Check your account email address ×

Gen 5 Doo Defective Spindle

• Platinum Contributing Member

This could have ended up much worse….just saw this on FB…

Well....   today didn't exactly go as planned.   

Edythe is ok and only has a bruise in her leg thank goodness.   Her left spindle broke for no reason while we were hosting out CDS Beginner Ride today.   We were on a perfectly groomed trail doing approximately 25 MPH when she said she felt something happened to her front end.   She immediately lost control of the sled and it pulled her off the trail into a tree.    We are a bit baffled at how this could have happened and the only thing that makes sense is a manufacturing defect in the spindle that simply broke.    Edythe is very upset about this as this was her new baby.    Let's give her some positive encouragement and vibes to help her through this.

7BC1589B-7718-4940-B17A-9E31257DF965.thumb.jpeg.e40c9f07811ef5b68ddcd60b90c8c934.jpeg80D80ECE-A7CE-4E61-ABD4-88029B12E84F.thumb.jpeg.f7a889dbc00ef07439284afe80beba0b.jpegDE8C4701-E47A-4DFF-9600-F77FFD46AFDA.thumb.jpeg.7efe9dd64ba84aec3973dc8992f65dbd.jpeg

11 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

That area of the spindle certainly looks suspect.  Hopefully Doo is smart enough to get that one back for further inspection. 

Can't remember the last time I've seen a spindle break like that.

that one cast or forged?  IDK honestly.  

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

The Doo and Cat ones look forged to me.  Castings have too much porosity and wouldn't have the strength.

Polaris I think may be using extruded aluminum on some spindles which is probably less expensive and faster to produce.

Example of a Polaris forged vs extruded spindle.

50da1d29bb396f331e6242f622937e80__51107.jpg

pol_2881409-293_d349f12d-be0c-4bf2-b637-270ccf83a00a_1000x.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Good ?  I bought a first year Rev back in 03, and the ball joint that connected the A arm to the spindle was a cast part.  Mine failed one day, and shot me right off the trail.  Fortunately I wasn't going very fast, so nothing else was damaged.  They updated the part with a forged part a year later..

36 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Which one, forge/extrude/cast is the best technique for the application is SnowMachine spindle??

I would guess extruded but I'm not metal guy. 

Forged would be the strongest but I think it's really about the design possibilities the die brings.  Designs can be complex, strong, and still be easy to manufacture.

The issue with extrusions is only being able to control material on 2 axis.  The third would need to be machined away.  Figure $100/hr machining and it adds up quick.

Edited by teamgreen02
  • Like 1