Check your account email address ×

Any other Gen X'ers looking forward to getting screwed out of 25-27% of their Social Security?

For those who can math.....from the SSA.gov website:

"Currently, the Social Security Board of Trustees projects program cost to rise by 2035 so that taxes will be enough to pay for only 75 percent of scheduled benefits. This increase in cost results from population aging, not because we are living longer, but because birth rates dropped from three to two children per woman."

21 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’ve never been on a prescription before but my wife needs anti seizure and asthma meds. Those will bankrupt me for sure 

My wife is on a boatload of MS meds and is in a wheelchair full time.  She still works full time though and has recently gone back to college to change careers so she can work and be productive.  She's expensive but she deserves props for not giving up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Stop spreading the truth!

No pension here Che Guevera.  Public sector workers and union stiffs are about the only people who get those these days.

Tell the class how much your pension will be if you put in 30-40 years like a normal working person does before they retire.  I don't have a pension.

The only thing that will bankrupt you are your shitty financial decisions and lack of planning for retirement.

Working is for suckers 

25 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Ah shit...but I guess the meds are helping. Is she allowed to drive?...They didn't want me to drive for 6 months seizure free but I still drive except for work and haven't had any seizures since the first ones.....6 months is up end of June

Yah she still drives. I try to limit it as much as possible. 

12 minutes ago, soeaster said:

My wife is on a boatload of MS meds and is in a wheelchair full time.  She still works full time though and has recently gone back to college to change careers so she can work and be productive.  She's expensive but she deserves props for not giving up.

Props to her for sure 

37 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Her seizures are from a brain injury. She would just blanks out for very small amounts of time like constant little micro seizures. She has to be on the meds for the rest of her life. 

Petit mal?

An absence seizure causes you to blank out or stare into space for a few seconds. They can also be called petit mal seizures. Absence seizures are most common in children and typically don't cause any long-term problems. These types of seizures are often set off by a period of hyperventilation.

My old girlfriend used to get those back in the day, and I assume she still does? Just a blank stare/silence for a few seconds then she was good to go again. No hyperventilation, just what seemed like a quick daydream that came out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

how many of you boomers commenting are also drawing or plan to draw a pension?

Gen X and those behind us... no pensions to speak of and as we've seen in the past five months a 401k is subject to 'volatility'  :lol:

I started collecting a Pension 20 years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soeaster said:

Not really sure why there's so much freaking hate for boomers, but I never planned on having SS when/if I retire anyway.  

My mom is a boomer and she had it tough when my dad left her and hung her out to dry, but she worked hard and got us through.  

Society is full of fucktards, doesn't matter which generation.  

Exactly. There's been enough gloom and doom about SS that you should be better prepared financially to retire. If you're that hard up for money that you are relying on SS to survive later in life, maybe you should rethink your hobbies like hookers, blo and snowmobiling.......

• Haha 1

I stuffed away 6-10% of my gross for retirement from the time I was 21. Some of those early years I was making $4-$6/hr. Entered the work force when unemployment in my area was 18%. Employers weren’t paying shit. Worked all through school. Didn’t have a cell phone or fancy truck/car. Bought two new cars during my entire life and those were for my wife. Every vehicle I drove had over 150k miles and I never paid over $4k for any of them. All needed work after buying cheap. I see the expectations some genx’ers and millennials have for life. It’s no wonder many are struggling and bitter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

"Currently, the Social Security Board of Trustees projects program cost to rise by 2035 so that taxes will be enough to pay for only 75 percent of scheduled benefits. This increase in cost results from population aging, not because we are living longer, but because birth rates dropped from three to two children per woman."

Interesting topic. 500,000 more deaths occurred in 2021 vs the previous year mostly due to Covid. Most were older individuals. There’s also the recent surge in wages that serve to boost SS contributions. Overall the birth rate is dropping. But people aren’t living as long either. 

2 hours ago, irv said:

Petit mal?

An absence seizure causes you to blank out or stare into space for a few seconds. They can also be called petit mal seizures. Absence seizures are most common in children and typically don't cause any long-term problems. These types of seizures are often set off by a period of hyperventilation.

My old girlfriend used to get those back in the day, and I assume she still does? Just a blank stare/silence for a few seconds then she was good to go again. No hyperventilation, just what seemed like a quick daydream that came out of nowhere.

No idea ....it’s been 14 years since she had the scans and was diagnosed. 

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

so you're ok taking a 25% haircut on your anticipated benefits that you've paid in your entire working life?

2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I started collecting a Pension 20 years ago.

yeah, but you also worked in a high risk gig... if my memory is correct

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Interesting topic. 500,000 more deaths occurred in 2021 vs the previous year mostly due to Covid. Most were older individuals. There’s also the recent surge in wages that serve to boost SS contributions. Overall the birth rate is dropping. But people aren’t living as long either. 

just not enough boomers...  maybe we'll get some more with monkey pox:lol:

not enough boomers.png

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Unwise financial decisions become the baby boomer’s fault. How fucking sad. Allow me to get a tissue for you. 

13FDF1CD-C030-4C0C-81DC-7146E98666A1.jpeg

Boomer political hacks alot still in the spot light  are the ones who pissed away the money in the lock box as apposed to investing it like they should have .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Boomer political hacks alot still in the spot light  are the ones who pissed away the money in the lock box as apposed to investing it like they should have .

lmao, thank you

I forgot about the 'lockbox'... :lol2:

don't look at this... https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/chartbooks/fast_facts/2021/fast_facts21.html#page10

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

It ain’t the boomers on this site doing the whining. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I Iove it when ‘ol Bootstraps lectures people about shitty financial decisions.

I think the point whizzes over your head as usual.  Work is for suckers right Jim bob?

23 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

so you're ok taking a 25% haircut on your anticipated benefits that you've paid in your entire working life?

not enough boomers.png

Not at all.  You want to see a revolution in this country, start taking away peoples social security benefits.  I think some of you guys are not acknowledging what the declining birth rates are doing to cause most of this.  Not enough new workers paying into the system.

13 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

So blame the politicians, and quit shitting on people because of when they were born.  Whatever the politicians pissed it away on didn't end up in my bank account.  :lol: 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Not at all.  You want to see a revolution in this country, start taking away peoples social security benefits.  I think some of you guys are not acknowledging what the declining birth rates are doing to cause most of this.  Not enough new workers paying into the system.

otb, I'm 52 and my generation is going to get fucked because the boomers and politicians kept kicking the can down the road.

this political carrot is too hot to handle

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611dc9b20c6d4d0ac8823

what's the title of this thread?

6 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I've only been paying in for about 50 years.  Shame on me for getting a fraction of it back when I finally decide to retire.  :lol: Those fucking boomers!  Congratulations to you twats who fall for these narratives, first time in history, younger generations have shit on those who came before them.  Well done!

Amen!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Go back to work and pay into the SS system.

I've heard about the crash of SS LONG before I was old enough to collect it, never happened and won't.

This right here