Check your account email address ×

SSFB sled shopping thread

SSFB

Been looking at sleds alot lately, as much as I'm tempted to buy a new one I'm probably going to buy something used. 

These two are pretty decent deals, what do you guys think? At first I was only looking at Assaults but I'm thinking I want to try a shorty for a season at least. 

I lean more towards a Switchback but the XCR Rush was a hell of alot of fun when I rode Drew's.

@Anler

@Woodtick

@f7ben

@Bontz

2016 Switchbacks, they actually have a twin pair of them at this dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5581243378588397/

2017 XCR Rush, private sale. I'm tempted to low ball on this one and see if they take it. If they don't, I just keep driving up north and buy the other one. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5489603374457035/

• Like 1

what kind of trails do you ride?  pre-season doesn't produce the best deals... if you can wait until people trade in their current sleds for their 2023's.  Axys Indy's are what you should be looking at imo for resale and the non-baler ass end... unless you're into those.  

https://www.snowmobiletrader.com/Polaris/snowmobiles-for-sale?make=Polaris|2319876&model=850 INDY|764975370%2C800 INDY|764949812%2C600 INDY|764949814%2C800 SWITCHBACK|764949803%2C850 SWITCHBACK|764979547&price=1%3A11111

9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

what kind of trails do you ride?  pre-season doesn't produce the best deals... if you can wait until people trade in their current sleds for their 2023's.  Axys Indy's are what you should be looking at imo for resale and the non-baler ass end... unless you're into those.  

https://www.snowmobiletrader.com/Polaris/snowmobiles-for-sale?make=Polaris|2319876&model=850 INDY|764975370%2C800 INDY|764949812%2C600 INDY|764949814%2C800 SWITCHBACK|764949803%2C850 SWITCHBACK|764979547&price=1%3A11111

Black Hills trails are narrow and curvy, so alot of that. Otherwise, like to get to MN/WI with the guys or maybe even da UP some day. I just thought it would be cool to try a scaffold Poo once, I know it's not going to perform off trail and that's fine as I'm barely doing any of that the last couple years. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

22 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Black Hills trails are narrow and curvy, so alot of that. Otherwise, like to get to MN/WI with the guys or maybe even da UP some day. I just thought it would be cool to try a scaffold Poo once, I know it's not going to perform off trail and that's fine as I'm barely doing any of that the last couple years. 

I had a 2016 pro-s switch. Was just an awesome sled. Easily my favorite chassis I’ve ever ridden. I preferred it to drews xcr but the rear shock and spring need to be worked for individual rider. The stock setup is trash. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I had a 2016 pro-s switch. Was just an awesome sled. Easily my favorite chassis I’ve ever ridden. I preferred it to drews xcr but the rear shock and spring need to be worked for individual rider. The stock setup is trash. 

Is there anything I should look out for on these sleds other than the standard stuff?

1 minute ago, SSFB said:

Is there anything I should look out for on these sleds other than the standard stuff?

The bogey wheels are junk. Garbage bearings and they don’t last long. Other than that minor inconvenience mine was bullet proof. I’d check compression on any used 800ho. Should be somewhere close to 120psi. They seem to be fine motors but they will start dumping compression as the cylinders oblong which precedes breaking piston skirts 

• Like 1

Just now, f7ben said:

The bogey wheels are junk. Garbage bearings and they don’t last long. Other than that minor inconvenience mine was bullet proof. I’d check compression on any used 800ho. Should be somewhere close to 120psi. They seem to be fine motors but they will start dumping compression as the cylinders oblong which precedes breaking piston skirts 

Yeah I either need to buy a tester or borrow one.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I bought exactly this in a ‘19 this past spring. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Yup, had 16 pro-s switch, shocks/springs done by Hygear, sled rocked, thing just handled so fucking good. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SSFB said:

Been looking at sleds alot lately, as much as I'm tempted to buy a new one I'm probably going to buy something used. 

These two are pretty decent deals, what do you guys think? At first I was only looking at Assaults but I'm thinking I want to try a shorty for a season at least. 

I lean more towards a Switchback but the XCR Rush was a hell of alot of fun when I rode Drew's.

@Anler

@Woodtick

@f7ben

@Bontz

2016 Switchbacks, they actually have a twin pair of them at this dealer.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5581243378588397/

2017 XCR Rush, private sale. I'm tempted to low ball on this one and see if they take it. If they don't, I just keep driving up north and buy the other one. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5489603374457035/

The red 800 2017 Is a sweet sled. I had the same exact sled . Was a lot of fun and I put 4500 miles on it and didnt do a damn thing to it.Try for $7500 , but with the low miles The 8k probably isnt a bad deal

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Yup, had 16 pro-s switch, shocks/springs done by Hygear, sled rocked, thing just handled so fucking good. 

The spring/valving combo is probably the worst stock calibration in the history of snowmobiles. The springs are adequate for a small adult woman or child, the valving in the rear walker is good for Tucker Hibbert on a snow cross track. Just idiotic. 

I had a 2016 Switchback, but it was in Pro-X trim .... absolutely loved that sled, and still ranks as one of my favorite Polaris sleds (behind my 2018 Assault).  Nothing I can really add that hasn't already been said as it all comes down to how you ride & the shock setup.  Ben is 100% right about the bogey wheels being garbage - see if you can find the solid wheels like the XCR has.  The only real problem I had on my '16 was my electric start ring gear let go and grenaded my primary and oil reservoir.  I know a few others had the same problem, but it was still pretty rare.  Just check, in case it has e-start.

Personally, I like the Switchback and/or Assault over the shorty.  But everyone has their own preference.

If you are a smaller guy, the Pro-S will do fine.  The shocks on the XCR are way better IMO, high/low speed controls - smoother yet firmer is my experience.  I have a ‘16 Switchback Pro-S and two Switchback XCR’s, ‘18 and ‘21.  Either way you go, be prepared to adjust to your riding style and likes.  They can be dialed in to what you want.  Either are awesome trail sleds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SSFB said:

Personally I think the 2018 800 and newer is better. They upgraded the cooling and is just a rock solid engine. The chassis is great on all of them

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Personally I think the 2018 800 and newer is better. They upgraded the cooling and is just a rock solid engine. The chassis is great on all of them

Good point on the cooling ... the updated head and thermostat on the 2018+ was a nice improvement.  That said, the "rush style" rear end and the way it's enclosed ... those sleds pretty much always ran cool (and definitely cooler than other brands in the same riding conditions).

Had Pro-S sleds before and still think they are one of the best riding sleds.  One minus is they are lite on storage so I see the Pro-S your looking at has the rear rack.

An Assualt is a fun sled but it is a 144 track and on the tight trails of Wisconsin and Michigan you'll feel the extral length at the end of the day.  Its still very manageable on these trails just a detail to mention.

Had Assualt's and Switchbacks since 2011 and in 2019 went back to a shorty.  Did not care for it after riding 137 and 144 length sleds.  The sled didn't feel as planted and being the longer sleds have tipped rails didn't see any benefit with a shorty for my riding style.  For me a 136/137  is the sweet spot for my riding in Wisconsin and Michigan.

Pro-S vs XCR.  I'm not a ditch bangers but the XCR does offer some features the Pro-S does not such and the Hi/lo shocks, better brake and solid wheels.  I like the Hi/lo shock as you can really dial in your sled.  The Pro-S shock package is good but the Hi/lo give you more of a finite adjustment range.

I do my own shocks and if I get a sled without the Hi/lo adjust I will add them.

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

the wheels are fine its the bearings that suck. You can buy em cheap tho you just need to watch them

11 minutes ago, Doug said:

Had Pro-S sleds before and still think they are one of the best riding sleds.  One minus is they are lite on storage so I see the Pro-S your looking at has the rear rack.

An Assualt is a fun sled but it is a 144 track and on the tight trails of Wisconsin and Michigan you'll feel the extral length at the end of the day.  Its still very manageable on these trails just a detail to mention.

Had Assualt's and Switchbacks since 2011 and in 2019 went back to a shorty.  Did not care for it after riding 137 and 144 length sleds.  The sled didn't feel as planted and being the longer sleds have tipped rails didn't see any benefit with a shorty for my riding style.  For me a 136/137  is the sweet spot for my riding in Wisconsin and Michigan.

Pro-S vs XCR.  I'm not a ditch bangers but the XCR does offer some features the Pro-S does not such and the Hi/lo shocks, better brake and solid wheels.  I like the Hi/lo shock as you can really dial in your sled.  The Pro-S shock package is good but the Hi/lo give you more of a finite adjustment range.

I do my own shocks and if I get a sled without the Hi/lo adjust I will add them.

The hi/lo is a game changer on the rear shock. I put one on my assault and it is probably the most comfortable sled I have owned to date. 

The shorties definitely dont handle as well as the 137's. We rode them back to back and it was very noticeable by everyone 

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

The hi/lo is a game changer on the rear shock. I put one on my assault and it is probably the most comfortable sled I have owned to date. 

The shorties definitely dont handle as well as the 137's. We rode them back to back and it was very noticeable by everyone 

The short track is definitely squirely vs. the 136

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Anler said:

Can you or Tick hook him up with Paul at Pats?🤔😎

28 minutes ago, Anler said:

the wheels are fine its the bearings that suck. You can buy em cheap tho you just need to watch them

I've gotten many 1000's miles out of the bearings - keep grease in them, and water out, they last just fine.  At least that's my experience.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1