Check your account email address ×

Truck debates ...

Bontz

7 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'm not gonna deny that I can be a dumbass ... I'll own up to that label from time to time! :lol2:

Why I'm even looking at a new truck right now is borderline asinine with a high school senior and having college tuition to help pay for (and another one if 4 more years after that). 

I'm picking up a new trailer for the General tomorrow. What set this whole 'new truck' thing off was I can't get the 2" ball out of the receiver.... been in there for 10 years. Totally don't want to go thru the effort to extract it. Not exactly a 'the ash trays were full' situation, but stupidly close. :lol:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

I'm picking up a new trailer for the General tomorrow. What set this whole 'new truck' thing off was I can't get the 2" ball out of the receiver.... been in there for 10 years. Totally don't want to go thru the effort to extract it. Not exactly a 'the ash trays were full' situation, but stupidly close. :lol:

I always buy the stainless steel receivers and balls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bontz said:

I'm sure this will turn into a shit show, just like everything does when it comes to brand discussions ... but here goes.  I'm in the market for a new truck, and originally had planned on picking up a new 2021 F150 with the 5.0 in it (I currently own a 2015 with the 3.5 eco).  If Ford had new trucks available, and my local dealer was able to get the truck I want, this thread wouldn't even exist.  However, Ford's slow to deliver so it's got me looking elsewhere.  Before anyone says it .... I want nothing to do with a RAM, so don't even bother.  The other truck I'm looking at is the GMC with the 6.2 in it.  I know every brand has their flaws, and the haters will tear down the other brands but I'm just curious on guys who've owned the 6.2 GMC.  Horror stories?  Good feedback?  Looking for personal experience vs. articles on the web.

I think the internet is useful for telling you potential issues. Trans and MDS with GM, MDS with Ram, cam phasers on ecoboost, oil burning on 5.0. Of course you will always find different issues here and there from this guy or his uncles cousin gay lover (GMC owner of course), etc. But the bigger "known" issues can help you decide with "potential" issue is easiest for you to deal with. 

My biggest thing is to drive them all in the configuration I will be buying. The one I like the best is the one I buy. 

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

The drawback with the Ford (to me) is the price and the aluminum body.  What I priced out was pushing $60K (Lariat), and the fact I pull a travel trailer (camper) in the summer, the lighter truck can be a handful when it's windy out.  That's what has me looking more at the GMC (heavier) and with the 6.2 it'll have all the power I need ... especially considering my EcoBoost had enough power - just not weight.  The 6.2 I'm pricing out right now is actually on par, price wise, with the new Ford.

I have a F150 4x4 Lariat 502A 3.5L and its no lighter than the other brands. Its got everything but lane departure shit. Just under 6K lbs IIRC. 

5 minutes ago, Legend said:

I have a F150 4x4 Lariat 502A 3.5L and its no lighter than the other brands. Its got everything but lane departure shit. Just under 6K lbs IIRC. 

F150's even in aluminum are actually heavier if i recall correctly than the GM's.   used to be a big difference when both were steel.  Can't imagine how bad the 16mpg my 3.5 ecoboost gets daily driving would be with another 600lbs 

I’ve been “due” for a new truck for years but still like mine.  I like the new Chevy trail bosses but honestly, my Tundra has been so good...I mean so much more stupid fucking unbelievable good than ANY other truck I’ve ever owned that, I just can’t see not buying another.

Just put some new wheels and tires on it to “get me through” for a while anyway.  I hear Toyota is about to come out with a newly designed Tundra model so, prolly gonna take a good peek at that.

My first Chrysler product.  I’m pretty damn impressed.  Corrosion resistance? Would have to give that to Toyota hands down. My 07 tundra crew Max was solid for the 51,000 miles I had it.  The only downside i can see is they just haven’t made that many changes in the last 13 years, still the same exact drive train and body isn’t all that different either, but resale is solid.If it had to come down to a Ford or a Chevy, Chevy hands-down.   No thanks on the aluminum body, no thanks on the eco-boost.

Edited by DriftBusta

5 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ram still has steel doors and fenders I believe unless it changed for 21. Toyota is the only one that’s still all steel far as I know. Not sure about Nissan.

I thought, and could be wrong, that the new body in 19 everything that opened was alum. Doors, hood, tailgate. Not fenders though. Maybe that just what salesman told me, and we all know how honest or informed they are....

Edited by Legend

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Legend said:

I thought, and could be wrong, that the new body in 19 everything that opened was alum. Doors, hood, tailgate. Not fenders though. Maybe that just what salesman told me, and we all know how honest or informed they are....

You may be correct and I could be wrong I work on a bunch of cars I can’t remember lol. I’m almost certain though that the doors are steel. I did a skin on one a few months back but I can’t remember the year I thought it was the new style though. 

My 2020 GMC 1500 pulls everything I want it to pull with a 5.3 but I have the HD trailer package with 3:42 gears.  I haven't pulled our 4 place trailer with it as we haven't used it for a couple seasons yet.  A 6.2 would pull better obviously.

Friend of mine owns a body shop and when they work on a Ford aluminum box it a little different animal to work on to keep contamination away from the aluminum prepping and painting them. If it's not done right the paint will fall off.  Guess the key here is don't damage the box.  I'm sure both the Ford and GM trucks will work fine.  Take dealer support also into consideration.

5 hours ago, Mainecat said:

I would find a Ford. The aluminum bodied Ford would be the decider for me. Definitely the 5.0. It may be the Coyote 5.0

5 hours ago, Tinker said:

5.0L Ford seems pretty damn solid and quick. The 6.2 is a nice motor for sure but the cost of the truck with it is waaaay more the the Ford and still hearing tranny and electrical problems with the GM. Re-sale on the Ford 5.0L is good too. 

Look at what you two recommend and the things you say.  So amazingly clueless. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Bontz said:

The drawback with the Ford (to me) is the price and the aluminum body.  What I priced out was pushing $60K (Lariat), and the fact I pull a travel trailer (camper) in the summer, the lighter truck can be a handful when it's windy out.  That's what has me looking more at the GMC (heavier) and with the 6.2 it'll have all the power I need ... especially considering my EcoBoost had enough power - just not weight.  The 6.2 I'm pricing out right now is actually on par, price wise, with the new Ford.

have you considered an f-250 oil burner? How much are you towing , and how ofton?

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I’ve been “due” for a new truck for years but still like mine.  I like the new Chevy trail bosses but honestly, my Tundra has been so good...I mean so much more stupid fucking unbelievable good than ANY other truck I’ve ever owned that, I just can’t see not buying another.

Just put some new wheels and tires on it to “get me through” for a while anyway.  I hear Toyota is about to come out with a newly designed Tundra model so, prolly gonna take a good peek at that.

Scotty has 4 sets of TRD rims at home so the ugly stock ones are as good as gone.

He's got 3 different running boards too.

7 hours ago, Bontz said:

I'm sure this will turn into a shit show, just like everything does when it comes to brand discussions ... but here goes.  I'm in the market for a new truck, and originally had planned on picking up a new 2021 F150 with the 5.0 in it (I currently own a 2015 with the 3.5 eco).  If Ford had new trucks available, and my local dealer was able to get the truck I want, this thread wouldn't even exist.  However, Ford's slow to deliver so it's got me looking elsewhere.  Before anyone says it .... I want nothing to do with a RAM, so don't even bother.  The other truck I'm looking at is the GMC with the 6.2 in it.  I know every brand has their flaws, and the haters will tear down the other brands but I'm just curious on guys who've owned the 6.2 GMC.  Horror stories?  Good feedback?  Looking for personal experience vs. articles on the web.

GM just bought back my buds 20 gmc 6.2 under the MN lemon law . sweet truck if the tranny was not 90s Ram quality 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

GM just bought back my buds 20 gmc 6.2 under the MN lemon law . sweet truck if the tranny was not 90s Ram quality 

Isn’t it the new 10 speed they developed with Ford.  

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

tacos are tiny and uncomfortable inside,   terrible ride and mpg.  The tundra is a decent truck and the cult keeps the values up for sure.  

which makes their resale value that much more impressive :lol: