Check your account email address ×

Ok, this is different, a local asked me this, what say you?

Don, I want to find out if it's okay to drain the oil out of an auto or pickup truck and idle the vehicle for a short time without oil till oil pressure drops to zero on the gauge, is this an ok practice?

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Don, I want to find out if it's okay to drain the oil out of an auto or pickup truck and idle the vehicle for a short time without oil till oil pressure drops to zero on the gauge, is this an ok practice?

What is the vehicle?  :lol:

7 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

He has a Ford pickup, Toyota something auto, and a 98 Blaser.

Yes on the Ford.  No on the Yota and tell him to flip a coin on the Blazer.

Also, best to let it run overnight to ensure every drop of oil pressure has been purged.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Yes on the Ford.  No on the Yota and tell him to flip a coin on the Blazer.

Also, best to let it run overnight to ensure every drop of oil pressure has been purged.

When he asked me this I almost fell over backward off my chair laughing..I can't believe what some of these guys think is ok to do.

Edited by XCR1250

7 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

When he asked me this I almost fell over backward off my chair laughing..I can't believe what some of these guys think is ok to do.

They walk among us!  Had an “acquaintance” of mine come to me when he couldn’t get his car to run after he changed the oil.  After the common questions, I opened the hood and noticed oil all around the valve cover.  I just figured he was sloppy and didn’t have a funnel or something.  So, I pulled the dipstick...a few times....wtf?  I asked how much oil he put in, he said, “I topped it off”.  14 quarts!  :lol:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

We really won't know until Frankie chimes in,,,

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

Going back a ways.  This young guy (21) working up the drive from me. Wanted to show me the Trans AM he just bought.  So we are looking at the car and he starts telling me how he just did oil change on it.  
“Yeah,  I drained the oil,  let her run for couple minutes “. 
what?!! Why would you do that???

“To get all the old oil out, duh. “ 

:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anler said:

We once drained all of the oil and coolant out of an old caprice and ran it till it blew. Surprisingly it ran a long time! LOL

We drained the oil out of a Volvo 240 wagon and ran it 20 minutes. Mainly let it idle and reved it up a few times. It had 250,000 miles. We tore it down and the motor still had cross hatch in the bores with zero scoring. Rod and main bearings were excellent. 

4 hours ago, Zambroski said:

They walk among us!  Had an “acquaintance” of mine come to me when he couldn’t get his car to run after he changed the oil.  After the common questions, I opened the hood and noticed oil all around the valve cover.  I just figured he was sloppy and didn’t have a funnel or something.  So, I pulled the dipstick...a few times....wtf?  I asked how much oil he put in, he said, “I topped it off”.  14 quarts!  :lol:

A guy here stuck a funnel in his 81 camaro and was dumping oil in it. We were standing far enough back to see a huge puddle forming under his car. Turn's out he was trying to add oil through his dipstick and the funnel missed  the hole and the oil was pouring all over the ground. We had a good laugh.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

why?

entertainment :thumbsup:     we did a 81 monti one night before it went to the junkyard. no fluids at all.  that thing ran so long even before it knocked it scared us lol    right to the boards till it rapped to a stop!!   A totally cherry red engine!  wHat stink that made too

7 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I fire it up for a second or 3 if I change the oil.  It dose get the flow going again for a bit . Prob less than 1/2 qt in a truck . But more important I find it clears out the filter a bit so yiu don't get that blast running down your arm . More so on the f150 I do this because the filter is in a fucked up place 

7 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

He has a Ford pickup, Toyota something auto, and a 98 Blaser.

Like I said above the Ford filter is in a fuckex up place and you do it blind and can't flip the filter up real quick so always dumps out on the the rubber pan thing and down your hand if you  don't start it real quick .