Check your account email address ×

Trump vows to end ‘madness’ of EV push

XCR1250

Trump vows to end ‘madness’ of EV push

BY LAUREN SFORZA - 09/05/23 10:04 AM ET

Former President Trump is vowing to end the “madness” of the Biden administration’s push for electric vehicles — a likely appeal to voters in the swing state of Michigan.

In a pair of Truth Social posts Monday evening, Trump took aim at the electric vehicle industry and President Biden’s push for more electric vehicles. With this opposition to electric vehicles, Trump is likely trying to persuade Michigan voters to support him over Biden, who carried the swing state in 2020.

“The Great State of Michigan will not have an auto industry anymore if Crooked Joe Biden’s crazed concept of ‘all Electric Cars’ goes into effect,” he wrote in the Truth Social post. “CHINA WILL TAKE IT ALL, 100%. United Auto Workers, VOTE FOR TRUMP. Get your leaders to ENDORSE ME, I WILL KEEP ALL OF THESE GREAT JOBS, AND BRING IN MANY MORE. CHOICE IN SCHOOLS, AND CHOICE IN CARS!!!”

In 2021, Michigan was home to more than 175,000 auto manufacturing jobs, according to a report from nonprofit research center Mackinac Center for Public Policy. While that number is still higher than any other state, the report noted it’s also only 37 percent of the jobs Michigan had at its peak.

The Biden administration has pushed to boost electric car sales, with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) predicting that two-thirds of new car sales could be electric by 2032 under a new proposal released by the administration earlier this year. Last week, the Energy Department announced plans to invest $12 billion into converting auto manufacturing facilities into plants for hybrid and electric vehicles.

Trump also took aim at Shawn Fain, the president of the United Auto Workers, for supporting the Biden administration’s latest investment into electric vehicles.

“Shawn Fain, the respected President of the United Auto Workers, cannot even think about allowing ALL ELECTRIC CARS — THEY WILL ALL BE MADE IN CHINA, and the Auto Industry in America will cease to exist!” Trump wrote in a separate Truth Social post.

“Vote for TRUMP, and I will stop this Madness, IMMEDIATELY!” he said. “Mexico & Canada LOVE Biden’s idiotic policy. SAVE MICHIGAN and the other Auto States. SAVE THE AMERICAN CONSUMER!!!”

The call-outs come as about 146,000 UAW members near a strike deadline when their contract ends Sept. 14 with three large U.S. automakers — General Motors, Stellantis and Ford.

Meanwhile, Fain calls their demands for a 46 percent pay raise, a 32-hour work week with 40 hours of pay and restoration of traditional pensions “audacious.”

It is not the first time Trump has taken aim at the Biden administration’s push for electric vehicles to win over voters in Michigan. He has also touted the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) he made in 2020, saying the deal created “tough new requirements to ensure more cars are made in American factories by American workers.”

“Biden is a catastrophe for Michigan and his environmental extremism is heartless and disloyal and horrible for the American worker, and you’re starting to see it,” Trump said in a keynote address to Oakland County Republicans in Michigan in June.

TAGS 2024 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION DONALD TRUMP ELECTRIC VEHICLES JOE BIDEN MICHIGAN UNITED AUTO WORKERS
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

EV’s are here to stay. All the Amazon delivery trucks I see are EV’s now.

They have their place. Seeing lots going back to ICE, some hybrid.

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

BULLSHIT!! 

You are telling me all the Amazon trucks around you in NH are EV's but not down here in CT? :lol:

I haven't seen one in my neighborhood yet! 

7 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

So won't putting him in jail.

They've been saying that for 6 years now.

I don't fucking care what democrats do. I would never vote for one. Get that through your thick head.

Gas powered Amazon truck came by yesterday and I was shocked.  It's the first ICE powered Amazon truck I've seen in Arizona in probably 4 months.

I'm all for EVs for around-town duty.  Hoping they release the updated Tesla Model Y before the subsidies disappear.  Mama will be getting one of those next year if they release by then.  In the five years we've owned her current car, it's been more than 100 miles from home exactly once.

• Like 2

Just now, Matt said:

Gas powered Amazon truck came by yesterday and I was shocked.  It's the first ICE powered Amazon truck I've seen in Arizona in probably 4 months.

I'm all for EVs for around-town duty.  Hoping they release the updated Tesla Model Y before the subsidies disappear.  Mama will be getting one of those next year if they release by then.  In the five years we've owned her current car, it's been more than 100 miles from home exactly once.

Hows her driving skills coming along?  :lol:  :bc: 

• Gold Member
25 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

BULLSHIT!! 

You are telling me all the Amazon trucks around you in NH are EV's but not down here in CT? :lol:

I haven't seen one in my neighborhood yet! 

Every time I drive by the local dodge dealer there must be a dozen Amazon vans parked outside the service dept. 

Never seen an electric amazon vehicle here either, must be a NH thing or a delusion. 

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I don't fucking care what democrats do. I would never vote for one. Get that through your thick head.

Well I still care that they seem to be lighting the country on fire with these bullshit prosecutions.  I could not care less who you vote for, but you should care about that.  Get that through your thick fucking skull as well.

Edited by DriftBusta

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Well I still care that they seem to be lighting the country on fire with these bullshit prosecutions.  I could care less who you vote for, but you should care about that.  Get that through your thick fucking skull as well.

You're the thick skulled nitwit supporting Trump still. You'll get what you deserve.

Edited by Steve753

Just now, Steve753 said:

You're the thick skulled nitwit supporting Trump still. You'll get what you deserve.

Until something better comes along, sure.  As someone who clearly does some thick skulled shit, maybe just walk away and regroup.  

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Until something better comes along, sure.  As someone who clearly does some thick skulled shit, maybe just walk away and regroup.  

:lol:

If only you knew when to walk away.

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Of course they are here to stay. No one with half a brain is disputing that. But pushing this agenda is going to have more of a disastrous effect on the auto industry. It’s insanity 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Republican trump haters need to get past their emotions and figure out what matters more to this country, having a dem in office because you don't like trump, or sucking it up and voting for the republican on the ticket.  You should care what democrats do, what democrats are doing to trump is just plain against the American way.  Going after lawyers that are representing trump because of political affiliations is bad. 

• Like 2