Check your account email address ×

Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck. Here's why-

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

I’m kind of surprised at how many couples keep their finances separate.  My wife takes care of all that shit.  We know couples who keep their own accounts . Split all the bills & mortgage.  

Whatever works fo you I guess. Just seems weird , you owe $65.72 for your share of electric bill. 

I would love to do that but my wife doesnt work so... :lol: 

10 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I wouldn't do that even if it came with head on demand.

2 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Everybody’s situation is different. There is a huge amount of value in a spouse staying home to raise the kids that can’t be measured in dollars and cents IMO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Everybody’s situation is different. There is a huge amount of value in a spouse staying home to raise the kids that can’t be measured in dollars and cents IMO. 

My wife probably does more than I do. We just have too many things going on and we dont need an extra income so it works for now. 

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

wish i could get my wife to pay her half, instead we have separate accounts i pay all the bills plus whatever she racks up on the cards and she spends what she earns.  

Funny how that works eh? :lol:

7 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Separate accounts? WTF?

Good idea for some. Eliminates a lot of the arguments. Ours is combined, but I’m all for whatever works for ya.

5 hours ago, Highmark said:

We are.   Doesn't mean that having an even stronger job market won't be better yet.

Having massive amounts of cheap labor in the country drives down compensation for everyone.  

If that being the case, why do so many American companies do business over seas? Especially in China........ because American companies care so much about the American worker? At least they used to. :news:

6 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

A woman my wife works with is 61 yrs old. She says she will never retire as she knows that she goes "recreational shopping " all day every Saturday. Not food shopping , her husband does that. She just shops. Has 3 closets full of close with tags still on them.

Some day she'll look real good in those fancy duds eating out of a can of dog food.

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

wish i could get my wife to pay her half, instead we have separate accounts i pay all the bills plus whatever she racks up on the cards and she spends what she earns.  

Not a bad deal........for her. 😁

1 hour ago, Nazipigdog said:

Yeah,. Trying telling wife.... you don’t work, when she home with kids.  I would take going to work over staying home with baby. Anytime.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

Good idea for some. Eliminates a lot of the arguments. Ours is combined, but I’m all for whatever works for ya.

I guess, I’m just old school on the separate  money.    To me it kind of seems like you already have one foot out, but it sounds like it works for a lot of people. 

48 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I guess, I’m just old school on the separate  money.    To me it kind of seems like you already have one foot out, but it sounds like it works for a lot of people. 

Me too, but I’ve seen the separate account thing work for some. One of my bros won’t spend any money on anything. It was necessary to keep the marriage intact.

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Me too, but I’ve seen the separate account thing work for some. One of my bros won’t spend any money on anything. It was necessary to keep the marriage intact.

OUr bills always get paid. WE never fight about money and I don't ask permission to buy anything. If I want a sled I buy a sled. IF I want a boat I buy a boat.

11 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck. Here's why

The official rate of unemployment in America has plunged to a remarkably low 3.8%. The Federal Reserve forecasts that the unemployment rate will reach 3.5% by the end of the year. 

But the official rate hides more troubling realities: legions of college grads overqualified for their jobs, a growing number of contract workers with no job security, and an army of part-time workers desperate for full-time jobs. Almost 80% of Americans say they live from paycheck to paycheck, many not knowing how big their next one will be. 

Blanketing all of this are stagnant wages and vanishing job benefits. The typical American worker now earns around $44,500 a year, not much more than what the typical worker earned in 40 years ago, adjusted for inflation. Although the US economy continues to grow, most of the gains have been going to a relatively few top executives of large companies, financiers, and inventors and owners of digital devices. 

America doesn’t have a jobs crisis. It has a good jobs crisis. 

When Republicans delivered their $1.5tn tax cut last December they predicted a big wage boost for American workers. Forget it. Wages actually dropped in the second quarter of this year. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/29/us-economy-workers-paycheck-robert-reich 

There are a shocking, probably proportional, number of people with "good jobs" who live paycheck to paycheck too.

37 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

OUr bills always get paid. WE never fight about money and I don't ask permission to buy anything. If I want a sled I buy a sled. IF I want a boat I buy a boat.

Same. I don’t think we live as large as some though.

37 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I tell her what I'm looking to buy and she writes the cheque

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

Yeah,. Trying telling wife.... you don’t work, when she home with kids.  I would take going to work over staying home with baby. Anytime.  :lol:

I’ve yet to see one marriage I’d call a “success” that have separate accounts.  IMO, somebody in that partnership is a financial idiot unable to be trusted with the keys to the checkbook (usually it’s both of them) or, not to be trusted with both financial futures (which will probably be separate) or, the selfishness in the relationship overrides all else.   But, to each their own.  People shack up for different reasons so whatever floats their boat.  I wouldn’t do it.  M wife wouldn’t either.  We’re either in this together, or we’re not. We threw our money together in a big pot before we even married and Inpaid off all her student loans (I drank a lot back then).

That’s my nickel’s worth!  

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

Couldn't agree more. 

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’ve yet to see one marriage I’d call a “success” that have separate accounts.  IMO, somebody in that partnership is a financial idiot unable to be trusted with the keys to the checkbook (usually it’s both of them) or, not to be trusted with both financial futures (which will probably be separate) or, the selfishness in the relationship overrides all else.   But, to each their own.  People shack up for different reasons so whatever floats their boat.  I wouldn’t do it.  M wife wouldn’t either.  We’re either in this together, or we’re not. We threw our money together in a big pot before we even married and Inpaid off all her student loans (I drank a lot back then).

That’s my nickel’s worth!  

I think a lot of people think who ever controls the money has hand.  For me,  my wife is better at it, so it made more sense. I wouldn’t expect her to fix shit around the house half the time. I’m better at it, so I do it.  

We have two separate sets of friends who divorced,  but are still together.  They still do everything as a couple, but keep their financial stuff separated.  One gal even has her own home, she still keeps , but rarely goes there , other than with all of us to spend a weekend.   Seems crazy to me but obviously works for them.

• Platinum Contributing Member
16 hours ago, snoughnut said:

If that being the case, why do so many American companies do business over seas? Especially in China........ because American companies care so much about the American worker? At least they used to. :news:

Still doesn't mean we can produce all we consume.   We should strive to bring back more and more to the US but reality will always be that we can't produce all we consume.

There will always need to be a balance.  Reality is I don't believe immigrants are filling manufacturing plants.  Ag, construction and service industries are where they are most employed.  

I'm not against all immigration but we have the right to know who the hell is coming into our country.   I'm for expanded work visa's where there is proof for the need.  

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Still doesn't mean we can produce all we consume.   We should strive to bring back more and more to the US but reality will always be that we can't produce all we consume.

There will always need to be a balance.  Reality is I don't believe immigrants are filling manufacturing plants.  Ag, construction and service industries are where they are most employed.  

I'm not against all immigration but we have the right to know who the hell is coming into our country.   I'm for expanded work visa's where there is proof for the need.  

We allow 5 fucking million people a year to flow into our country.  And damned right on the bold.  No alien has a "right" to be here.

4 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

38119224_10154929655587824_1797594094281687040_n.png.jpg

How many people did he employ 10 years ago? How about now?

Exactly. 

On 7/30/2018 at 7:33 AM, motonoggin said:

It's a well documented fact that cell phones have caused 40 years of stagnant wages. 

When will people finally wake up?????

who do you see living with less instead of saving for a better tomarrow ? not many looks like 80% 

I know plenty of people pulling over 100k living check to check. 

I know guys I can give a 30k check to and in a month they need a advance on a job .

there is a,reason America is the largest consumer .