Check your account email address ×

Truck debates ...

Bontz

Filling pot holes in my driveway in the rain before everything froze up for good.  That's only 2000 pounds there.  Bigger loads I get delivered but for filling potholes this works good and only costs ~$25. 

Wouldn't want to do this with a $50k truck!

pHeRAiioalxNA1ya-1h_IxmRa8iF7DikGEgqlIpdEqcp9IFa_MSExgFTLWxssZv5AKXBYNg2Yz4Yoei-4LMUA3YLFNzgIbPeM-hnYO5uoBeWxlnCZuJa2NtjrR1Kth6C2ZOPJjYsHcGjNpEzf6yOi_745NPW_2dqhijwh8FxO1vqGXKZSSBBFeEeH3nuQb_NQKHIU4JzWg-mple2qvVJP5tpnZl9AQeU0GJE0MWY1FaduSF7XTjBFFcRgLjgKzOmAn4rkmz-y6AOz6uZMT0YA7P6xsONpqhskzyZwisWGMmBvZWj5fnSKQ8rKvbSbehtittCic3G_flCWzXk72fktu5YwJWO53qnfWWmSoqK-ThHLP-GqezlZkIIKDc_4jZcFSydKQgPL8VuqCGecZ__LqDWN62M5ZfET87AXfE0Hp7vodMzB0B2MKnLeOsxaO0UHLZSfmv_hwWB8W_dvlR_QXmwF7Q3IccX72L5SDEIRIS6oeUU6afSPD4c7ID7zGpMxDaJuHlhGE5BNR9FFjULGKa8TiGLTc0oHNRFXLCdgAg93DJInEsYpLmuLCrmACCndLsgAAq9-1XFOMqCEg9Q43B_FVnD8z1BfIGi3-FJCdsdJWKo-NqgZ6-6Y1o1ufZmpqtZRb9qKReDrquUt_u7OrnJQrPjsZA1HHj-xi74JbMh0K76Jxt46lBB_dsAJA=w1204-h903-no?authuser=0

Just now, teamgreen02 said:

Still, $40k for a used truck, WTF?  Least it is the 3/4 ton.  Lots of guys paying that or more for a new 1/2 ton.

My next truck I think will be a nice used 3/4 ton.  I end up hauling sleds and wheelers in the back since I'm not a big fan of trailers.  Plus it doubles as a dump truck for hauling landscape supplies like mulch, garden mix, black dirt, and gravel.  My F150 squats pretty good when I have them dump 2000 pounds of gravel in the back!

For trucks I'm staying with Ford.  Get the Ecoboost if you aren't working on it yourself or will trade often.  Otherwise, get the 5.0 liter.

I wasn't even looking for a 3/4 ton, but it came with the remainder of factory warranty, which calculates out to about 30 month 30,000 miles left.  Truck didn't have a scratch on it, or in the bed, and the receiver never had a hitch in it.  It was too good of a deal to pass up, and i refuse to pay more than 50 grand for a pickup truck  You can pay north of 90 grand for a new loaded up diesel these days.  Insane, especially if you're going to use it commercially and will be beating on it.

22 minutes ago, Bontz said:

@Doug - are you running yours with the AFM in place, or do you have the device to disable it (or eliminated altogether through the ECM hack)?  I'm just not a fan of that "feature" at all, after having it on my '07 Suburban and '10 Sierra.

I still have it active but was looking into disabling it.

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

I wasn't even looking for a 3/4 ton, but it came with the remainder of factory warranty, which calculates out to about 30 month 30,000 miles left.  Truck didn't have a scratch on it, or in the bed, and the receiver never had a hitch in it.  It was too good of a deal to pass up, and i refuse to pay more than 50 grand for a pickup truck  You can pay north of 90 grand for a new loaded up diesel these days.  Insane, especially if you're going to use it commercially and will be beating on it.

Yours a gasser?  Tough to justify a diesel these days will all the emissions stuff.  Especially when diesel is 30-50 center more expensive than gas.

• Platinum Contributing Member
26 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Yours a gasser?  Tough to justify a diesel these days will all the emissions stuff.  Especially when diesel is 30-50 center more expensive than gas.

THe only real benefit with the oil burner is the fuel savings when it is working. Like towing and plowing. I tow a lot and My trailer will cut milage in 1/2 with a gasser. Only drops 1 mpg when towing with the oil.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I use mine 2-4 yrs , then hand them down to an employee. Havnt bought a lariet since 2010

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I use mine 2-4 yrs , then hand them down to an employee. Havnt bought a lariet since 2010

i am totally OK with the equipment in my XLT except the climate not being auto, its 1 thing i really miss.  I have heated seats and the big screen for the radio.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i am totally OK with the equipment in my XLT except the climate not being auto, its 1 thing i really miss.  I have heated seats and the big screen for the radio.  

As each yr goes by they up the standard equitment. My 18 stx has more toys then my 15 xlt.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

As each yr goes by they up the standard equitment. My 18 stx has more toys then my 15 xlt.

i remember when finding buckets on XLT's was tough.   buckets,  heated seats were my requirement.  I prefer the column shifter to the console so that works.  I do think the ride on rough roads is pretty poor which is my big complaint along with the MPG

33 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Yes, 6.4 litre.  Years back when I was keeping 4 to 5 trucks on the road all day, i had all diesels, but those were the old tech, and when diesel was only around  a buck a gallon at one point.  I can't even justify having a 3/4 ton truck, let alone a diesel, I just bought it because I wanted something I planned on keeping long term.

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Business use is different.  My first diesel, I plowed or towed 5000 lbs almost daily, and put 150,000 miles on it before trading it for another new F350 diesel.  I just push pencils these days, but wanted something I could tow whatever with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

i remember when finding buckets on XLT's was tough.   buckets,  heated seats were my requirement.  I prefer the column shifter to the console so that works.  I do think the ride on rough roads is pretty poor which is my big complaint along with the MPG

my stx has the 2.7. 24 mpg. That being said if it was an only truck I would have gone with a bigger motor.

19 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

my stx has the 2.7. 24 mpg. That being said if it was an only truck I would have gone with a bigger motor.

i wanted the 3.5 to be able to tow anything i might buy.  Wifes wanted a camper so maybe a toyhauler for the SxS trailer.  

13 hours ago, Tinker said:

Huh ? Get a life 

You're so f****** dumb it's literally amazing. 

As 21 f-150s are piled up at the Detroit airport by the thousands awaiting the electrical harnesses to be hacked into in seat belts to be replaced by non-union workers you're out recommending them :lol:

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

Well, I think I'm pulling the trigger on the 6.2 GMC tomorrow.  The sales guy I had been working with called me yesterday, and ironed out the final details - the only thing I'm not thrilled with is it's more than I really want.  I was looking for a SLT in silver, but they didn't have any silver SLT's on the lot - and couldn't locate one for a dealer trade.  So I went with the satin steel (darker silver) but it's coming in the Denali package.  As it worked out, the price was almost identical to the Lariat I had built to order.  I'm excited, but still kinda shaking my head at myself on the whole "wants vs. needs" topic .... I certainly didn't NEED this but I want a new truck!

I'm going to buy one of the fuel controller plug-ins to disable the AFM, because I don't like that cylinder shutdown bullshit.  I think that actually contributes to what @Ez ryderwas referring to with the extra oil burn on GM's.  Knocking on wood I'm not kicking myself in the ass down the road, and going back to my local Ford dealer with my tail between my legs.

Happy New Year fellas

It's a new system, not the same as your 7 or 10

I don't even notice it 

We have 2012 Ram 1500 Bighorn with 230K kms (140K miles) on it and it's been pretty good sofar. We might tow 2-3 times a year now compared to years ago so it's tough justifying buying a new truck. I think my next move is to buy an SUV like a full size Explorer or an Edge.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

It's a new system, not the same as your 7 or 10

I don't even notice it 

Do you notice the oil consumption though?  Or lifter issues?  That's the concern I've got, and reading about (even with the newer models).  

Just now, Bontz said:

Do you notice the oil consumption though?  Or lifter issues?  That's the concern I've got, and reading about (even with the newer models).  

for the most part that was not showing up till well down the road.   my 07 got it at about 90k miles. Addes a quart between every oil change for the next 50k

29 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Ive had numerous that had the issue, haven't noticed it on my 19 yet. 

Many, more than not cars and trucks all burn oil today. 

56 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We have 2012 Ram 1500 Bighorn with 230K kms (140K miles) on it and it's been pretty good sofar. We might tow 2-3 times a year now compared to years ago so it's tough justifying buying a new truck. I think my next move is to buy an SUV like a full size Explorer or an Edge.

I believe I am only around 90,000 km's on my 13 Bighorn but so far so good. I've said it before and I'll say it again, and that is, this is likely the best truck I have ever owned. 

I also don't tow much, boat in spring and fall and sleds throughout the winter but it's more than adequate for those small jobs. 

IMG_0510 (Large).JPG

IMG_1168 (Large).JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, washedupmxer said:

You're so f****** dumb it's literally amazing. 

As 21 f-150s are piled up at the Detroit airport by the thousands awaiting the electrical harnesses to be hacked into in seat belts to be replaced by non-union workers you're out recommending them :lol:

Dude I don't know you or your Ex so find somebody else. 

• Haha 1

I should add that when was I looking for trucks ten years ago, I had put a DEPOSIT on a TOYOTA TUNDRA that was called the Rock Crusher or Rock Crawler, or somethin' like that. Black with special tires, wheels, suspension, etc. It was a fukkin tough-lookin' beauty.

I cancelled the deal when the FINANCE MANAGER tried three fukkin times to get me to buy some kind of extra undercoating, silicone finish and some other bullshit for like $900.00 more. What pissed me off was when he said " well, you're the only guy that doesn't get this, everybody else buys it ".  

The fukkin punk wouldn't shut up, I musta' been in his fukkin office for a hour trying to rap up the deal, but the bastard just wouldn't let it go. When I left, I called my salesman and told him I was done. I think on that occasion I cancelled the check through my bank.

I then had what I thought was a deal on a Ford F-150.

I found one I liked and the salesman ( young kid ) told me over the phone that he would take my offer. So, off I go back to the dealership, and lo and behold when I'm sitting at his desk, he says  " we can't do that price, it would be about  $2000.00 more " . So, off I go again.

I then went to the GM dealer. Found one I liked. I had GM bonus dollars on my credit card, GM was giving about $8000.00 off sticker, and I got some more off by the dealer. Done over the phone. Went in, took a bit of time for paperwork, truck looked like a fukkin SHOW-TRUCK when I picked it up. EASY PEASY, couldn't  have been better.    

7 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I should add that when was I looking for trucks ten years ago, I had put a DEPOSIT on a TOYOTA TUNDRA that was called the Rock Crusher or Rock Crawler, or somethin' like that. Black with special tires, wheels, suspension, etc. It was a fukkin tough-lookin' beauty.

I cancelled the deal when the FINANCE MANAGER tried three fukkin times to get me to buy some kind of extra undercoating, silicone finish and some other bullshit for like $900.00 more. What pissed me off was when he said " well, you're the only guy that doesn't get this, everybody else buys it ".  

The fukkin punk wouldn't shut up, I musta' been in his fukkin office for a hour trying to rap up the deal, but the bastard just wouldn't let it go. When I left, I called my salesman and told him I was done. I think on that occasion I cancelled the check through my bank.

I then had what I thought was a deal on a Ford F-150.

I found one I liked and the salesman ( young kid ) told me over the phone that he would take my offer. So, off I go back to the dealership, and lo and behold when I'm sitting at his desk, he says  " we can't do that price, it would be about  $2000.00 more " . So, off I go again.

I then went to the GM dealer. Found one I liked. I had GM bonus dollars on my credit card, GM was giving about $8000.00 off sticker, and I got some more off by the dealer. Done over the phone. Went in, took a bit of time for paperwork, truck looked like a fukkin SHOW-TRUCK when I picked it up. EASY PEASY, couldn't  have been better.    

Lies

• Haha 1