Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Easy peasy. Tenderquick and vacuum seal. Flip them once a day for 7 days. Smoke to a temp of 145. Done. I usually do brown sugar and cracked pepper rub before smoking.

Make sure you rinse the bellies well after you pull them out of the cure. 

Many people will let the bellies dry in the fridge for 24hta before smoking. This develops the pellicle which is a skin on the belly. I’ve never done that 

That’s a lot more cure time than I thought. I don’t have a vacuum deal. I will just use a zip lock. Ever done maple?

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

That’s a lot more cure time than I thought. I don’t have a vacuum deal. I will just use a zip lock. Ever done maple?

I did some maple on the first batch of bellies we made but it gets spend when you’re doing 150lb batches.

ziplocks will work fine....just follow direction in the tenderquick for amounts. 

7 days is pretty much it for bellies in that 1.5” thick range. I’ve had some that were closer to 2” thick and they could have cured for 8-9 days

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I did some maple on the first batch of bellies we made but it gets spend when you’re doing 150lb batches.

ziplocks will work fine....just follow direction in the tenderquick for amounts. 

7 days is pretty much it for bellies in that 1.5” thick range. I’ve had some that were closer to 2” thick and they could have cured for 8-9 days

I can get maple syrup reasonable and only plan on doing 5 lbs. I can see it making a mess of the smoker though.

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I can get maple syrup reasonable and only plan on doing 5 lbs. I can see it making a mess of the smoker though.

It’s an electric , just throw it away when you’re done and get a real one!!!!!

:bigfinger:

:lol:

Just now, f7ben said:

It’s an electric , just throw it away when you’re done and get a real one!!!!!

:bigfinger:

:lol:

Come to think of it,it has a big removable tray on the bottom to catch it all. Very impressive smoker. They thought of everything. I’ve been telling friends about your reach in smoker.  They actually thought you were smart???

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Come to think of it,it has a big removable tray on the bottom to catch it all. Very impressive smoker. They thought of everything. I’ve been telling friends about your reach in smoker.  They actually thought you were smart???

I’ve been working away on the upright smoker all week. Gonna do 50lbs of snack sticks this week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’ve been working away on the upright smoker all week. Gonna do 50lbs of snack sticks this week.

I’m getting neighbors wanting me to make them stuff. I’m really glad I have a small smoker. I only do it for my one  neighbor that does things for me.

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I’m getting neighbors wanting me to make them stuff. I’m really glad I have a small smoker. I only do it for my one  neighbor that does things for me.

I don’t mind....it’s fun stuff for me and my dad to do while we drink beers

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I don’t mind....it’s fun stuff for me and my dad to do while we drink beers

Yep,that’s what my neighbor and I did yesterday. :bc: We have two awesome bbq joints near us. They can take their asses there.

Edited by Woodtick

1 minute ago, Seatofmypants said:

My cooker is just sitting idle.  We don't have a catering gig until the middle or end of May.  Lets hope things start to free up soon and it doesn't kill my whole year.

People will be itching for BBQs and outdoor events once the weather warms up. 

Sales of BBQ supplies could be offset some by more cooking at home for people with less disposable income.  $100 for a BBQ can go a long ways.

• Like 1

• Advertising Member
9 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

People will be itching for BBQs and outdoor events once the weather warms up. 

Sales of BBQ supplies could be offset some by more cooking at home for people with less disposable income.  $100 for a BBQ can go a long ways.

I've honestly seen a nice little bump in our sales.  The thing that was hard for me was if we wanted to gamble 20k on our line or rubs and spices.  We did, and that product line should be ready by mid April.  The question will be do we release while people are locked down and cooking or hold all of our product back until things free up.......  Really kinda risky the amount of money I have invested in my side business.....it really scares the wife sometimes.  That isn't including the catering arm of our company.

Utz544.JPG

• Like 2

• Advertising Member
3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That thing looks awesome dude

You need one........I'm telling you.  Mine was a 2013 needed a door gasket, good cleaning, and a little tig welding where the pellets feed in.  I really want a bigger one but it will work for now.  I had two turkey tits and three picnics (they were supposed to be butts) in it Saturday for a family who lost two barns due to arson.  Could have probably fit 3 or 4 more butts in it.

Edited by Seatofmypants

You need one........I'm telling you.  Mine was a 2013 needed a door gasket, good cleaning, and a little tig welding where the pellets feed in.  I really want a bigger one but it will work for now.  I had two turkey tits and three picnics (they were supposed to be butts) in it Saturday for a family who lost two barns due to arson.  Could have probably fit 3 or 4 more butts in it.

Our upright that we are finishing up will fill that void for us. It’s propane fired but it makes some awesome food. Interior is 66” high and it’s 47x30 inside. Stainless in and out and the rack system is sweet. 

• Like 1

• Advertising Member
Just now, f7ben said:

Our upright that we are finishing up will fill that void for us. It’s propane fired but it makes some awesome food. Interior is 66” high and it’s 47x30 inside. Stainless in and out and the rack system is sweet. 

Insulated or nah?  Pics?  Also there are some pretty neat fans you could use to control heat if you went back to charcoal or stick.  I'm playing with the new bellows system from thermoworks.  You pair that with a signals system and you have complete temp control.  Pretty neat if you haven't looked them up yet.

• Advertising Member
Just now, Momorider said:

Your Jam is the best, everyone that had tried any of it think they are great all unique in their own way :bc:

Glad you guys liked it!!!  Our new rubs are made to work with that line of BBQ and should do really well.  Which one is your fav?  Or which one did you like the least?

4 minutes ago, Seatofmypants said:

Insulated or nah?  Pics?  Also there are some pretty neat fans you could use to control heat if you went back to charcoal or stick.  I'm playing with the new bellows system from thermoworks.  You pair that with a signals system and you have complete temp control.  Pretty neat if you haven't looked them up yet.

Yes full 2” insulated box. I’ll post pics when we are done. I cooked 15 racks of ribs last fall in it and with just a few tweaks it hit 225f and stayed there for 4 hours. I’d consider setting up a temp control setup but it really doesn’t take much input to get it set.

Glad you guys liked it!!!  Our new rubs are made to work with that line of BBQ and should do really well.  Which one is your fav?  Or which one did you like the least?

Least probably HoneyQ mostly cuz it has competition, Best probably Shore Thing so unique so good and I haven't tried it with seafood either :bbq:

• Like 2