Check your account email address ×

UPS.....seems like a pretty lucrative job

UPS's management is terrible to work for . . .

If it weren't for the Teamsters Union,  UPS drivers would be driving those crappy brown trucks for $20 an hour like any other small truck delivery driver.

3 minutes ago, akvanden said:

High six digits includes benefits, and then you have Union dues, etc. Heard it was closer to 90k pre tax. 

From what I have read it is just over 100k wage without factoring in the benefits. Have read $49 an hour pre tax. Older guys probably get more. 

53 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

From what I have read it is just over 100k wage without factoring in the benefits. Have read $49 an hour pre tax. Older guys probably get more. 

Nothing to scoff at, good money.

57 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Ive got a customer who is a union garbage truck driver. $74 an hr plus bennies.

thats one of those positions they cant fill for regular money any longer.  same with plow truck drivers in winter.   they are paying $100 an hour for them around here these days.

Edited by old indy

one issue with ups, any incident and you will likely be gone. i had one slide in to my mailbox and break it off. my driveway was shiny ice, he parked on the edge. not his fault, i live on a deadly corner. i had to call upper management to keep him from getting fired, but i did it. 

• Like 1

driver showed up at my house, said he didn't know how i kept his job but he was very thankful. young hardworking guy , brought me a gift card to lowes for a new mailbox. my neighbor tried to get him to leave and come back later. he knew i would not freak out but he called them anyway. video, pictures, tape measures, the works. 

18 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

one issue with ups, any incident and you will likely be gone. i had one slide in to my mailbox and break it off. my driveway was shiny ice, he parked on the edge. not his fault, i live on a deadly corner. i had to call upper management to keep him from getting fired, but i did it. 

in my best  ny  mook teamsta voice..............       

He did not have the proper union representatIVE speaking on his behalf if such a minor incident put his lively hood in jeopardy...                                               :news:

6 minutes ago, old indy said:

in my best  ny  mook teamsta voice..............       

He did not have the proper union representatIVE speaking on his behalf if such a minor incident put his lively hood in jeopardy...                                               :news:

i didn't let it get that far, but that's where he was heading. the first guy i talked to said he was done. 

6 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i didn't let it get that far, but that's where he was heading. the first guy i talked to said he was done. 

From my experience that driver would have had to have had other problems to be fired.  as a teamster for the last 16 yrs,  i could blow your mind with the shit some have done and dont get fired for it.

7 minutes ago, old indy said:

From my experience that driver would have had to have had other problems to be fired.  as a teamster for the last 16 yrs,  i could blow your mind with the shit some have done and dont get fired for it.

Worked for UPS part time at the airport loading and unloading planes. The shit I saw people do and get away with and keep their job was unreal. We had people that just wouldn't show up one day and come in the next with no questions asked. Too much politics for me to deal with so I left. Benefits were great though even for part time employees.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, old indy said:

my buddy had a union job in a shoprite warehouse. got caught eating, which is instant termination. union rep said it's his word against yours, don't worry about it .he kept his job but felt that he should not have

• Platinum Contributing Member

Its a system that works.  Limited amount of companies in the game and those that are have pretty efficient operations that have been finetuned over time.   UPS can pay good and shipping prices don't seem that unreasonable.  In the end the final consumers pay.  We will all see a bump in price with this last contract. 

I will say UPS at least in my area does a pretty good job at hiring.   Drivers are almost always nice, respectful and helpful.   Worth a bit more in my book.  I've had similar experiences with FedEx drivers.   

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Its a system that works.  Limited amount of companies in the game and those that are have pretty efficient operations that have been finetuned over time.   UPS can pay good and shipping prices don't seem that unreasonable.  In the end the final consumers pay.  We will all see a bump in price with this last contract. 

I will say UPS at least in my area does a pretty good job at hiring.   Drivers are almost always nice, respectful and helpful.   Worth a bit more in my book.  I've had similar experiences with FedEx drivers.   

UPS is awesome around here and people can call it unskilled but drivers have to hustle and be competent…nobody should look down their nose at them.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

UPS is awesome around here and people can call it unskilled but drivers have to hustle and be competent…nobody should look down their nose at them.

We had two people who called on us over the years that we would give xmas presents to as well as something when they retired.   A UPS driver we had for around 20 years and a Steel supplier rep.  Drivers today don't seem to have the leeway they use to but are still good.   The guy I'm talking about would drop off at our shop first and be our last stop to pick up every single day he worked.   Really nice getting stuff early and having that extra time to get shipments out.   Now they stop late morning and any outgoing has to go out then without setting up something special. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

My brother has been doing it for two years , he busts his ass. I wouldn’t do it for double what the top scale is. 

That's my takeaway, too.  Even in my rural area, it's easy to see the delivery guys go like hell and don't have a slow setting in them.  Add to that, the hotter than hell days or the shitty winter days they have to maintain that level of output.

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member

Yeah those guys and gals are always under the gun and hustling. I use to talk to some of the drivers and they look burnt out after a few years of doing it. Summer time they are hot and sweating. Winter they are cold and wet. 

Not bad if you get a good route but it can be miserable. 

• Like 1