Check your account email address ×

Discuss

The government decides to try to increase the middle class by subsidizing things that middle class people have: If middle-class people go to college and own homes, then surely if more people go to college and own homes, we’ll have more middle-class people. But homeownership and college aren’t causes of middle-class status, they’re markers for possessing the kinds of traits — self-discipline, the ability to defer gratification, etc. — that let you enter, and stay, in the middle class. Subsidizing the markers doesn’t produce the traits; if anything, it undermines them.

34 minutes ago, Snake said:

The government decides to try to increase the middle class by subsidizing things that middle class people have: If middle-class people go to college and own homes, then surely if more people go to college and own homes, we’ll have more middle-class people. But homeownership and college aren’t causes of middle-class status, they’re markers for possessing the kinds of traits — self-discipline, the ability to defer gratification, etc. — that let you enter, and stay, in the middle class. Subsidizing the markers doesn’t produce the traits; if anything, it undermines them.

If I were in the trades I'd consider moving to cabin country and opening a handyman type business catering to high end customers.  Focus on customer service and reliability to build a loyal customer base.$

That's a $100k+ per year job right now in a low COL area.

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

If I were in the trades I'd consider moving to cabin country and opening a handyman type business catering to high end customers.  Focus on customer service and reliability to build a loyal customer base.$

I know a guy that moved up north to make rustic furniture. He’s got 60 people working for him now. All the cabins and second homes around traverse city are filled with his furniture. It’s really expensive stuff and he caters to the folks with money. I was looking at his catalog and a night stand is $945. :lol: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

There are people constantly posting on an area Facebook page here (Mille Lacs Lake) looking for that exact type of thing.

• Like 1

The left doesn't actually want more middle class.

They want to promise you the middle class.  But they will always have the boogeyman excuse for why you can't get there.  This is why they're always stoking the culture war, they don't give a fuck about anybody anything except for getting re elected so they can make more$.

They need to keep people poor and dependent on the government.  And hating each other.  That's why they try to separate us by race, sex, class.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Dummy.  So, you subsidized yourself BIL’a operation when CLEARLY, his charity saved your stupid ass.

My BIL died in 07.

Seems businesses are crying for help right now. Yeah who needs workers right tiny.

20 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I would say it isn't a one way or the other issue.  It would be a mixed bag.  Some people will excel wonderfully if given middle class access.  Others would squander the gift.

This goes for pretty much any position of wealth outside of poverty.

Neal

Middle class “access”.

:crazy:

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Middle class “access”.

:crazy:

The south side of Chicago is only a 20 minute bus ride to one of the busiest downtown business centers in the world. What happened there? :lol: 

6 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Why not question why taxpayers subsidize the top? 

50% of people pay no tax at all and many have a negitive tax rate. Conversely,  the top 10% pay 85% of all of the income tax.  Go fuck your victim mentality. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

It is more than 100k 

A kid/ guy who worked for me for 5 yrs he managed a car wash before starting with me . He  moved back to his home town in North Eastern MN cabin countery about 1.5 yrs ago .

He made just north of 100k year 1  .

Imho did not have all the skills perfected to remodel high end  homes on his own but good enough to send out to ww2 ramblers on his own  obviously it dose not matter how good you are in cabin countery if you show up you are gold . 

I have thought about it but it is hard to walk away from what I built . I won't even take new customers unless they are a family member or real close friend of a existing customer.  Been that way for over 10 yrs now .