Check your account email address ×

Don’t let your kids grow up to be little queers

55 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

My kayaks could be worth more than your clown car. 

Just goes to show how stupid one could be to pay more for a kayak than a vehicle and then brag about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Duke KaBoom said:

So my boy (10 at the time) seen this old Honda trike at an auction sale. Pretty decent shape but didn’t run because it had no compression 

he wanted it, and he had money saved up. I told him he could buy it but he had to get his own bidder number and bid himself. So we went and got him a number and he waited by that thing until it was time and he got it for $200

so I told him I’d buy the parts but he had to fix it himself. Told him to use google and you tube. He had the top and apart that night and found a bent valve 

so i ordered the parts. I needed up helping him change the valves just because it’s hard but that’s all I did. I told him about timing the engine properly so he researched it and did all that. 

You should have seen his face when it actually fired up. Priceless 

he’s been putting miles on it like crazy and now just wired in a switch for the headlight so it works now. Learning like crazy 

so much better than video game nerds. 

I did help him fine tune it some. The carb ended up being wore out and Shitty so I ordered a complete new Chinese one off eBuy for $25 and it actually works great 

7D96DA5E-A9FA-413D-B769-14FC20A6CD51.jpeg

1A44A39C-32BA-4BF6-8E14-C632A4610630.jpeg

Good stuff Duke.  :bc: 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Good on you sludgy!  :bc:

My 13 year old nephew is scared of his own shadow because my sil wont let him do anything "too dangerous" but the kid can play fortnight like nobody's business. Pretty sad if you ask me.

My 12 & 14 year old nieces on the other hand drive a 15ft Boston Whaler all around the lake with their friends going skiing and tubing, having a blast all day long.

Not letting kids do anything is pure bullshit 

7 hours ago, hayward said:

Just goes to show how stupid one could be to pay more for a kayak than a vehicle and then brag about it.

I paid 5x as much for my first new sled as my current vehicle was worth at the time. :lol:

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
42 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

I paid 5x as much for my first new sled as my current vehicle was worth at the time. :lol:

Hey I paid $500 more for my current sled then I did for my wife's current vehicle.

12 hours ago, Duke KaBoom said:

For sure. He’s always puttering on something. Seldom watches TV. 

But he has such older kid interests it segregates him a little socially. He likes trucks, quads, snowmobiling, operating equipment, building things.  Everyone else in his class just talks about video games and hockey. 

no kids watch TV anymore. If it wasn't for me at home it would never get turned on.

Just now, frenchy said:

no kids watch TV anymore. If it wasn't for me at home it would never get turned on.

My daughter will. She will get lost in it or the iPad if we let her 

Just now, frenchy said:

I keep it on for background noise to help drown out my massive tinnitus but, we all stay on some electronic contraption around the house.

12 hours ago, Duke KaBoom said:

For sure. He’s always puttering on something. Seldom watches TV. 

But he has such older kid interests it segregates him a little socially. He likes trucks, quads, snowmobiling, operating equipment, building things.  Everyone else in his class just talks about video games and hockey. 

I taught my son the same things. If you want to ride it/drive it, take care of it yourself. He likes all those things above as well, including hockey and playing video games. I am unsure what the video game is called that he enjoys the most but he can build his own cars, design them, paint them, etc, which is pretty cool. He recently just finished school and did a co-op at a Midas shop where he learned how to do brakes, oil changes, front end alignments, etc. He passed with flying colors. 

The trick, imo, is to start them early if you can. My son has always loved cars/motorsports and other extracarricular activities so it was easy for me. 

Now with his own car, his interest has quadrupled 10 fold. I thought I was anal with looking after things but I think he is going to surpass me! :lol:

001_1_03.jpg

016_16_05 (Medium).jpg

018_18_04 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0052b (Medium).jpg

HPIM0475 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0556 (Medium).JPG

HPIM1088.JPG

IMG_0503 (Large).JPG

IMG_1227 (Large).JPG

IMG_1233 (Large).JPG

SDC10163 (Large).JPG

Waler's Malibu 08.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, irv said:

I taught my son the same things. If you want to ride it/drive it, take care of it yourself. He likes all those things above as well, including hockey and playing video games. I am unsure what the video game is called that he enjoys the most but he can build his own cars, design them, paint them, etc, which is pretty cool. He recently just finished school and did a co-op at a Midas shop where he learned how to do brakes, oil changes, front end alignments, etc. He passed with flying colors. 

The trick, imo, is to start them early if you can. My son has always loved cars/motorsports and other extracarricular activities so it was easy for me. 

Now with his own car, his interest has quadrupled 10 fold. I thought I was anal with looking after things but I think he is going to surpass me! :lol:

001_1_03.jpg

016_16_05 (Medium).jpg

018_18_04 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0052b (Medium).jpg

HPIM0475 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0556 (Medium).JPG

HPIM1088.JPG

IMG_0503 (Large).JPG

IMG_1227 (Large).JPG

IMG_1233 (Large).JPG

SDC10163 (Large).JPG

Waler's Malibu 08.jpg

My old man made it simple, if you can’t learn to maintain it/fix it yourself, you can’t ride one.  But, he did have all the tools so, that helped.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, irv said:

001_1_03.jpg

016_16_05 (Medium).jpg

018_18_04 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0052b (Medium).jpg

HPIM0475 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0556 (Medium).JPG

HPIM1088.JPG

IMG_0503 (Large).JPG

IMG_1227 (Large).JPG

IMG_1233 (Large).JPG

SDC10163 (Large).JPG

Waler's Malibu 08.jpg

That’s awesome as frig. Such a slap in the face to betas like boom boom 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My old man made it simple, if you can’t learn to maintain it/fix it yourself, you can’t ride one.  But, he did have all the tools so, that helped.

Canadian tire had a big tool sale so I bought the kids their own tools to use and take care of 

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

My Dad also did the majority of his own work and also involved me whenever he could. I do the same with my son and it has paid off in spades. I also try to do as much around the house/trailer as possible as well, which also teaches/shows him things sometimes aren't as difficult as it seems. When I mention how much it would cost to farm some of these jobs out, I think that is when it really hits home. He is now working part time, has a girlfriend going on 2 years, etc, so he has learned the value of a buck and sees that money doesn't go too far.

I am pretty proud of him to say the least. :bc:

5 minutes ago, Duke KaBoom said:

Canadian tire had a big tool sale so I bought the kids their own tools to use and take care of 

I don't have an excess of room in my garage so my son is welcome to use my tools whenever he likes. Putting them back where he found them is another story, but he is learning/getting better, which I think he learned at Midas?

Once I retire and have more time on my hands, I am going to get things more organized and hopefully get back to work on getting my Monte Carlo on the road. I am pretty sure whatever spare time he will have will be spent helping me with that. And that I am looking forward to. :bc:

Picture 005 (Large).jpg

Picture 002 (Large).jpg