Check your account email address ×

UPS.....seems like a pretty lucrative job

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Its a system that works.  Limited amount of companies in the game and those that are have pretty efficient operations that have been finetuned over time.   UPS can pay good and shipping prices don't seem that unreasonable.  In the end the final consumers pay.  We will all see a bump in price with this last contract. 

I will say UPS at least in my area does a pretty good job at hiring.   Drivers are almost always nice, respectful and helpful.   Worth a bit more in my book.  I've had similar experiences with FedEx drivers.   

fedex around here fell on their face. nothing but temps in rented vans. i usually get overnight shipments at the end of the day. no good to me at that point. one guy said he had had enough. 17.00 an hour for that is not enough. he moved on. if someone is gonna lose your shit around here it's fedex

13 minutes ago, old indy said:

I did the seasonal drivers helper thing one winter about 35 years ago and we were making around 145 stops a day during the busy season. nowadays thats a standard route im told. 

Yeah, given all of the online shopping people do it's gotta be crazy.  Shit - I bet we've got a driver at our place, on average, 5x a week.

3 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

driver showed up at my house, said he didn't know how i kept his job but he was very thankful. young hardworking guy , brought me a gift card to lowes for a new mailbox. my neighbor tried to get him to leave and come back later. he knew i would not freak out but he called them anyway. video, pictures, tape measures, the works. 

I took out a mailbox. Told the woman I would be back that night.

Mailbox, post, numbers, concrete...

Installed it and it was 100 times better than her old one... she was happy.

How things go is directly proportion to what kind of boss is involved. Had bosses who would burn you in a second and had ones who went to the end of the earth for you. My last boss... we still visit, go shooting together, talk frequently.  When I retired he had a custom sign made up with the UPS logo and all my military unit patches.

I did everything required of me by the union in the contract, but was the furthest thing from a sycophant. I rode the middle.... union and management knew it and left me alone about it.

5 minutes ago, old indy said:

I did the seasonal drivers helper thing one winter about 35 years ago and we were making around 145 stops a day during the busy season. nowadays thats a standard route im told. 

I had my last route for 21 years. When I got it, it was 80 to 85 stops. At the end it was 80 to 120, depending on the day. During covid I was pulling 150 to 200.

One benefit no one is mentioning is the pension. I haven't touched one cent of my saved retirement money. Grab my folding chair and park my ass beside the mailbox on the last day of the month.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

How things go is directly proportion to what kind of boss is involved. Had bosses who would burn you in a second and had ones who went to the end of the earth for you. My last boss... we still visit, go shooting together, talk frequently.  When I retired he had a custom sign made up with the UPS logo and all my military unit patches.

I did everything required of me by the union in the contract, but was the furthest thing from a sycophant. I rode the middle.... union and management knew it and left me alone about it.

I had my last route for 21 years. When I got it, it was 80 to 85 stops. At the end it was 80 to 120, depending on the day. During covid I was pulling 150 to 200.

One benefit no one is mentioning is the pension. I haven't touched one cent of my saved retirement money. Grab my folding chair and park my ass beside the mailbox on the last day of the month.

My brother got his own route now , he does 135-140 packages between 10-2:30 and then does his pickup schedule and some industrial stops. They work his ass off. 

For 33 years I never had a medical, vision or dental bill, and the plan was awesome. I knew no one who had better coverage... at no expense to me.

When I left benefits were $439 per week.

Personally, I never saw the hard part of it. Being brought up in a small town in a depressed area, working cutting trees, military.... just seemed like one more job.....

Just now, f7ben said:

My brother got his own route now , he does 135-140 packages between 10-2:30 and then does his pickup schedule and some industrial stops. They work his ass off. 

135 to 140 stops... not packages.

I did my dispatch till lunch at 215, pickups till 330, then stood fast at my last pick up till they were done processing. Could be there till 430 or 600... didn't matter. Read a lot of books at that stop...

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

135 to 140 stops... not packages.

I did my dispatch till lunch at 215, pickups till 330, then stood fast at my last pick up till they were done processing. Could be there till 430 or 600... didn't matter. Read a lot of books at that stop...

Yup , he said stops not packages. That’s right. Either way he likes it but it’s a lot of work and I wouldn’t want to do it till I was 59. That’s hustling 

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yup , he said stops not packages. That’s right. Either way he likes it but it’s a lot of work and I wouldn’t want to do it till I was 59. That’s hustling 

It's all about stop density. 100 in one area where you covet a total of 20 miles is very different from 100 and driving 80 -100.

We had guys who took their first break before they did their first stop... and still do 100 stops.

I did average of 80 miles a day... 40 of it highway.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

It's all about stop density. 100 in one area where you covet a total of 20 miles is very different from 100 and driving 80 -100.

We had guys who took their first break before they did their first stop... and still do 100 stops.

I did average of 80 miles a day... 40 of it highway.

Yah I can see if there’s some windshield time it would be better. He has route in a town of about 20k and it’s 20 minutes from the load out center 

Just now, f7ben said:

Yah I can see if there’s some windshield time it would be better. He has route in a town of about 20k and it’s 20 minutes from the load out center 

Hope he sticks with it. Hard job but he will appreciate it when it counts.

Most high seniority guys bid the routes with a lot of drive time. Low stop count but high miles. I chose the opposite; get me on area, do my work and get home early.

Last few years I bet I never averaged over 1 or 2 hours of OT a week.

Guys hated to see me and the wife out for a ride in the car while they were parked roadside doing a stop....

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

Hope he sticks with it. Hard job but he will appreciate it when it counts.

He’s damn lucky to have the job at all. He got a dui 1.5 years ago and got put on last chance then he failed a company random and got fired. Union freaked out because they were testing him when he wasn’t on the clock so he got his job back but had to do 3 months treatment. Company treated him worse than the court system did. I think he’s got it all behind him now and he’s happy to be working so we will see how long this lasts. He’s a good kid that never hurt anybody but he can’t stop stepping on his own dick when it counts most 

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

He’s damn lucky to have the job at all. He got a dui 1.5 years ago and got put on last chance then he failed a company random and got fired. Union freaked out because they were testing him when he wasn’t on the clock so he got his job back but had to do 3 months treatment. Company treated him worse than the court system did. I think he’s got it all behind him now and he’s happy to be working so we will see how long this lasts. He’s a good kid that never hurt anybody but he can’t stop stepping on his own dick when it counts most 

We had a guy leave a roach in his cup holder when he returned to the center.

He got shown the door permanent like... :lol:

59 minutes ago, Snake said:

, thats where i am. i do my job and then some but tow no line.  150 - 200 stops a day is  flying!!        GreaT Pension AnD annuity. well its really a 401 but.....     im shooting for three or four more good years to get my pension up, but  yaH  no complaints where it sits today.    

46 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Maybe the steady hustle and great bennies will give him focus and he can get past that stage.      :bc:

Edited by old indy

17 minutes ago, old indy said:

, thats where i am. i do my job and then some but tow no line.  150 - 200 stops a day is  flying!!        GreaT Pension AnD annuity. well its really a 401 but.....     im shooting for three or four more good years to get my pension up, but  yaH  no complaints where it sits today.    

20200507_183054.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake said:

We had a guy leave a roach in his cup holder when he returned to the center.

He got shown the door permanent like... :lol:

we had a local one , the truck was rolling down the street with no one driving. he was passed out from an overdose. his shit was right in the truck. bye bye

HUDSON – A UPS delivery truck, operated by 36-year-old Jonathan Miller struck parked vehicles near the intersection of North and Columbia Streets in the city Friday morning, according to police.

Chief L. Edward Moore said that his department received a report of the erratic truck and his officers responded to the scene.  Upon arrival, an officer had to shut the vehicle off and then administer two doses of Narcan to the driver, who was semi-conscious.

Evidence of drug use was found in the truck at the scene.  Miller, a resident of Tannersville was transported to Columbia Memorial Health for treatment.  Police obtained a warrant for a blood sample and charges are pending.

UPS Media Relations Manager Kim Krebs issued a statement saying that the company is cooperating with the investigation.  “Our driver’s health and safety are our first priority. We appreciate those who have helped with this situation, and we are cooperating with the responding authorities.”

Edited by sleepybrew

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, f7ben said:

My brother has been doing it for two years , he busts his ass. I wouldn’t do it for double what the top scale is. 

I am going on 35 years ....still can't give it up.  150 stops daily.....about 55 miles.      Been "retiring" for over 5 years now:lol:   realtor is supposed to send someone to my house tomorrow for picture taking and then list the home and I retire.....kinda have a feeling I am going to kill that tomorrow when he calls.    Just not ready....was working today thinking I would be miserable without this job.....love seeing many of the people on the route. Especially 23 Weaver Dr.....she is smoking hot....:lol:

11 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I am going on 35 years ....still can't give it up.  150 stops daily.....about 55 miles.      Been "retiring" for over 5 years now:lol:   realtor is supposed to send someone to my house tomorrow for picture taking and then list the home and I retire.....kinda have a feeling I am going to kill that tomorrow when he calls.    Just not ready....was working today thinking I would be miserable without this job.....love seeing many of the people on the route. Especially 23 Weaver Dr.....she is smoking hot....:lol:

Good for you for staying with it. 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Good for you for staying with it. 

Yeah...I got the ultimate route.  My old stomping grounds where I grew up..I deliver to my own house and take lunch there...7 weeks vacation...just hard to give it up...

16924072051251913420982724903936.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

Yeah there's been a couple drivers that got a DUI....they let them work inside during their loss of license. 

I had 21 points on my license when I first applied :lol:but they only cared about the last 3 years which were clean.

It's a great company with job security and benefits and the sky is the limit on what he wants to make....the OT is readily available if he wants it.  He probably isn't top rate yet but we just got a $4.25 raise in our area....not bad. Almost another couple hundred bucks weekly.

He will be fine if he lets what management tells him to go in one ear and out the other when it comes to discipline and numbers. 

They totally leave me alone now and know I will get the job done albeit not as fast as they'd like...but hey, I use the age thing to my advantage now:lol: but I still give them pretty decent numbers for the most part.

3 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

but I still give them pretty decent numbers for the most part.

My boss was funny that way.... "Hey Moe, you were only 45 minutes under today, get stuck behind a school bus?"

I can honestly say in 33 years I was never once approached about my numbers. I was scratch 2 weeks into my 30 days, and was never paid over unless something like a stuck happened. Fucking job to me was like falling off a log, it just happened.

I worked one extra month past my retirement due date and got the new batch of time off.... one big fat check.

Right out of nowhere a few weeks after it was all official and done with, I got a check for $5400 that no one could explain. Still sitting in the safe.... gonna be the last $5400 I ever spend in my life... :lol:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah...I got the ultimate route.  My old stomping grounds where I grew up..I deliver to my own house and take lunch there...7 weeks vacation...just hard to give it up...

16924072051251913420982724903936.jpg

The UPS driver who delivers to my house is the same. He delivers to the neighbourhood he grew up in.  I knew him growing up in school but he was 3 years ahead of me so he must be just into his 60's. I've lived in this house for 18 years now and he's been coming here the entire time.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement.

• Thanks 1