Check your account email address ×

FSCE Shop Talk

5 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Let me know how that pressure washer works. Getting sick of cleaning a carb everytime I want to use mine.

Don't leave fuel in the carb and put a couple of ounces of seafoam in the tank before running it and the carb won't gum up.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Don't leave fuel in the carb and put a couple of ounces of seafoam in the tank before running it and the carb won't gum up.

I know that . Convincing myself to make sure I do it everytime is where the problem lies. I have a Subaru ( who knows what it actually is ) in the garage with about 3 hrs on it I need to clean up and get running.

36 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I know that . Convincing myself to make sure I do it everytime is where the problem lies. I have a Subaru ( who knows what it actually is ) in the garage with about 3 hrs on it I need to clean up and get running.

I always turn off the fuel and let it run until it dies. Especially on equipment that doesn't get used very often.

Problem solved.

We have a few of these at work. They work like no other.  If I don’t have time to get one from the shop, I rent a big one. I keep a light duty electric one around the house for hosing off stuff. Like Zam said, gpm is more important than psi.

FE89F5CB-5738-4FEF-83F5-49FEBF8BF29F.png

14 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Let me know how that pressure washer works. Getting sick of cleaning a carb everytime I want to use mine.

10 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I have been looking for another electric,  so much easier to deal with.  

This one has a lot of good reviews online and it just happened to be available at Menards this week.  Going to give it a try for $130 plus tax.  

One downside is there is no hose reel for rolling up the hose.  

On 5/22/2019 at 8:35 PM, racinfarmer said:

Anyone have that tool that is really important, but hardly ever used?

What is it?

Probably a hand impact for me.

For me probably snap ring pliers. I bought a set over a year ago and have never used them. But when I need them I'll be thanking my past self.

10 hours ago, snoughnut said:

I have one with a Honda engine that I've had for 6 years now, never touched the carb and she fires up and purrs like a kitten every time I use it.

Exactly.  Buy cheap junk expect it to be just that.

Last weekend we power washed our deck to get ready for staining. My FIL wanted to used the little electric one he had. Been there, done that, took forever.  Pulled out my Honda gas one with a 5hp engine. 2.5 gpm at something like 2500 psi.  40 degree nozzle, pull up a few fibers no worse than the electric one.

I hadn't used it for at least a year. Dont think I used it last year at all.  I dumped out all old gas, filled with fresh 91 nonoxy and it started first pull. I couldn't hardly believe it.

17 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

For me probably snap ring pliers. I bought a set over a year ago and have never used them. But when I need them I'll be thanking my past self.

Exactly.  Buy cheap junk expect it to be just that.

Last weekend we power washed our deck to get ready for staining. My FIL wanted to used the little electric one he had. Been there, done that, took forever.  Pulled out my Honda gas one with a 5hp engine. 2.5 gpm at something like 2500 psi.  40 degree nozzle, pull up a few fibers no worse than the electric one.

I hadn't used it for at least a year. Dont think I used it last year at all.  I dumped out all old gas, filled with fresh 91 nonoxy and it started first pull. I couldn't hardly believe it.

Decided against a gas machine for home at this time.  Was going to go with a $500+ machine, but just wanted something for smaller stuff and the deck for now.

9 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Picked this up from harbor freight...  25% off and already cheap price of this Chinese junk.

439B1ECB-AC9D-422F-A71C-2E4CE4E342E5.thumb.jpeg.9094bc31946ee6c9852ecb9068befc95.jpeg

I have one of those in my shop that I bought on sale 6-7 years ago. I've never used it.

On 5/29/2019 at 7:02 PM, racinfarmer said:

Boozed up and on the Amazons. 

This could be good.

Local shop wants $800 for condenser replacement.  Dealer want's nearly $1500

$111.81 for the condenser:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGX4FBQ/?coliid=I3G12BNZ223OXJ&colid=2YY8CSUSHHLSV&psc=0

$11.99 for the R134A can valve:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D18WVFD/?coliid=ICFW3SYNNMGBC&colid=2YY8CSUSHHLSV&psc=0

$97.55 for the vacuum:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-3-5CFM-Vacuum-Manifold-Gauge/dp/B01AFMVN6M

$10.57 for the compressor oil:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012PDTS2/?coliid=I1STMRNRCVY2NF&colid=2YY8CSUSHHLSV&psc=0

$25.95 for 3 cans of R134a:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKNLQJQ/?coliid=IRBUVX0XYF3SK&colid=2YY8CSUSHHLSV&psc=0

Total: $257.84

On 6/5/2019 at 12:45 PM, NaturallyAspirated said:

Some of the parts stores will rent you the vacuum pump for free.  Still need a set of a/c gauges.  I have the HF gauges.  Planned just on using them to top things off.  If it needs any more work than that the guy down the road can fix it.

Just ordered the 1/4" version of this torque wrench.  No more broken bolts for this guy.  Don't trust my Craftsman one as far as I can throw it.

My valve cover gasket is shot.  Torque is 89 in-lbs.  Will pay for itself in one job.  Should come in handy on the sled too.

image.png.7c8f3dba58f19a98d35e1fa06e779cad.png

On 6/5/2019 at 12:45 PM, NaturallyAspirated said:

Pleasantly surprised by the quality of the manifold gauge set that came with the $97.55 vacuum pump, and gauge combo.

2019ac1.jpg

Looks like I got the leak, seemed to hold about -29inHg on the low side and -28 on the high side (offset of the pic makes it look like -30!).

2019ac2.jpg

Put in about 1.5# and got 30# on the low about about 180# on the high side.  :bc:

Neal

28 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i had 3 compressors replaced before they finally figured out the bracket let it flex and when it did the hole opened and dumped all the refrigerant.  the hose is a fairly easy fix.  

The condenser is a well known issue with these rigs.  Class action lawsuit and all.

Neal

8 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

The condenser is a well known issue with these rigs.  Class action lawsuit and all.

Neal

You could have swung by and barrowed one of my pumps and gages. 

9 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

Getting ready to do mine on my GMC. Run into any snags or got any tips?

Edited by Rigid1

11 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I'd recommend getting a 10mm ratchet wrench for the tie bar bolts, those 6 suck to get out.  Remove the second battery tray to get the one behind the washer fluid bottle.  

Neal

Yeah, I have a set of metric ratcheting box ends..How long did I take?

4 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

They need to work on their marketing.  Here is their top 3 features.  

• Metric Ratcheting Wrench
  • This product is highly durable
  • This product is made in China

I have their swivel head version of them.  Really don't use them that much but come in handy for certain applications.