Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

9 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Snow never stopped me. We love to burn meat on sled trips. That's 5lb of wings smoked and cooked for about an hour and 15.

image.jpg

What about when it's windy too?

I use charred wood type of charcoal and it burns hotter. Put big chunks in and may use twice as much charcoal. I throw the towel in at -5 and go tho the bar. We don't do slow cooks when it's real cold. The beer gets all slushy.

Edited by Woodtick

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

I use charred wood type of charcoal and it burns hotter. Put big chunks in and may use twice as much charcoal. I throw the towel in at -5 and go tho the bar.

I'm just fucking with ya. A few weeks ago I cooked some ribs in the oven and these guys gave me a bit of a hard time, LOL. I'm using Royal Oak Lump charcoal today :good:

Pork butt is already on the kettle :bc: 

20161023-untitled-6.jpg

8 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I use charred wood type of charcoal and it burns hotter. Put big chunks in and may use twice as much charcoal. I throw the towel in at -5 and go tho the bar. We don't do slow cooks when it's real cold. The beer gets all slushy.

I just move cooker by garage and fire up woodstove in shop, no slushy beer:thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

looks good is that 1 of the ceramic grills?

No....its insulated steel. Works really well and i paid 225$ for it. It will probably only last 5 or so year but for the price you cant beat it

11 hours ago, f7ben said:

Apple juice injection and my special rub the night before !!!!!!!!

I've never tried injecting my butts. I do use an apple cider vinegar based mop on occasion.

13 minutes ago, ckf said:

I've never tried injecting my butts. I do use an apple cider vinegar based mop on occasion.

I think injecting works about as well to keep them from drying out as a mop does ....I dont like to mop because the bark is the best part of the butt IMO and I don't like to open the smoker more than once or twice to temp it

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I think injecting works about as well to keep them from drying out as a mop does ....I dont like to mop because the bark is the best part of the butt IMO and I don't like to open the smoker more than once or twice to temp it

I only mop it 3 or 4 times during the first 5 or 6 hours. still plenty of good bark by the time it comes out.

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

I only mop it 3 or 4 times during the first 5 or 6 hours. still plenty of good bark by the time it comes out.

I did it once and it turned out good but it didnt develop that thick burnt bark the same way

Just now, f7ben said:

I did it once and it turned out good but it didnt develop that thick burnt bark the same way

Now you've got me wanting to do another butt this week. We just finished up the one I did last Sunday a few days ago. Can't seem to get enough of it lately. 

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Now you've got me wanting to do another butt this week. We just finished up the one I did last Sunday a few days ago. Can't seem to get enough of it lately. 

Its my favorite thing to smoke ......Yours above looks delicious. Do you make your own rub?

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Its my favorite thing to smoke ......Yours above looks delicious. Do you make your own rub?

I modify a McCormick rub by adding more cracked pepper and some cayenne pepper. I probably will start making my own soon. What do you do for a rub?

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

I modify a McCormick rub by adding more cracked pepper and some cayenne pepper. I probably will start making my own soon. What do you do for a rub?

Probably made 10 batches of rub modifying it each time before we got it down. I'll post it up here

• Like 1