Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

f7 #648

You're a big boy. You may do as you wish. I'm not wagging my finger at you. I'm merely giving you a friendly cyber heads-up. The pic in #648 shows a metal-bristled grill brush. A clean grill is a happy grill *.

Whatever.

BUT !!

Bristle brushes shed bristles. And I've heard horror stories about people ingesting grill food, inadvertently ingesting a grill cleaning brush bristle, and suffering very serious medical consequence.

Not only that. I visited a friend that explained this to me. And then he showed me his solution. He'd clean his grill with a bristle brush, and then carefully inspect the cleaned grill to find and remove every bristle.

NO GOOD!

So I bought him a metal grill cleaner that instead of short bristles has long strands of stainless steel ribbon. Lowe's sell 'em.

They work fine. And they're probably much safer.

Do as you like. This is just a heads up.

But if you get a brass or steel bristle lodged in your intestine, and end up needing surgery to have it removed; and maybe go 4 months on a colostomy bag for a perforated colon, you might wish you'd heeded this warning. Metal bristle grill brushes are a SPECTACULARLY bad idea. Candidly, anything likely to happen to you from using an uncleaned grill would likely be less severe than medical complication from a grill brush bristle stuck somewhere in your digestive tract.

* although I think I let my some of my grills go over a year without cleaning, and no harm resulted. That is NOT what this is about.

10 minutes ago, sear said:

f7 #648

You're a big boy. You may do as you wish. I'm not wagging my finger at you. I'm merely giving you a friendly cyber heads-up. The pic in #648 shows a metal-bristled grill brush. A clean grill is a happy grill *.

Whatever.

BUT !!

Bristle brushes shed bristles. And I've heard horror stories about people ingesting grill food, inadvertently ingesting a grill cleaning brush bristle, and suffering very serious medical consequence.

Not only that. I visited a friend that explained this to me. And then he showed me his solution. He'd clean his grill with a bristle brush, and then carefully inspect the cleaned grill to find and remove every bristle.

NO GOOD!

So I bought him a metal grill cleaner that instead of short bristles has long strands of stainless steel ribbon. Lowe's sell 'em.

They work fine. And they're probably much safer.

Do as you like. This is just a heads up.

But if you get a brass or steel bristle lodged in your intestine, and end up needing surgery to have it removed; and maybe go 4 months on a colostomy bag for a perforated colon, you might wish you'd heeded this warning. Metal bristle grill brushes are a SPECTACULARLY bad idea. Candidly, anything likely to happen to you from using an uncleaned grill would likely be less severe than medical complication from a grill brush bristle stuck somewhere in your digestive tract.

* although I think I let my some of my grills go over a year without cleaning, and no harm resulted. That is NOT what this is about.

The bristle brush is for cleaning inside the grill ...not the grate. There is a stainless grate brush also in the pic and that is for the grate ....thanks though

Edited by f7ben

Excellent.

grill (grîl)

noun
A cooking surface of parallel metal bars; a gridiron.
[French griller, from gril, gridiron, from Old French greille, from Latin crâtìcula, diminutive of crâtis, wickerwork, lattice.]
- grill´er noun

Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition  © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved. 

pondering firing up the big bitch again 1 last time this season any suggestion on what dead meat should be victimized, thinking maybe a prime rib done with some apple wood over long cook time, never done 1 on the big cooker

2 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

pondering firing up the big bitch again 1 last time this season any suggestion on what dead meat should be victimized, thinking maybe a prime rib done with some apple wood over long cook time, never done 1 on the big cooker

Hard to beat a good prime rib :bc:

1 hour ago, dz246 said:

Ribs were good, they shrunk up quite a bit though. Wish I could find some nice thick short ribs. No luck so far though.

Ask a butcher to get you some plate ribs. Usually in cryovac before they're cut into short ribs.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, ckf said:

I've got an 8lb pork butt to smoke on Sunday. The weather doesn't look to good. Should I just say fuck it and throw it in the oven?  :lol:

Capture.JPG

I have had to deal with this, I smoked it for an hour or so just to get some smoke flavor, and then tossed it in the crockpot for 4-5 hours..Came out good..not great, but good..

3 hours ago, ckf said:

I've got an 8lb pork butt to smoke on Sunday. The weather doesn't look to good. Should I just say fuck it and throw it in the oven?  :lol:

Capture.JPG

You were probably going to anyway...... :news:

4 hours ago, ckf said:

Capture.JPG

oh here we go again, move smoker near some cover and be a man damnit a little bad weather is no excuse to RUIN a piece of dead animal in a god damn oven sheeeesh :wall: