Check your account email address ×

Ok, this is different, a local asked me this, what say you?

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

I fire it up for a second or 3 if I change the oil.  It dose get the flow going again for a bit . Prob less than 1/2 qt in a truck . But more important I find it clears out the filter a bit so yiu don't get that blast running down your arm . More so on the f150 I do this because the filter is in a fucked up place 

I sent this same question to  3 motor oil companies, only got this back so far today:

It is never ok to do this, camshaft lobes can experience lobe damage within 5 seconds, crankshaft main bearings will score allowing microscopic particulates in the scored areas which can cause crank journal damages, oil pump bushing failures are also possible. Please inform whomever asked you about this to never run any engine without oil at the full capacity according to their owners manual.
 Regards Kirk/Valvoline

Just now, XCR1250 said:

I sent this same question to  3 motor oil companies, only got this back so far today:

It is never ok to do this, camshaft lobes can experience lobe damage within 5 seconds, crankshaft main bearings will score allowing microscopic particulates in the scored areas which can cause crank journal damages, oil pump bushing failures are also possible. Please inform whomever asked you about this to never run any engine without oil at the full capacity according to their owners manual.
 Regards Kirk/Valvoline

Bull shit my 11 5.0 has 190k on it and my 13 5.0 has 165k 

I dont let it run for much longer than a second or 2 .  

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

Bull shit my 11 5.0 has 190k on it and my 13 5.0 has 165k 

I dont let it run for much longer than a second or 2 .  

See the guy asked about running it till the oil pressure gauge reads zero, that might be much longer than what you've done.

6 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

Do fords ever have oil pressure? 

Well my last 5.3 for over 2 yrs when yiu had been running for a bit and came to a stop the alarm would go off needed would drop to zero till you would Rev it up to about 800 rpm or shift it to neutral when coming to a stop . But to be fair it started that at about 215k and I drove it to the scrap yard with just over 250 and only reason I dumped it is the bed was pretty much free. Holes rusted at every bolt in the bed lol