Check your account email address ×

States looking at charging by the mile instead of gas tax

• Gold Member

As vehicles get more efficient and gas tax not indexed to inflation many states are coming up short on gas tax revenue.  Some good ideas in this Fox article but ultimately they really need to increase the gas taxes to make up short falls.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/states-weigh-charging-by-the-mile-as-fuel-taxes-plummet.amp

9 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

As vehicles get more efficient and gas tax not indexed to inflation many states are coming up short on gas tax revenue.  Some good ideas in this Fox article but ultimately they really need to increase the gas taxes to make up short falls.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/states-weigh-charging-by-the-mile-as-fuel-taxes-plummet.amp

But let's face it.  It won't be charged by the mile INSTEAD of gas tax.  It'll be IN ADDITION TO...  fuckers...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Let's get one fact crystal clear here... current model vehicles are NOT more fuel efficient now, and get roughly the same or WORSE mpg now than they did 10, 20 or 30 years ago.  Fuck, my Grandparents last Buick Park Ave with a 3.8L would regularly get 36mpg on the highway at 65mph.  What cars and trucks make now is far more horsepower... and they're heavier and safer.  Heavier doesn't help the roads, like heavy EVs are worse for roads... But not as bad as road salt, so shitty drivers who refuse to purchase winter tires can drive 80mph down a wet road in January when it's -10F.  And then there's the squirrels and birds... 

:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member

Michigan has been looking at this to get the lost revenue from EV's but will likely just add it to the existing gas tax. I wonder if then the roads will get fixed

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Let's get one fact crystal clear here... current model vehicles are NOT more fuel efficient now, and get roughly the same or WORSE mpg now than they did 10, 20 or 30 years ago.  Fuck, my Grandparents last Buick Park Ave with a 3.8L would regularly get 36mpg on the highway at 65mph.  What cars and trucks make now is far more horsepower... and they're heavier and safer.  Heavier doesn't help the roads, like heavy EVs are worse for roads... But not as bad as road salt, so shitty drivers who refuse to purchase winter tires can drive 80mph down a wet road in January when it's -10F.  And then there's the squirrels and birds... 

:lol:

I had an 1989 f150 4x4.  At 75 mph it was 10-12 mpg.  Prior to that had a 76 f150…. 8 mpg at most.  A modern f150 in the same condition are high teens if not more in same conditions while being heavier.  Gas tax has been the same during my life that I can recall and little changed.  They need to raise the gas tax and index it for inflation.

• Gold Member
25 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Michigan has been looking at this to get the lost revenue from EV's but will likely just add it to the existing gas tax. I wonder if then the roads will get fixed

Looks like the Republican governor bent you guys over and you get raises in gas tax every year from 2022 and on.  Good move to keep the roads funded really.

The increase will move the state gas tax from 27.2 cents per gallon to 28.6 cents per gallon, according to a notice from the Michigan Treasury on Thursday, Dec. 1.

A law from the Gov. Rick Snyder era requires the gas tax to increase each year. Starting in 2022, the formula calls for an increase of either 5% or the inflation rate – whichever is lower. Because inflation has hovered around 8% in the past year, the gas tax will only go up by the maximum 5% in 2023.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/12/michigans-gas-tax-will-increase-in-2023.html?outputType=amp

24 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Looks like the Republican governor bent you guys over and you get raises in gas tax every year from 2022 and on.  Good move to keep the roads funded really.

The increase will move the state gas tax from 27.2 cents per gallon to 28.6 cents per gallon, according to a notice from the Michigan Treasury on Thursday, Dec. 1.

A law from the Gov. Rick Snyder era requires the gas tax to increase each year. Starting in 2022, the formula calls for an increase of either 5% or the inflation rate – whichever is lower. Because inflation has hovered around 8% in the past year, the gas tax will only go up by the maximum 5% in 2023.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/12/michigans-gas-tax-will-increase-in-2023.html?outputType=amp

Now add in Whitmers bullshit and we’ll be paying even more with the same fucked up roads. Good thing EV’s are lighter for less wear and tear on them

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Now add in Whitmers bullshit and we’ll be paying even more with the same fucked up roads. Good thing EV’s are lighter for less wear and tear on them

If a few EV’s that are around are tearing up the roads now I would hate to see what all the semi’s and HD pickups do to the same roads.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

I had an 1989 f150 4x4.  At 75 mph it was 10-12 mpg.  Prior to that had a 76 f150…. 8 mpg at most.  A modern f150 in the same condition are high teens if not more in same conditions while being heavier.  Gas tax has been the same during my life that I can recall and little changed.  They need to raise the gas tax and index it for inflation.

I can give you a bunch of data, information and prove modern gasoline powered cars and trucks are no more efficient with modern technology and multi speed transmissions... but I'd rather just say EV's should not get federal tax credits and should be charged much more significant road registration and usage fee's.  

So there we are...

• Gold Member
29 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I can give you a bunch of data, information and prove modern gasoline powered cars and trucks are no more efficient with modern technology and multi speed transmissions... but I'd rather just say EV's should not get federal tax credits and should be charged much more significant road registration and usage fee's.  

So there we are...

So a 80’s 90’s 305 or 350 1/2 ton gets as good of mileage as a modern 5.3 or 3.0 duramax 1/2 ton in your opinion?

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

So a 80’s 90’s 305 or 350 1/2 ton gets as good of mileage as a modern 5.3 or 3.0 duramax 1/2 ton in your opinion?

My old 96 f150 302 and my old 07 f150 5.4 got about the same 14/15mpg. Same with the mustangs I’ve had all basically same mileage. A fox mustang gets the same mpg as a brand new 5.0 mustang little to no improvement at all in 30years.

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

My old 96 f150 302 and my old 07 f150 5.4 got about the same 14/15mpg. Same with the mustangs I’ve had all basically same mileage. A fox mustang gets the same mpg as a brand new 5.0 mustang little to no improvement at all in 30years.

Pretty substantial difference between 30 year old pickups and modern pickups

IMG_2954.thumb.png.1bc6210ae633f014cd08693b101f3991.png

IMG_2953.thumb.png.fb7cc16a2cc888d16153985a4ff2b4dd.png

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Pretty substantial difference between 30 year old pickups and modern pickups

IMG_2954.thumb.png.1bc6210ae633f014cd08693b101f3991.png

IMG_2953.thumb.png.fb7cc16a2cc888d16153985a4ff2b4dd.png

4/5mpg is decent but hardly a big difference in mpg over 30yrs in advancements but they are slightly better it seems in trucks. Mustangs for example 93-23 is only a 1mpg difference in average mpg rating from the factory. They really haven’t advanced these huge numbers people like to think.

IMG_3243.thumb.png.a68fb2f08826eeb07f1d8e4bec6642ae.pngIMG_3244.thumb.png.d319d33c6607e44070b3f129b7f483c8.pngIMG_3247.thumb.png.6d8fa5af6bb996c8da4d40e9fa1abbf3.pngIMG_3248.thumb.png.778ab194a960ff4021678c718a767c68.png

• Gold Member

4-5 mpg in pickups while getting heavier and way more powerful is substantial….  A lot less gas tax coming in due to not being index for inflation and improvement in economy.

5 hours ago, BOHICA said:

I got the bill for my fill up last week.

The gas and delivery was $1150

With all the taxes, each is itemized, it was $1648.

This should be how it looks at a gas station, might wake people up as to how much is tax.

10 hours ago, BOHICA said:

4-5 mpg in pickups while getting heavier and way more powerful is substantial….  A lot less gas tax coming in due to not being index for inflation and improvement in economy.

What about the increasing number of EV’S that you constantly post about....they should be charged by the mile @ average gas mileage. 

6 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

What about the increasing number of EV’S that you constantly post about....they should be charged by the mile @ average gas mileage. 

When they gave me that electric loaner last week, guy said just bring it back as is chargewise, didn't have to refill the gas like a normal loaner/rental.  That was nice.

10 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

When they gave me that electric loaner last week, guy said just bring it back as is chargewise, didn't have to refill the gas like a normal loaner/rental.  That was nice.

I just prepay for the tank.

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

What kind of car did you get?

And what was your impression of it?

Ive been in a few teslas and thought they were cool. Just not ready to give up the gas yet for longer trips. Bring up the range numbers so I can at least make it to the cabin in winter, and bring down the charge times and I’m interested. The current tech doesn’t interest me.

2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

One minute he's commenting how there's only a few of them on the road while any other time he's jerking off to sales numbers etc   SMH

• Like 2