Check your account email address ×

Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck. Here's why-

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not being dishonest.   Reality is many people do not know how to spend within their means.  It starts with a breakdown of our public education system and parents.   No teaching of financial restraint and budgeting.    

Not every job is going to get you a 2500 sq foot house, new SUV every year and vacations in Hawaii.   

correct, personal financial management should be a mandatory high school class.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

What?  I missed your point I think.  So, raising people’s wages is part of the sinister plan to give them more money to spend?

Explain other?

Nothing sinister about it. A consumer economy works best when consumers have money to spend.

22 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not being dishonest.   Reality is many people do not know how to spend within their means.  It starts with a breakdown of our public education system and parents.   No teaching of financial restraint and budgeting.    

Not every job is going to get you a 2500 sq foot house, new SUV every year and vacations in Hawaii.   

Yes you are, and you just completely changed the subject and you're now using a strawman. Lol.

A woman my wife works with is 61 yrs old. She says she will never retire as she knows that she goes "recreational shopping " all day every Saturday. Not food shopping , her husband does that. She just shops. Has 3 closets full of close with tags still on them.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

A woman my wife works with is 61 yrs old. She says she will never retire as she knows that she goes "recreational shopping " all day every Saturday. Not food shopping , her husband does that. She just shops. Has 3 closets full of close with tags still on them.

Clearly that alone is reason enough to wreck the economy...

Just now, motonoggin said:

Nothing sinister about it. A consumer economy works best when consumers have money to spend.

Yes you are, and you just completely changed the subject and you're now using a strawman. Lol.

So spending habits have nothing to do with someone being able to save?  :lol:  You live in lala land my friend.  

Just now, Highmark said:

So spending habits have nothing to do with someone being able to save?  :lol:  You live in lala land my friend.  

Of course it has something to do with it.

Stagnant wages have a lot more to do with it than what your cousin's wife spends on shoes.

Of course it has something to do with it.

Stagnant wages have a lot more to do with it than what your cousin's wife spends on shoes.

Depends what's she spending on shoes and smartphones and cars, and vacations and jeans and...........

I won't deny America's economy has historically been propped up by our spending habits but to say we hold zero responsibility is just fucking laughable.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Depends what's she spending on shoes and smartphones and cars, and vacations and jeans and...........

I won't deny America's economy has historically been propped up by our spending habits but to say we hold zero responsibility is just fucking laughable.  

Individuals aren't to blame for a structural problem. Reassignment of blame from the structural issues that keep wages stagnant to some judgement about this one guy you know is disingenuous and delusional. 

But I get it, you don't want to admit that it's a structural problem, because then you'd have to lay responsibility at the feet of those who want it and like it this way.

Individuals aren't to blame for a structural problem. Reassignment of blame from the structural issues that keep wages stagnant to some judgement about this one guy you know is disingenuous and delusional. 

But I get it, you don't want to admit that it's a structural problem, because then you'd have to lay responsibility at the feet of those who want it and like it this way.

Are there unscrupulous employers?   Absolutely.   Are there people who spend too much?   Absolutely.   Would forced wage increases have a negative impact on the economy?   Absolutely.  

There is plenty that can be done to naturally boost compensation even more and it starts with controlling who comes into the country.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Are there unscrupulous employers?   Absolutely.   Are there people who spend too much?   Absolutely.   Would forced wage increases have a negative impact on the economy?   Absolutely.  

There is plenty that can be done to naturally boost compensation even more and it starts with controlling who comes into the country.

I thought we were at near record low levels of unemployment? 

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

What is this budget thing you speak of? Are you saying I can’t spend all the money right now? I don’t like this idea at all. :news: 

We total all our bills,multiply by 12 and divide by 52 as we get paid weekly. That amount goes in an account and what's left over goes in savings. We never worry about money

21 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I thought we were at near record low levels of unemployment? 

We are.   Doesn't mean that having an even stronger job market won't be better yet.

Having massive amounts of cheap labor in the country drives down compensation for everyone.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, motonoggin said:

I know they aren’t meant to but, all of your posts just sound like hyperbole and comedic sarcasm.

”A circulatory system works best if there is a heart.”

I’m good for the day.  Thanx.

36 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We total all our bills,multiply by 12 and divide by 52 as we get paid weekly. That amount goes in an account and what's left over goes in savings. We never worry about money

Great that you are on the same page. I’m a saver and my wife is a spender. For the most part i’m winning that battle but I give in at times to keep the peace.

Morning guys were doing a "how rich people spend their money" segment.

Elton John pays two guys to carry him onto his yacht, so he doesn't get sandy feet. 

Tracy Morgan spent his walmart money building shark tank in his house.

No question, wages have become stagnant, your buying power hasn't kept up with price increases, but,  I bet I could   give 10 families an extra 1000 a month and at the end of the year 9 - 10 would have zero saved.  

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I missed this post.

YUH:  Lefttards:  "Stagnant wages...we need higher minimum wage laws!!!"

Also Leftards:  "We want open borders!!!"

It's hard to imagine this kind of bottom level reasoning and intellect.  I swear, some just think we need to turn up the printing presses and get more trees planted.  

51 minutes ago, Highmark said:

We are.   Doesn't mean that having an even stronger job market won't be better yet.

Having massive amounts of cheap labor in the country drives down compensation for everyone.  

That sounds like a problem with treating labor as a commodity. 

17 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Morning guys were doing a "how rich people spend their money" segment.

Elton John pays two guys to carry him onto his yacht, so he doesn't get sandy feet. 

Tracy Morgan spent his walmart money building shark tank in his house.

No question, wages have become stagnant, your buying power hasn't kept up with price increases, but,  I bet I could   give 10 families an extra 1000 a month and at the end of the year 9 - 10 would have zero saved.  

The positive effects of raising wages would only work if consumers (workers) spend it. This is pretty elementary shit here. 

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

In 88 I bought a new Nissan Pathfinder for about 36K, today similar specs would cost me about 46K.

36K in 88?  Dang!   In 1986 we bought a grand national that was GM exec driven and had 3500 miles on it for 9K.   1999 bought a grand caravan sport for 23K new.   

9 minutes ago, jammin said:

36K in 88?  Dang!   In 1986 we bought a grand national that was GM exec driven and had 3500 miles on it for 9K.   1999 bought a grand caravan sport for 23K new.   

Sorry 97 not 88.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, $poorsledder$ said:

If only we hall had a BIL that would take us under his wing and pay us more than we're worth....

He died 12 years ago for the 20th time.

thanks for making my point regarding personal attacks.

The topic is an important current event but hey just toss a personal attack at me.

Edited by Mainecat

45 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Great that you are on the same page. I’m a saver and my wife is a spender. For the most part i’m winning that battle but I give in at times to keep the peace.

The wife looks after the finances and does a good job at it. The day comes and there's none to spend I'll trade her in lol.