Check your account email address ×

Don’t let your kids grow up to be little queers

16 minutes ago, Duke KaBoom said:

Canadian tire had a big tool sale so I bought the kids their own tools to use and take care of 

My old man started me on my own set when I was around 12 I think.

:bc:

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

no kids watch TV anymore. If it wasn't for me at home it would never get turned on.

it's funny because they will watch network shows they just want to wait and be able to binge watch them.   My daughter will watch big brother with my wife and thats prob the only live show she watches everything else is on netflix, hulu etc

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My old man started me on my own set when I was around 12 I think.

:bc:

friend bought my daughter a tool kit for her graduation to take to school,  i :lol:  cause my princess thinks shes too good to do anything like that for herself.  She was the kid that at like 2-3 used to sit in the passenger seat of the electric jeep and ask for people to drive her around rather than driving herself.  

45 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

friend bought my daughter a tool kit for her graduation to take to school,  i :lol:  cause my princess thinks shes too good to do anything like that for herself.  She was the kid that at like 2-3 used to sit in the passenger seat of the electric jeep and ask for people to drive her around rather than driving herself.  

Sounds like your daughter and mine have a lot in common.  It’s ok though...they are girls.  If they were boys I’d drop them at an orphanage. 

You should see her rolling her eyes every time I want to show her basic maintenance things on her Jeep.  Makes me want to smack them right out of her head.  Again, if she were a boy...BLAMO!!!!!

:lol:

That reminds me....I need to call my dad.   :lmao:

1 hour ago, irv said:

I taught my son the same things. If you want to ride it/drive it, take care of it yourself. He likes all those things above as well, including hockey and playing video games. I am unsure what the video game is called that he enjoys the most but he can build his own cars, design them, paint them, etc, which is pretty cool. He recently just finished school and did a co-op at a Midas shop where he learned how to do brakes, oil changes, front end alignments, etc. He passed with flying colors. 

The trick, imo, is to start them early if you can. My son has always loved cars/motorsports and other extracarricular activities so it was easy for me. 

Now with his own car, his interest has quadrupled 10 fold. I thought I was anal with looking after things but I think he is going to surpass me! :lol:

001_1_03.jpg

016_16_05 (Medium).jpg

018_18_04 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0052b (Medium).jpg

HPIM0475 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0556 (Medium).JPG

HPIM1088.JPG

IMG_0503 (Large).JPG

IMG_1227 (Large).JPG

IMG_1233 (Large).JPG

SDC10163 (Large).JPG

Waler's Malibu 08.jpg

Bad ass pictures Irv.  Your kid will have some skills as he grows older.  

• Like 1

Good stuff sludgy. My dad brought home a Kawasaki G4 100 when I was 11. The previous owner had beat it up pretty good. Ran the oil injection dry and seized the motor. The gear shift lever was busted off and pair of vice grips sat in its place. There was also a broken rear shock and bent fork. He agreed to foot the bill for all the parts if I agreed to try and figure stuff out and  fix it. One month later I had a running bike. I did all the work myself with the exception of of the gears to replace the gear shift shaft. That required some special tools. New piston, rings, rotary valve, one rear shock, one front fork tube. If I remember the entire parts bill was under $100. I learned a lot through that. I did all the disassembly and assembly myself. Impressed the shit out of Pops. 

2 hours ago, irv said:

I taught my son the same things. If you want to ride it/drive it, take care of it yourself. He likes all those things above as well, including hockey and playing video games. I am unsure what the video game is called that he enjoys the most but he can build his own cars, design them, paint them, etc, which is pretty cool. He recently just finished school and did a co-op at a Midas shop where he learned how to do brakes, oil changes, front end alignments, etc. He passed with flying colors. 

The trick, imo, is to start them early if you can. My son has always loved cars/motorsports and other extracarricular activities so it was easy for me. 

Now with his own car, his interest has quadrupled 10 fold. I thought I was anal with looking after things but I think he is going to surpass me! :lol:

001_1_03.jpg

016_16_05 (Medium).jpg

018_18_04 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0052b (Medium).jpg

HPIM0475 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0556 (Medium).JPG

HPIM1088.JPG

IMG_0503 (Large).JPG

IMG_1227 (Large).JPG

IMG_1233 (Large).JPG

SDC10163 (Large).JPG

Waler's Malibu 08.jpg

Very cool!!

Neal

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Both kids have their own tools. My daughter left for school with a small set. When she moved she was able to disassemble and assemble most of the furniture herself. She changed her winter to summer tires herself etc.  While her friends were clueless. She’s wasnt going to do an oil change but she just needed to be capable. 

Saved her a lot of $ and hassles when she was buying summer tires. There were a lot of used tires on rims for sale. One guy had some rims that he was sure would fit her car. She was able to pop off one wheel and make sure the rim fit.  Which it didn’t. If she had just bought them one his word he might not have taken the back. 

Kids both wrenched on sleds with me. My daughter did it because she was told to. My son loved it from young. It would take twice as long with a 5 year old “helping” to get anything done but that shit pays dividends. 

Same for building skills.  We had our kids help with building decks and a shed. When the time comes they will know they are capable. They can pay for someone else to do that stuff or spend a weekend or two and save some money. 

My daughter's been driving for a few months now, and it was time for the oil change in her car, so I decided she ought to learn how it's done just cause, well, she ought to know!!!!!111  Never had an interest in anything mechanical growing up so she was going into it totally clueless on the difference between a 9/16 wrench and a 3/8 drive ratchet with a socket on it.

Got the drain plug loose herself, oil down the arm up inside her shirt sleeve probly damn near to her armpit.  First question comes: "so how much is a filter"?

Learns what an oil wrench is and how to reverse it's direction (I ain't telling her she's an A student she can figure it out)  Filter comes off, oil down the other shirt sleeve, and the next question: "and how much is the oil?"

Yup, now I knew what she was getting at.  The figures started adding up in her head.  Next time it needs it, she'll likely do a google search and price out the cheapest jiffy lube or some shit within a reasonable driving distance, and off she'll go.  And that's fine with me, but that one experience with her changing oil that day was worth it to me, and I think she was pretty proud of herself in the end for doing something that she probly always took for granted "took no skill or little effort" to accomplish.  

But i'd be surprised if she ever changed oil herself again.:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, hayward said:

My daughter's been driving for a few months now, and it was time for the oil change in her car, so I decided she ought to learn how it's done just cause, well, she ought to know!!!!!111  Never had an interest in anything mechanical growing up so she was going into it totally clueless on the difference between a 9/16 wrench and a 3/8 drive ratchet with a socket on it.

Got the drain plug loose herself, oil down the arm up inside her shirt sleeve probly damn near to her armpit.  First question comes: "so how much is a filter"?

Learns what an oil wrench is and how to reverse it's direction (I ain't telling her she's an A student she can figure it out)  Filter comes off, oil down the other shirt sleeve, and the next question: "and how much is the oil?"

Yup, now I knew what she was getting at.  The figures started adding up in her head.  Next time it needs it, she'll likely do a google search and price out the cheapest jiffy lube or some shit within a reasonable driving distance, and off she'll go.  And that's fine with me, but that one experience with her changing oil that day was worth it to me, and I think she was pretty proud of herself in the end for doing something that she probly always took for granted "took no skill or little effort" to accomplish.  

Set her up with a local wrench. Dont let her go to jiffy lube.

Edited by steve from amherst

46 minutes ago, hayward said:

Yah well the shirt in the garbage every time and when she finds the oil smell doesn't wash off so easy she won't do it herself  :guzzle:

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Zambroski said:

My old man made it simple, if you can’t learn to maintain it/fix it yourself, you can’t ride one.  But, he did have all the tools so, that helped.

That's why the effeminate type stick to kayaks instead of motor sports. Probably some Broke Back Mountain camping going on too