went to dinner in Florida recently, just the wife and I at a steak place. Bill was $350. The waiter brings the machine and minimum tip was preset to 20% with 25 and 30 as options. I was a bit offended by that.

Then I was at Wendy's for lunch the other day. My employee and I don't like this particular one because the staff just never gets anything right. The lady at the cash this day was probably mid to late 30's. She was smiling good banter, she was moving her ass. The orders were correct and came quick.

It was a good experience and I said to my employee "I wish I had the option to tip her. Not the rest of the staff, just her."

I guess I should have tossed her a $20 over the counter but not sure how that would go over.

It was nice to deal with someone who spoke English and had a positive attitude. I don't see that often.

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

That's what we used to do. If a customer asked about a discount we would off them the 3% off if they paid by cash or check.

We do the same. Small town. Have no problem taking a check from someone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

That's what we used to do. If a customer asked about a discount we would offer them the 3% off if they paid by cash or check.

Yep - this is how it should be, and I'm happy to see some places doing it that way.  Cash FTW

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Yep - this is how it should be, and I'm happy to see some places doing it that way.  Cash FTW

Quite a few businesses in this area have a sign right on the door saying save by paying with cash.

• Like 1