Check your account email address ×

Tipping culture home too far?

i believe ny state now has a law that you have to have both prices on the price tag. kind of like gas stations with a cash or credit price. they have both on there. 

The Credit Card Surcharge Law impacts sellers in three key ways:

• Requires that sellers clearly and conspicuously post the total price for using a credit card in a transaction, including the surcharge.
  • Prohibits sellers from charging a final price (including the credit card surcharge) that is greater than the posted price.
  • Prohibits sellers from imposing a surcharge on a consumer using a credit card that is greater than the amount charged by the credit card company to the seller for such card use.

Failure to comply with these new requirements could result in a significant civil penalty. The law provides that each violation (meaning each transaction that occurs that is non-compliant with any aspect of this law) will result in a civil penalty of up to $500.

2 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

i believe ny state now has a law that you have to have both prices on the price tag. kind of like gas stations with a cash or credit price. they have both on there. 

The Credit Card Surcharge Law impacts sellers in three key ways:

• Requires that sellers clearly and conspicuously post the total price for using a credit card in a transaction, including the surcharge.
  • Prohibits sellers from charging a final price (including the credit card surcharge) that is greater than the posted price.
  • Prohibits sellers from imposing a surcharge on a consumer using a credit card that is greater than the amount charged by the credit card company to the seller for such card use.

Failure to comply with these new requirements could result in a significant civil penalty. The law provides that each violation (meaning each transaction that occurs that is non-compliant with any aspect of this law) will result in a civil penalty of up to $500.

Lol

Like posting %3 surcharge on credit card payments isn’t enough.

is NY state as fucked up as the orange devil says it is?

Edited by Voodoo

1 hour ago, Voodoo said:

Lol

Like posting %3 surcharge on credit card payments isn’t enough.

is NY state as fucked up as the orange devil says it is?

well i'm upstate in the mountains . we live good here and it's beautiful . taxes and laws can be brutal. 

So we’ve been pushed to not carry cash and now want us to pay 3% charge to use my debit!!

like stated give 3% discount for cash not charge for it if I use card!!

unfortunately for those restaurants that charge me 3% I take that off my tip percentage!!

• Like 1

Watch the 1st 4 minutes, there's and ad after that and watch the last few minutes. Some places automatically add X % to your bill... Well what if the food or service sucked? Why should I be asked if I want you leave you a tip if I poured my own coffee or got my own bottle of water or any other self-service items? What did you do to deserve a tip besides operate the register??? Sorry some of this "Tipping" is out of control.... Jmo.... My money and I'll be the judge wether you deserve a tip and how much of a tip you get. Some places the staff have to share Their tips with the rest of the staff, not fair if one person does a very good job and another person sucks at service.

• Like 2

All tips, taxes and surcharges should be added onto the line item and menu.  It's absurd.  People who truly do service above and beyond perhaps you leave something but let's raise their wages and the prices so that it isn't 20% but a token of thanks.  Expected tips are no longer really tips.  Our culture has this all fucked up.

It's so refreshing to travel in Germany where 2 beers at 3 euro each bills out at 6 euro.  No tip expected.  How it should be.

• Platinum Contributing Member
22 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Minimum wage for a waitress in Wisconsin is $2.33/hr. The employer has to match their wage if tips total less than $7something/hr. 

That portion of the service industry lives off of tips and should be tipped according to the service they provided. Someone that’s just ringing up ann order and handing me a bag….do they really deserve a tip? During Covid sure but now….meh. Even though I still do it :bashhead:

Self serve kiosks asking for tips :lol:

46 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

That portion of the service industry lives off of tips and should be tipped according to the service they provided. Someone that’s just ringing up ann order and handing me a bag….do they really deserve a tip? During Covid sure but now….meh. Even though I still do it :bashhead:

Self serve kiosks asking for tips :lol:

I agree For those who live off of Their tips but some places all the tips go in one pot and then they are divided equally between the staff.... Some people do not deserve the same tips as the others, they only deserve the tip they were given for the services they provided...

Then you have an Asshole like this one........

• Like 1

My wife bought a piano in January and had it delivered to the house. The morning they showed up, the driveway had frozen to a sheet of ice. I was just salting it when they drove in. 2 guys, likely in their 40's or so. They carted the piano across an icey driveway and into the living room. Set it all up. Very Polite and cautious with the floors and furniture. They walk out the door and wife is saying "Thank you so much."

I say to her, "What did you tip them?"

She says "Oh fuck, I didn't even think about it."

So me, "Here's a $50. You chase them out the driveway."

Being in service myself. I'm very appreciative of those who do it well.

I think the minimum wage for a server in Ontario is around $12.

The general minimum wage is now $16.55

• Like 2

I have a few regular places I go, because I ‘know’ the servers schedules, and make a point to only be there when the ones I like are working.  They see me coming as I walk through the door and a beer is on my table as I sit down.  

THAT is good service, and will get a tip from me every time.  

The other servers in these same joints, I’ll turn around and walk out, no fucks given.

• Like 5

If you accept a way below minimum wage job that serves the public and relies on tips to compensate for your stupidity you’re a dumb ass. 

regarding the 3% CC charge it does nor pertain to debit cards here just CC

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If you accept a way below minimum wage job that serves the public and relies on tips to compensate for your stupidity you’re a dumb ass. 

regarding the 3% CC charge it does nor pertain to debit cards here just CC

So the high school or even college aged kids who don't hold careers yet ... they're now dumb asses.  You truly are an elitist cocksucker, aren't you??

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bontz said:

So the high school or even college aged kids who don't hold careers yet ... they're now dumb asses.  You truly are an elitist cocksucker, aren't you??

This thread isn't about "cow tipping" so move along and quit humping MC's leg :lmao:

4 minutes ago, HSR said:

This thread isn't about "cow tipping" so move along and quit humping MC's leg :lmao:

Oh, I'm sure your radar alarmed the moment the high school and college aged kids comment was referenced.  Now, go leg hump someone else :news:

1 hour ago, X2700 said:

Last couple years service from most really sucks!!

im not tipping fast food joints or takeout!!

Every Wednesday a group of us get together and rotate around to a locally owner establishment each week.  It can be a group of 4 or as many as 16.  We've tried a couple places where the service and attitudes were poor and we haven't been back.  Some of the favorites we go to we don't even need to order a drink they start making it when we walk in.  They are tipped well.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I tip very generously but honestly I wish they would just put the cost in and pay staff a standard wage.   If its too expensive for the food they serve I'll just go somewhere else.   Tipping has gotten out of hand.  I've even seen it a few times for online merch purchases for the "packaging" people.   FFS enough already. 

When I do use a card I usually tip with cash.   I put TIT in the tip line on the receipt.  Taxation is Theft. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, X2700 said:

So we’ve been pushed to not carry cash and now want us to pay 3% charge to use my debit!!

like stated give 3% discount for cash not charge for it if I use card!!

unfortunately for those restaurants that charge me 3% I take that off my tip percentage!!

My parents took us out for an anniversary dinner yesterday.  Place had a 3%+ automatic service charge that was not a tip for the staff.  I'm not a big fan of the government stepping in but I think they need to put some rules in place to make pricing more clear to the customer.  New York seems to have done something right.

Usually I carry a few hundred in cash for restaurants as many are charging 3% plus for cards or don't take them at all.  Think you will see more places trail side that don't take cards at all.  Then the servers get their tips in cash too.

Credit card fees: new rules in New York will help buyers control this  process

4 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

My parents took us out for an anniversary dinner yesterday. 

Reminds me of the other automatic gratuity that ... although it makes some sense, it irritates me.  Parties of more than N people (let's just say 8+) will automatically be charged a 15-20% gratuity.  Well, if that's the case, the service better be good.  And, it should be VERBALLY COMMUNICATED to whoever receives the final bill vs. having to look for it.  Because they still leave a tip line on the receipt and people can get duped into leaving even more when it's already been included.

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Today those jobs are for suckers…..actually they always were. Handing angry ass fucks their food is literally slave labor. 

I am what I am and those that label me are just jealous…..you know like you asswipe.

58 minutes ago, HSR said:

He’s a follower here just like his life. Probably rides in the middle of the pack and won’t ride if he has to lead.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

He’s a follower here just like his life. Probably rides in the middle of the pack and won’t ride if he has to lead.

He sure seems to like chasing you around!!!!!!! Or as he calls it, leg humping. Do you have fine white hairy legs that twinkle in the sunlight???:lol: