Check your account email address ×

Free inmate phone calls. Thoughts?

In Wisconsin a couple of counties are allowing inmates free phone calls, up to 30 minutes per day, not that the phone call is free, but the taxpayers will now pay the bill rather than the inmate or inmate's family.

BTW, here are the costs in various Wisconsin counties.

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/crime/2021/08/09/jail-phone-calls-many-wisconsin-counties-profit-but-at-inmates-cost/7966577002/

image.png.1a3cd7b74ce4d973c2ba774cd6a56ef9.png

Thoughts?

https://lacrossetribune.com/chp/news/local/eau-claire-chippewa-sheriffs-leaders-skeptical-on-free-phone-plan-in-jails/article_d91f555e-6ff9-11ed-bb3a-83a823b747b0.html

10 minutes ago, racer254 said:

In Wisconsin a couple of counties are allowing inmates free phone calls, up to 30 minutes per day, not that the phone call is free, but the taxpayers will now pay the bill rather than the inmate or inmate's family.

BTW, here are the costs in various Wisconsin counties.

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/crime/2021/08/09/jail-phone-calls-many-wisconsin-counties-profit-but-at-inmates-cost/7966577002/

image.png.1a3cd7b74ce4d973c2ba774cd6a56ef9.png

Thoughts?

https://lacrossetribune.com/chp/news/local/eau-claire-chippewa-sheriffs-leaders-skeptical-on-free-phone-plan-in-jails/article_d91f555e-6ff9-11ed-bb3a-83a823b747b0.html

Opposed, very much. 

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

They should issue one cell phone to each cell block to the biggest bad ass and let prison capitalism get to work.

Great idea, there’s no possibility of violence because it’s a gun free society 

• Haha 1

There is no reason why the prison could not install some VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) phones. Once they are installed, calls are free. Lots of companies use this technology today, it isn't a big deal.  I would have to think that it costs almost as much, or more to collect the money for the calls as the per minute rate, which means that by the time the money is collected, there is still a cost for the inmates to make the calls.

With a VIOP setup, there is an upfront cost. Then the inmates could call whoever they want (of course the calls would be limited by number/time), there would be no admin costs other than tracking the time, which is already happening.  

Edited by Catalina

11 minutes ago, Bontz said:

100% opposed to this being a taxpayer burden, but also ... WTF is up with the dramatic differences in the "First Minute" charges?  From 11 cents to $5+ ???

Those expensive counties probably only have one phone company, allowing them to jack up prices. 

Just now, Catalina said:

There is no reason why the prison could not install some VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) phones. Once they are installed, calls are free. Lots of companies use this technology today, it isn't a big I would have to think that it costs almost as much, or more to collect the money for the calls as the per minute rate, which means that by the time the money is collected, there is still a cost for the inmates to make the calls.

With a VIOP setup, there is an upfront cost. Then the inmates could call whoever they want (of course the calls would be limited by number/time), there would be no admin costs other than tracking the time, which is already happening.  

You still have to have a connection into a telco network unless the people you are calling also have IP phones that are on the same system. 

You can't just buy some IP phones and expect it to work calling any other phone. 

27 minutes ago, Bontz said:

100% opposed to this being a taxpayer burden, but also ... WTF is up with the dramatic differences in the "First Minute" charges?  From 11 cents to $5+ ???

It’s money making for the counties. They make thousands of dollars on phone calls by inmates. Of course the sheriffs are against it. Cuts into their budgets. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Incarceration is a 100% tax payer burden program.

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

That’s not entirely true. Inmates released under the Huber Law (work release) pay room and board. As do those on GPS monitoring under house arrest. 

How much do they pay?  

House arrest people should pay for there house arrest.  I would hope they pay for their own rent and mortgages.  They likely have their own cell phone as well?  Right?

How do you guys still pay by the minute?

I've got unlimited everything from coast to coast.

Somebody getting greased palms?

1 minute ago, Voodoo said:

How do you guys still pay by the minute?

I've got unlimited everything from coast to coast.

Somebody getting greased palms?

Bingo.

And they want the taxpayers on the hook for it, because that's way easier money to get rather than getting it from the inmates and their families.

Watch the money being brought in.  When the family is on the hook, magically people get a little tight with their own $$$, but now that it is taxpayer money.....watch out.

Edited by racer254

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

How much do they pay?  

House arrest people should pay for there house arrest.  I would hope they pay for their own rent and mortgages.  They likely have their own cell phone as well?  Right?

The county I was living in charged those getting out of jail for work $200 weekly. Anyone with work privileges following Covid had to be on house arrest. They were charged the same. Counties make big bucks on inmates.  

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The county I was living in charged those getting out of jail for work $200 weekly. Anyone with work privileges following Covid had to be on house arrest. They were charged the same. Counties make big bucks on inmates.  

Prison is Big Business . 

• Thanks 1

Maybe the VIOP thing is a bit more complex than I was aware of. 

But - my point is that I think the prisons should take advantage of whatever technology is available. If the cost is low enough, just absorb it, not worth the admin costs to collect the money. 

I don't think that the prisons should be making money on this. It's reasonable to expect the prisoners to pay their fair share, but steps should be taken to minimize the cost. 

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Inmates that stay in touch with family and outside support have less of a chance of reoffending. 

Fine but the stupid offenders and their families can pay for their own phone calls. If they can't afford it well then too fucking bad, fuck criminals. Don't want to do the time or spend the dime then don't do the crime.

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Fine but the stupid offenders and their families can pay for their own phone calls. If they can't afford it well then too fucking bad, fuck criminals. Don't want to do the time or spend the dime then don't do the crime.

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Yeah!!!

50 minutes ago, Catalina said:

Maybe the VIOP thing is a bit more complex than I was aware of. 

But - my point is that I think the prisons should take advantage of whatever technology is available. If the cost is low enough, just absorb it, not worth the admin costs to collect the money. 

I don't think that the prisons should be making money on this. It's reasonable to expect the prisoners to pay their fair share, but steps should be taken to minimize the cost. 

They have to record all their calls so an open voip system won't work.