Check your account email address ×

New helmets

After last year's saddlebag trip in the U.P. and riding through a storm that made it miserable with my goggle setup, I'm looking around for a new helmet.  I don't want a shield (even if it's heated), and would like to stay with a goggle setup ... but go with heated goggles.  My current helmet is a 5-year old 509 Altitude helmet, which is definitely not a great helmet but it's done the job the past few seasons.  I can say without a doubt, I won't be going with a 509 helmet again.  A couple of my buddies are using the CKX Mission helmet, and really like them.  Because I want a goggle setup, I came across the CKX Titan with heated goggles.  Just curious if anyone has tried this thing or has first hand knowledge of it being good, bad, or other??  This is what it looks like:

image.png.69fa5f7e51621c17e7b6938d6b666f0b.png

33 minutes ago, ICG said:

First view for me,.....but  really like the set up.

wild card would be what its made of  & the weight.

I've been trying to find reviews and it sounds like the overall consensus is good, but there's been a few complaints on the goggle lenses.  I'm wondering if my Kingpins would work as a backup set of goggles on that helmet.  Hopefully I can find a dealer in the area that has this style, and I can go try one on.  As far as the weight goes, they do have a carbon fiber option.

7 hours ago, Bontz said:

I've been trying to find reviews and it sounds like the overall consensus is good, but there's been a few complaints on the goggle lenses.  I'm wondering if my Kingpins would work as a backup set of goggles on that helmet.  Hopefully I can find a dealer in the area that has this style, and I can go try one on.  As far as the weight goes, they do have a carbon fiber option.

my buddy uses a fly carbon with goggles. i think he loves it. that is a light helmet 2.8 lbs, carbon mission is 3.4 lbs. i have a carbon mission and like it a lot. changed the inner sunshield to smoked. still a helmet on your head getting whipped back and forth, and side to side for 180 miles . i like that it is allows me to tip my head back. that saves a lot of neck painCold Weather Formula Carbon Vector Helmet - 73-4414XS

• Like 1

I have both a Fly Carbon and the Titan.  I will NEVER wear the Fly again.  The Titan is great.  By far the most versatile, best fitting, quietest mx helmet I have tried.  That being said, fit may be interesting for you.  It feels to me like it likes narrow heads.  You've met me and probably laugh, but I've put a medium on and got it on my head.  The large was the right size as the XL too big.  I wear a 7 7/8" fitted hat as my head is too big for any one size or flex fit hat.  Your head shape is the opposite of mine though so perhaps an XL with larger cheek pads may do the trick.  If you can find one to try on you should.  Your welcome to try mine on if you end up near here.

....The Fly is now my atv helmet so I will wear it again, just not on snow.

• Like 1

Some of mx style helmets need some help for cold weather.  

Fly F2's you needed to pull the liner out and plug the holes at the top.  Adding tape to the chin bar helps a ton too on those cold days.

Also found that the Klim Arctic and Glacier balaclavas work the best for me, but still need tape on the upper lip or nose on occasion.  

Best fitting helmets for me though are Bell Moto9's and Moto10's.  

I took all the vent plugs out of the titan, but also never was cold in the fly.  Even at more than -20f neither have ever been a problem.  

Below -10 or so taping the front vent was a good idea on the fly.  Not necessary on the titan.

Might be worth a call to UpNorthSports in Bemidji - they've probably got useful info on the Titan, and are always willing to share what they know.  

I've had my eye on a Mission for a couple of years, but the price tag has so far tempered my enthusiasm.  

Edited by p51mstg
  • Like 1

• Gold Member

I have used the Titan for 4 seasons, was using a Skidoo Modular 2 which I kept for cold weather riding and have not used it as the Titan is warm.  I pulled all of the vent plugs out and never needed to put them back in.  The googles will fog when you come to a stop, especially if you have been riding hard and get heated up and then come to a stop - mainly is an issue when I am in the mountains, not the trails.  I never tried the heated goggles when out west as I didn't want the cord attached to the sled, I don't think I would ever really need it trail riding around here.  The best thing for me was taking the visor off so the wind doesn't pull the helmet back and made it even more quiet.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2023 at 10:03 AM, Bontz said:

After last year's saddlebag trip in the U.P. and riding through a storm that made it miserable with my goggle setup, I'm looking around for a new helmet.  I don't want a shield (even if it's heated), and would like to stay with a goggle setup ... but go with heated goggles.  My current helmet is a 5-year old 509 Altitude helmet, which is definitely not a great helmet but it's done the job the past few seasons.  I can say without a doubt, I won't be going with a 509 helmet again.  A couple of my buddies are using the CKX Mission helmet, and really like them.  Because I want a goggle setup, I came across the CKX Titan with heated goggles.  Just curious if anyone has tried this thing or has first hand knowledge of it being good, bad, or other??  This is what it looks like:

JMO it looks like a fancy modular helmet with goggles instead of a shield, looking at the link below and the different pics/views of the helmet.... :dunno:

https://www.ckxgear.com/en-us/products/snowmobile/helmets-goggles/backcountry-helmets/ckx-titan-original-electric-combo-helmet-trail-and-backcountry-solid-included

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 9:03 AM, Bontz said:

I have a 5 or 6 year old titan great helmet and a 1 year old mission. Great helmet. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Bontz - What did you decide, or are you still thinking about it?

At Hay Days, we stopped to talk with the people at CKX about the Mission, but I completely forgot to look at the Titan.  I like how light weight the Mission is, and the field of view.  I'm sure the Titan is going to be similar, just curious what you ended up with.

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

@Bontz - What did you decide, or are you still thinking about it?

At Hay Days, we stopped to talk with the people at CKX about the Mission, but I completely forgot to look at the Titan.  I like how light weight the Mission is, and the field of view.  I'm sure the Titan is going to be similar, just curious what you ended up with.

Like a lot of stuff dealing with snowmobiling for me, unfortunately, I've been procrastinating.  I haven't pulled the trigger on the helmet yet, and it's mostly because I am hoping to find a place nearby where I can try it on.  I think one of my riding buddies with the Mission style helmet has a 2x so if need be, I may just try his on and see how it fits ... assuming the Titan would be a similar fit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bontz said:

Like a lot of stuff dealing with snowmobiling for me, unfortunately, I've been procrastinating.  I haven't pulled the trigger on the helmet yet, and it's mostly because I am hoping to find a place nearby where I can try it on.  I think one of my riding buddies with the Mission style helmet has a 2x so if need be, I may just try his on and see how it fits ... assuming the Titan would be a similar fit.

I was browsing Dennis Kirk's site tonight and they do show the titans and missions in stock now. Might check them out since I'm still not 100% happy with my helmet.

• Like 2

Not a goggle guy just never felt comfortable wearing them or that they sealed up tight enough.  Newer helmets are probably better then when I tried one. 

Had an old carbon fiber helmet that I really liked, hardly ever fogged up or had to plug it in.  Needed a new shield and could no longer get a replacement shield so bought a 509 R3L Ignite helmet.  Decent helmet not great not terrible but what I don't like is it does start fogging up when it gets to about 15 degree so I'm having to plug it in.  Being I have to plug this helmet in more often bought the rear helmet light.  I mostly lead when we're riding and had a number on comments how nice that works for the guys behind me.  I bought a blue light just so guys can differentiate the helmet light from the brake light.

20231109_093039.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, p51mstg said:

Might be worth a call to UpNorthSports in Bemidji - they've probably got useful info on the Titan, and are always willing to share what they know.  

I've had my eye on a Mission for a couple of years, but the price tag has so far tempered my enthusiasm.  

love the Mission and was skeptical going into it.  on warm days, or if you are breathing heavily the chin curtain pops right out which is nice.  picked mine up from eBay for a bit less than anyone else was selling them in the color combo I wanted.  

71+qpN1r1yL._AC_SX522_.jpg

there's an older helmet thread Doug started 

https://www.freedomsledder.com/index.php?/topic/37970-helmets/page/4/

• Like 1

i bought a carbon mission and love it. took out the nosepiece and run heated shield. very nice helmet, switched the inner sun shield for smoke instead of yellow and love that as well. expensive but what isn't , especially for sledding

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Doug said:

Not a goggle guy just never felt comfortable wearing them or that they sealed up tight enough.  Newer helmets are probably better then when I tried one. 

Had an old carbon fiber helmet that I really liked, hardly ever fogged up or had to plug it in.  Needed a new shield and could no longer get a replacement shield so bought a 509 R3L Ignite helmet.  Decent helmet not great not terrible but what I don't like is it does start fogging up when it gets to about 15 degree so I'm having to plug it in.  Being I have to plug this helmet in more often bought the rear helmet light.  I mostly lead when we're riding and had a number on comments how nice that works for the guys behind me.  I bought a blue light just so guys can differentiate the helmet light from the brake light.

20231109_093039.jpg

Leading as much as I do, I have recently been ASKED to get one of these… might have to look into them.  Having the Mission, my guess there is a plug and play one for it.

9 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Leading as much as I do, I have recently been ASKED to get one of these… might have to look into them.  Having the Mission, my guess there is a plug and play one for it.

i added one of these in red. much easier to be seen as i lead most of the time as well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i added one of these in red. much easier to be seen as i lead most of the time as well

Which one would you recommend?  I'd like to go with a color other than red.

4 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Theres a couple different ones all really are plug and play.  What I liked about this one is it has a junction block and you just put the regular shield cord into the junction block.  The other one I looked at and is actually made locally had the two cords shrink wrapped together with a single lead coming out to plug into.

20231109_141748.jpg

26 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

many colors, you'll never see it. my buddy digs red because it stands out and he can see me in the dust

I got blue.  The guys behind say the same thing it's easily seen even 3-4 sleds back.