Check your account email address ×

new cat big bore ...

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

So the blue one isn't a Cat?

...green as in goggle green.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised you would need English translated into English.

How does anything green apply to my blue snowmobile.  Please clarify to continue showcasing your low intelligence 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mnstang said:

Just recently I found out cat is the only one with laydown engine.  Lol are you kidding me?  Other companies still have intake and exhaust on different sides of the motor?  Cats been doing this since what 2002????   Hahaha WTF talk about old archaic relics.  Spreading the weight around, very uncentralized and top heavy piles, low tech.  

But hey, at least you have the b̶e̶s̶t̶... #2 gauge.

Say it with me because I know you love to, "WE'RE NUMBER TWO!  WE'RE NUMBER TWO!"

weird thing is that seadoo had lay down engines in the 90's (787 and 951)  The 787 was available sdi (injector in the boost port like AC and Poo) 951 was available with carbs and, orbital di (opti-max) I don't remember if they had sdi as an option or not

both poo and ac had versions of omc's direct injection in their watercraft as well.  that ended when brp bough out omc, after forcing them into bankruptcy

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Ficht

yup, the name etec exists because ficht had/has such a terrible reputation.

BRP hired one of the guys who is responsible for running AC into the ground, and put them in charge of Evinrude.

Tracy Crocker

Edited by krom

29 minutes ago, krom said:

weird thing is that seadoo had lay down engines in the 90's (787 and 951)  The 787 was available sdi (injector in the boost port like AC and Poo) 951 was available with carbs and, orbital di (opti-max) I don't remember if they had sdi as an option or not

both poo and ac had versions of omc's direct injection in their watercraft as well.  that ended when brp bough out omc, after forcing them into bankruptcy

That's interesting. I didn't realize these engines were configured that way. Given the fact that they're mounted in parallel to the ski due to direct drive, and the engine already directly beneath the rider, you wouldn't think there's a positional advantage like there is in a sled.

56 minutes ago, krom said:

yup, the name etec exists because ficht had/has such a terrible reputation.

BRP hired one of the guys who is responsible for running AC into the ground, and put them in charge of Evinrude.

Tracy Crocker

I ran a few ficht along with all the others and had one  pop mid to late 90's.. The last year I believe 2000 or 2001 of OMC produced was a pretty good year for the 225 Hp outboard.. I ran a few hundred hours on one and it was solid.. Changing plugs was a pain.. Indexed into a 60 degree window/injector.. Guy need a case of plugs and just kept trying different ones until the aligned correct with the injectors> if you didn't do this they ran like shit.. Overall not a huge fan of the system, changed and refined since 1995 or 96 when they first came out.. German tech that was actually pretty cutting edge at the time..   

Edited by jonlafon1

41 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

I ran a few ficht along with all the others and had one  pop mid to late 90's.. The last year I believe 2000 or 2001 of OMC produced was a pretty good year for the 225 Hp outboard.. I ran a few hundred hours on one and it was solid.. Changing plugs was a pain.. Indexed into a 60 degree window/injector.. Guy need a case of plugs and just kept trying different ones until the aligned correct with the injectors> if you didn't do this they ran like shit.. Overall not a huge fan of the system, changed and refined since 1995 or 96 when they first came out.. German tech that was actually pretty cutting edge at the time..   

Had a 2001 225 Johnson, not ficht, clipped to a 20 ' Avenger. The thing was bullet proof. Lot's of ripping around, skiing, tubing, etc. A great motor for us

Edited by Tripleflipper

1 hour ago, Premium said:

That's interesting. I didn't realize these engines were configured that way. Given the fact that they're mounted in parallel to the ski due to direct drive, and the engine already directly beneath the rider, you wouldn't think there's a positional advantage like there is in a sled.

IMHO it was done for packaging.  It needed to fit between the riders legs, the crankshaft has to be on the center line of the machine, and the pipe (expansion chamber) is cast and water jacketed, so pretty large. 

The first couple years had issues ingesting water and grenading, instead of re-designing the pipe to y pipe joint to prevent leaking, and the airbox, they added a rubber piece zip tied around the joint to catch the leaks, and rubber flaps to divert them away from the airbox..  

001-610120478.jpg.99f5e390397ab7612de18040a6a5e1a1.jpg

maxresdefault-2901748417.thumb.jpg.3726ba23b75c8537b6f9d698fe49f1f9.jpg

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Ficht almost did Polaris in.  The Fusion had them until they got yanked from being able to be purchased.  Other nonsense engineering went into that as well, but that set back was huge.

you mean the fusion could have gone worse than it did??!!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Tripleflipper said:

Had a 2001 225 Johnson, not ficht, clipped to a 20 ' Avenger. The thing was bullet proof. Lot's of ripping around, skiing, tubing, etc. A great motor for us

Johnsons were always SOLID.. The 150 Johnny was a good one also.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 1:00 AM, mnstang said:

Why are guys so insecure about what a guy does for work?

Last I checked Jimbo has a new sled on order.  If I could hold signs all day and have new sleds, new ATVs, live comfortably, that's what I call winning.

How many guys attacking him have the coolest sled ever on order right now?  Jealousy?

I could be wrong, but I doubt that there are many on this site that have purchased more new Cat's than I have. Maybe a few, but dunno..... Cat squandered their most loyal customers, for a multitude of reasons. Then @mnstang thinks we should all be blind to a legacy of Cat failure (that almost drove them in to the ground), and just blindly drink the green Kool-aid of the latest Me Too sled. 

As I have said many times,  I ALWAYS bought Cat's latest and greatest tech- and regretted it many times. I feel like a battered spouse. There are only so many times that a manufacturer can literally screw you before you move on to greener pastures. 

The best Cat's I ever owned were NEVER first year Cats. First year Cats are generally shit. And I took a bath on several of them. I will not even consider Cat until you Guinea pigs work out the bugs for a year or two. THEN, I'll evaluate what they have to offer, and see if it best meets my needs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ziemann said:

I could be wrong, but I doubt that there are many on this site that have purchased more new Cat's than I have. Maybe a few, but dunno..... Cat squandered their most loyal customers, for a multitude of reasons. Then @mnstang thinks we should all be blind to a legacy of Cat failure (that almost drove them in to the ground), and just blindly drink the green Kool-aid of the latest Me Too sled. 

As I have said many times,  I ALWAYS bought Cat's latest and greatest tech- and regretted it many times. I feel like a battered spouse. There are only so many times that a manufacturer can literally screw you before you move on to greener pastures. 

The best Cat's I ever owned were NEVER first year Cats. First year Cats are generally shit. And I took a bath on several of them. I will not even consider Cat until you Guinea pigs work out the bugs for a year or two. THEN, I'll evaluate what they have to offer, and see if it best meets my needs. 

All first year sleds for the most part are shit. I have had good luck with Cats though. I'll be honest. There is no other brand. My dealer! Fuck Polaris! Fuck Doo! I will Chronicle my Catalyst though. Just not on this particular forum.

1 minute ago, Ziemann said:

You live in fantasy land where you're now just saying words that sound good but it doesn't actually add up.

If you were "the most loyal customer", you would be on a cat.  Do you understand what the word loyal means?  The fact that there are people that never left cat, means they are obviously more loyal than you.  This is not debatable so just stop your bullshit.  Now you can debate a million reasons why you switched, and that's fine and I don't care about reasons an old man that doesn't understand English has for purchasing power sports.  But just stop lying about your self proclaimed loyalty, it makes anyone stop reading your response because it exposes you for being an idiot at that very moment.  I did not even read past that what's the point.

Ok I just read hater squad #1 dip shit post because zr6000 quoted him.  All first year cats are shit?  Haha ok?  I'll give you the procross, ok.  First year prowler?  First year zr?  First year thundercat?  First years z/zr snopro?  First year firecat?  First year M/crossfire?  First year twin spar?  First year four strokes and turbos?  First year snopro race/500's?  First year ascender/alpha?  So one means all?  What a dumb ass seriously.

Historically cat has first year sleds that perform right away with no major issues, way more than anyone else.  Just more proof he has no clue what he talks about 

Yes, first year cats are so fucking amazing that riders cannot wait to buy them.  The history is so stellar that they should have like 90% of all sled sales by now.  Everyone I know has been burned by cat at some point or has finally said fuck it, I'm tired of waiting for them to get back in the game. 

This latest effort is fucking way long overdue and hopefully they get it right.  At some point textron is going to pull the plug if sales do not come around which is not really good for anyone in the sport.  After more than two decades they either get back to leading again with great product (and dealer network) or they figure out a way to clone a couple hundred thousand dumbstads who buy anything with a cat sticker on it. 

5 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Yes, first year cats are so fucking amazing that riders cannot wait to buy them.  The history is so stellar that they should have like 90% of all sled sales by now.  Everyone I know has been burned by cat at some point or has finally said fuck it, I'm tired of waiting for them to get back in the game. 

This latest effort is fucking way long overdue and hopefully they get it right.  At some point textron is going to pull the plug if sales do not come around which is not really good for anyone in the sport.  After more than two decades they either get back to leading again with great product (and dealer network) or they figure out a way to clone a couple hundred thousand dumbstads who buy anything with a cat sticker on it. 

Paid for by Polaris and the endless stop rides they are oh so famous for.

57 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Ok I just read hater squad #1 dip shit post because zr6000 quoted him.  All first year cats are shit?  Haha ok?  I'll give you the procross, ok.  First year prowler?  First year zr?  First year thundercat?  First years z/zr snopro?  First year firecat?  First year M/crossfire?  First year twin spar?  First year four strokes and turbos?  First year snopro race/500's?  First year ascender/alpha?  So one means all?  What a dumb ass seriously.

Historically cat has first year sleds that perform right away with no major issues, way more than anyone else.  Just more proof he has no clue what he talks about 

Cat didn't get to where they are at now because of their stellar releases. And to be in denial of that only undermines your credibility. No one reads that post and takes you seriously- except Jim. 

Shit- you don't even remember the '10 SnoPro 500's that would load up and foul? '07 Twin Spar handling woes, adjustable seat and handlebar issues? '98 ZR600's grenading? OMG- seriously stop before you lose all credibility. 

6 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

Cat didn't get to where they are at now because of their stellar releases. And to be in denial of that only undermines your credibility. No one reads that post and takes you seriously- except Jim. 

Shit- you don't even remember the '10 SnoPro 500's that would load up and foul? '07 Twin Spar handling woes, adjustable seat and handlebar issues? '98 ZR600's grenading? OMG- seriously stop before you lose all credibility. 

I had a 98 500. It locked up at 700 or so miles. Got it back, less than a week later. Still running. Credibility is in you, worshiper of internet jESUS.

14 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

I had a 98 500. It locked up at 700 or so miles. Got it back, less than a week later. Still running. Credibility is in you, worshiper of internet jESUS.

Seizing at 700 miles is something only you would try to swing into a positive.

You are stupid as fuck!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1