Check your account email address ×

Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck. Here's why-

• Platinum Contributing Member

My wife pays the mortgage . I give her 2/3ds of the money , she kicks the other 3rd. I take care of the rest . She takes care of health ins. My paycheck goes into joint account, my profit checks go into my personal account. 

2 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Individuals aren't to blame for a structural problem. Reassignment of blame from the structural issues that keep wages stagnant to some judgement about this one guy you know is disingenuous and delusional. 

But I get it, you don't want to admit that it's a structural problem, because then you'd have to lay responsibility at the feet of those who want it and like it this way.

Good post.

4 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Sweet now we get to see a bunch of posts about how everyone handles their finances that absolutely no one gives a fuck about...

Read the title of the thread again moto. :dunno: 

MC hammer made 33 million one year, the next year he was broke. Obviously it isn’t just about how much you make...

48 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sorry 97 not 88.

:bc: 

Bought my 1978 z28 in 1984 for 4K with 25K miles-  freaking thing was original and mint.  Sold it for almost 5K 50K miles later.   Miss them days.   :bc: 

13 minutes ago, Edmo said:

MC hammer made 33 million one year, the next year he was broke. Obviously it isn’t just about how much you make...

I remember when I was just starting out, I was pretty broke. Had to sell weed to make ends. :bc: 

10 minutes ago, jammin said:

Bought my 1978 z28 in 1984 for 4K with 25K miles-  freaking thing was original and mint.  Sold it for almost 5K 50K miles later.   Miss them days.   :bc: 

I had a 79 Z28 with a 4 speed. Fun car, lots of tickets.... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jammin said:

Had an 86 Mustang GT, new with the no stereo option, cause you know we would put our own in there.:bc:

Loved it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

I remember when I was just starting out, I was pretty broke. Had to sell weed to make ends. :bc: 

I would never do anything like that. :news:

I gave it up when I got a real job though.

I’m kind of surprised at how many couples keep their finances separate.  My wife takes care of all that shit.  We know couples who keep their own accounts . Split all the bills & mortgage.  

Whatever works fo you I guess. Just seems weird , you owe $65.72 for your share of electric bill. 

3 hours ago, smokin george said:

We total all our bills,multiply by 12 and divide by 52 as we get paid weekly. That amount goes in an account and what's left over goes in savings. We never worry about money

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Great that you are on the same page. I’m a saver and my wife is a spender. For the most part i’m winning that battle but I give in at times to keep the peace.

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

The wife looks after the finances and does a good job at it. The day comes and there's none to spend I'll trade her in lol.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

My wife pays the mortgage . I give her 2/3ds of the money , she kicks the other 3rd. I take care of the rest . She takes care of health ins. My paycheck goes into joint account, my profit checks go into my personal account. 

Like I said

Never pass up an opportunity to talk about yourselves.

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Ha ha. That’s a big fing owned. 

34 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Like I said

Never pass up an opportunity to talk about yourselves.

Just examples of how to overcome your systemic problems and the problem of living check to check. You just don’t want to acknowledge any of it. Hmmmm.

45 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I’m kind of surprised at how many couples keep their finances separate.  My wife takes care of all that shit.  We know couples who keep their own accounts . Split all the bills & mortgage.  

Whatever works fo you I guess. Just seems weird , you owe $65.72 for your share of electric bill. 

wish i could get my wife to pay her half, instead we have separate accounts i pay all the bills plus whatever she racks up on the cards and she spends what she earns.  

9 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

wish i could get my wife to pay her half, instead we have separate accounts i pay all the bills plus whatever she racks up on the cards and she spends what she earns.  

So do we.  I pay most of the bills and she spends a bit of what she earns and writes me a nice check a couple of times a year to invest.

39 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Just examples of how to overcome your systemic problems and the problem of living check to check. You just don’t want to acknowledge any of it. Hmmmm.

Wow. I'm glad you guys are here to dole out these little nuggets of wisdom. 

No one would've ever thought of this stuff if you guys hadn't said something.

Thanks

6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well I wasn't actually expecting someone to raise their hand.:lol:

I'll bite. I have and it sucked, but I was the one that got myself into that mess and I was the one that got out of it. I didn't have to declare bankruptcy, thank god, but I had some significant debt. Cutting back on things you don't absolutely have to have in to live is the key. I didnt have a cell phone, but neither did anyone else. Now its always about priorities, pay cash when you can, use a credit card sparingly and pay it off every month. Dont get me wrong, I've been able to purchase things that make the family happy, but in the end you have to be smart about it. I'd like to think it was a great life lesson.

3 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

I'll bite. I have and it sucked, but I was the one that got myself into that mess and I was the one that got out of it. I didn't have to declare bankruptcy, thank god, but I had some significant debt. Cutting back on things you don't absolutely have to have in to live is the key. I didnt have a cell phone, but neither did anyone else. Now its always about priorities, pay cash when you can, use a credit card sparingly and pay it off every month. Dont get me wrong, I've been able to purchase things that make the family happy, but in the end you have to be smart about it. I'd like to think it was a great life lesson.

No way, you musta had a cell phone and Netflix or you wouldn't have been broke.

• Platinum Contributing Member
49 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I wouldn't do that even if it came with head on demand.