Check your account email address ×

Fake dynos are ruining the sled industry

Rod

Nerd fight.  I lost interest in all this tuning shit and drag racing years ago, after lots of money, time and dirty knuckles.  I just want to ride these days.  My uncle and cousins are still at it with asphalt and ice racing.  Meh.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Nerd fight.  I lost interest in all this tuning shit and drag racing years ago, after lots of money, time and dirty knuckles.  I just want to ride these days.  My uncle and cousins are still at it with asphalt and ice racing.  Meh.

Did a pile of competitive drag racing. Learned lots and had fun. But you end up with a sled you can’t even ride 

I’m more into having a fast trail sled now. 

• Like 2

When our group use to fool around fun racing, we had 3 categories, on an icy lake, on a snowy lake, and thru the trails, ALL in the same day, and some always wanted to compare gas mileage as well. I used to have a lot of fun, modding stuff, telling nobody, and of course, like everyone else proclaimed it was totally box stock.  Those days are long gone. 

Edited by Frostynuts
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Did a pile of competitive drag racing. Learned lots and had fun. But you end up with a sled you can’t even ride 

I’m into having fast under achiever trail sleds. My Nitro is definitely not the fastest thing on snow. But gives people a wake up call . I love feathering it and playing with 850s. :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

Cool to have a purpose built toy to play though I bet.  I remember running these notched primary weights on my 00 SRX that uncle custom ground for me.  Thing felt like a 3 speed automatic, but hooked up like no ones business.  He had the same sled, but all slammed and a few other tricks.  Stock motor too.  Christ first time I clamped it on the ice I almost fell off.  :lol:  He's in his 80s now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

When our group use to fool around fun racing, we had 3 categories, on an icy lake, on a snowy lake, and thru the trails, ALL in the same day, and some always wanted to compare gas mileage as well. I used to have a lot of fun, modding stuff, telling nobody, and of course, like everyone else proclaimed it was totally box stock.  Those days are long gone. 

None o

We messed with a gas mileage idiot. One buddy had spare gas on his sled,I would poor a gallon of gas a half a gallon at a time ,in this guys sled at bar stops when I would go for a smoke. Never more than a gallon and a 1/2. He would compair how much better his sled was because he kept track of how much we all put in each day. The next day,I didn’t do it. He was convinced there was something wrong with his sled. We would also throw a bit of gas in his sled while he was sleeping. It drove him nuts,trying to figure out why his mileage was all over the place. :lol:

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

Once they are no longer reliable,they go down the road.

I have never had a sled that got to the point of being unreliable. Traded out every 2 years till the Nytro... and that thing was still 'automatic' till I sold it 6 years later.

The Sidewinder is a 2017... just last month came off warrantee... never used it.

52 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

We messed with a gas mileage idiot. One buddy had spare gas on his sled,I would poor a gallon of gas a half a gallon at a time ,in this guys sled at bar stops when I would go for a smoke. Never more than a gallon and a 1/2. He would compair how much better his sled was because he kept track of how much we all put in each day. The next day,I didn’t do it. He was convinced there was something wrong with his sled. We would also throw a bit of gas in his sled while he was sleeping. It drove him nuts,trying to figure out why his mileage was all over the place. :lol:

Lol

man sledding is just a great time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Lol

man sledding is just a great time 

Nailed it.  All the rest of this shit is just fun internet fodder for those of us with time on our hands.

Brand bashing, shoot outs, SOTY, dyno, rag trash talk, etc…. All worthless crap once we are out there having a ball.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I did all my trail riding when the riding was good, snow was plentiful, trails weren’t getting closed down and you didn’t have to share the trails with side by sides. 

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Cool to have a purpose built toy to play though I bet.  I remember running these notched primary weights on my 00 SRX that uncle custom ground for me.  Thing felt like a 3 speed automatic, but hooked up like no ones business.  He had the same sled, but all slammed and a few other tricks.  Stock motor too.  Christ first time I clamped it on the ice I almost fell off.  :lol:  He's in his 80s now.

Reminds me of a pair of brothers that were painters in the body shop of the last dealer I worked at. Cat guys to the core but constantly tweaking their shit to be faster than each other and anyone else. The younger of the two brothers held the “crown” for a few years with a 1995 ZRT 800 that had a 1050 Black Magic big bore kit on it.

They put on an impromptu ice race on a lake near their up north properties every year, the Saturday after New Year’s Day. I cruised up there to check it out one year and took that 1050 for a rip. Had no idea it came out of the hole that hard. The only thing that kept me from falling clean off the back was my boots being locked in the toe holds because it took the handlebars clean out of my hands. I was hooked. 

I bought my triple piped, clutched and geared 1990 Indy 650 the next year. Went up there and cleaned house against anything stock and 800cc’s or less. Track was just a tick under 1000’ because there wasn’t enough shut down to make it a safe 1000’. Still had my trail sled so the Indy only touched ice. Running the river around my old stomping grounds with it was fun too. Wish I would have never sold that Indy but I’d probably never ride it anymore. It was ridiculously clean. 

573E6DB5-676C-46A5-BA04-4D44C0AE4B96.jpeg

20C2B64E-E82E-4D71-8CA3-1A4D0AEACCDC.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I’m into having fast under achiever trail sleds. My Nitro is definitely not the fastest thing on snow. But gives people a wake up call . I love feathering it and playing with 850s. :lol:

Son bought this new in 2012, threw a 'Push' Turbo kit on it a few years back, lotsa fun

Nytro2.thumb.jpg.ab76aaf737a4771fe1ae249c5d1ba77a.jpg

Edited by oldslowsledder
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I have a bud who had a tool at work who was always bragibg about his wrenching skills .

Rebuilt a motor for his car and guys in the shop did the same thing added about a gallon every few days .

Guy bragged for line 4 mo what a great motor builder he was his milage was better than any factory could touch . Went in for months . Then they stoped adding gas . He could not figure out what was wrong was convinced somthing was seriously wrong . Guts in the shop start filling his head with doubt. So about a mo goes buy this guy decides he is pulling the motor and getting to the bottom of it after fucking with injectors fuel pump etc .

So some how it was knowen he was pulling the motor after work on a Friday so a bunch of guys show at his garage with a gas can . Every one but the victim thought it was hilarious 

Now for yrs he get mugs and shirts for Christmas best mechanic ever type shit 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah who has time for all that?

• Like 1