Check your account email address ×

2023 Formula 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

So the Las Vegas race is this coming Saturday with a 10:00 PM start Pacific Time…eesshh. Need to keep the Euro Fans happy I guess.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So the Las Vegas race is this coming Saturday with a 10:00 PM start Pacific Time…eesshh. Need to keep the Euro Fans happy I guess.

it's Vegas... nothing exciting happens in Vegas during broad daylight.  ;)

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

it's Vegas... nothing exciting happens in Vegas during broad daylight.  ;)

I also was just reading an article that the heads of F1 didn’t realize Vegas just might be a tad chilly in November.🤣

6 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Ferrari hit a manhole cove and basically destroyed their car in fp2.

Ferrari boss is pissed!

Manhole?

assuming gender?

Just kidding, seen a clip.

49 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Racing that on our shitty maintained city streets is not the smartest idea. 

It's more of a welding issue looking at this pic.  Yes the pavement broke out but what caused that is the top of the risers broke.  A manhole and riser have a very high carbon content so when welding you need to pre-heat it so it cools slower and use the correct filler rod (Ni-rod).  If it cools to fast it will form cracks at the toe of the welds.

Screenshot_20231117_205936_Chrome.jpg

35 minutes ago, Doug said:

It's more of a welding issue looking at this pic.  Yes the pavement broke out but what caused that is the top of the risers broke.  A manhole and riser have a very high carbon content so when welding you need to pre-heat it so it cools slower and use the correct filler rod (Ni-rod).  If it cools to fast it will form cracks at the toe of the welds.

Screenshot_20231117_205936_Chrome.jpg

So now what?

Just now, Steve753 said:

I was just there. What a shit show it was.

I couldn't even fathom the task of setting up an F1 race on a street course in Las Vegas for the first time evvahhh...

That idiot shot "It's" self in the foot 

• Sad 1

Just now, Rigid1 said:

I couldn't even fathom the task of setting up an F1 race on a street course in Las Vegas for the first time evvahhh...

That idiot shot "It's" self in the foot 

I forgot the dam race was even going on there, but I had already paid for the place to store my RV for few months so I said fuck it. :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

So now what?

Don't know.  Listened earlier on a news report that said the concrete broke and showed the picture.

I've had to do failure analysis and create reports on welds that have failed. Judging from that pic and seeing the riser section broke out looks like a weld issue.  They could or may have done Mag partial testing on the others to look for cracks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was really close to pulling the trigger on going to the race this weekend.  Figured the first year was going to be a disaster.  Have to see how the track actually races tonight.  Austin is probably the race to go to so maybe I'll do that one next year instead.

13 hours ago, Shifty said:

F1 is ghey 

But still not as gay as the football team that resides in Vegas :pc:

33 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

I was really close to pulling the trigger on going to the race this weekend.  Figured the first year was going to be a disaster.  Have to see how the track actually races tonight.  Austin is probably the race to go to so maybe I'll do that one next year instead.

I was just reading an article this morning about the crazy ticket prices for Vegas. Add on the 700 percent higher hotel rates and it has priced a lot of fans out.

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

I was just reading an article this morning about the crazy ticket prices for Vegas. Add on the 700 percent higher hotel rates and it has priced a lot of fans out.

I'd rather watch in TV, and about 15 minutes of it.  Just doesn't keep my interest.  Vegas is a place (imo) you visit once, pay the ridiculous prices, see a few shows, throw a couple hundred bucks into the slot machines or black jack tables.  Then walk away and never go back.  The whole town just gives of a skeevy vibe to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

The ticket prices are the main problem.  Flights were around $200, hotels less than $300 within walking distance, just need to stay off the strip.

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I'd rather watch in TV, and about 15 minutes of it.  Just doesn't keep my interest.  Vegas is a place (imo) you visit once, pay the ridiculous prices, see a few shows, throw a couple hundred bucks into the slot machines or black jack tables.  Then walk away and never go back.  The whole town just gives of a skeevy vibe to me.

Agreed. I'm a Nascar fan, but after going to a race or two the best part of going was the pre race tailgate party. TV is a better experience if you want to see everything that is going on.

7 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

The ticket prices are the main problem.  Flights were around $200, hotels less than $300 within walking distance, just need to stay off the strip.

From what I read they have dropped some of the ticket prices due to slower than expected sales.

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

Agreed. I'm a Nascar fan, but after going to a race or two the best part of going was the pre race tailgate party. TV is a better experience if you want to see everything that is going on.

From what I read they have dropped some of the ticket prices due to slower than expected sales.

Yeah a nice big screen with good audio, and close enough.  Plus there's a pause button if I have to get up and take a leak.  :lol: