Check your account email address ×

2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

The moral of the story is people like me running the shit out sleds and finding the weak points makes arctic cat build a better product. The wall in the catalyst is now being reported by a lot of people now. The ifp suspension sucking is being reported by a lot of people now. The people a couple years ago bitching about the procross finally got them to answer and they did. Some easy calibration changes and the catalyst will be even better. If everyone said it was perfect they wouldn’t change anything 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mnstang said:

Some people are just down 5hp deal with it

Right. If you bought any 600 class sled and have to worry about top end you bought the wrong class sled. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

That bottom sled is uglier than crn, weird fucking name, monkey face that he is now hiding.

btw, are the Yamaha people still coming to TRF this winter to make sure the TRIPLE stickers get installed correctly on the prehistoric chassis... for the last time?  

asking for @Not greg b

thanks 👍

Riding buddy of mine brought both his RXC and his wife's ZR with this past weekend and got some seat time (about 90 miles on each sled).  Nothing earth shattering for "news" here, other than he is super happy coming from the ProCross to the Catalyst.  I think the ZR surprised him (he rode that the 2nd day) and he liked the shorter track and the more plush ride compared to his RXC.  Grated, we didn't have a lot of bumps as we did mostly fire lane riding and lakes.  Coming from a lot of prior sleds being 800's, he wasn't sure what to think but pretty much like anyone else has said ... it's only missed on the lakes.  He said how he wished another guy from our crew would have been with, since that guy has a ProCross & getting a chance to swap sleds for back to back comparisons.  "Noticeably better" was his thought ... and that's coming from a guy who lives and breathes Cat and put on over 4000 miles last season.

• Like 3

Okay I made more adjustments on the weights.. I do believe I have them maxed out for the stock helix. Sled has 258 miles on it and I made 4 changes to the adjustable / ADDED weight every time. Still feels like the secondary is holding the sled back UP TOP. I'm getting into the mid eighties very quickly. I have not had good conditions here to really stretch it out past 1/8 mile.. Rpm is 7950-8200 on lots of hard punches(now). After my 4th adjustment I put 30 miles on and it feels like its maxed out for weight,, Still has great pull but starting to feel SLIGHTLY less snappy . NOT doggy at all but just not slamming right to 8350 on every pull and the RPM has dropped down a lot while cruising at 50-55 MPH>> 6300-6600 RPM.. I do not work for Thunder or not selling anything just sharing what I use for weights and what I changed and some observations. I do believe in these weights and the guys that run Thunder products.. Top notch product and support. I was running these weights when LONN owned it and he always answered the phone and would chat many times with him.. The guys that own Thunder now know clutching!! 

So here goes.. Only thing different in the clutches is lightweight hardware kit from BDX in primary and lightweight spider in secondary. Precision clutch cover on the adapt primary.. With the light weight hardware in both clutches they will definitely rev quicker. And may allow for SLIGHTLY more weight to be used.. I don't think I have this sled fully dialed in but made good progress with MORE WEIGHT in the primary  AND THE slightly softer secondary spring.

First set up(zero miles) was with stock helix/spring in secondary.  Stock primary spring(used on all 4 set ups. 

1. Heavy hitters  48 gram base.  HEEL- 4.20 grams. MID- 3.29 Grams. TIP- 1.41 grams.  Tons of dust and over rev.. WAY to light in the tip..

2. Hitters  HEEL-4.20. MID- 1.42. TIP- 4.15.   Still stock helix/spring ..  Not a great set up but better then number one.. Still to much dust..

3. Hitters  HEEL- 4.20.  MID- 1.85.  TIP 4.71.  Stock helix / VENOM green/silver 155/220 secondary spring. This one I rode 133 miles on and was VERY snappy and way less dust but still looking for less dust. This was getting the belt up in the primary better.. I posted a pic in earlier post.. Still short on top end.. 

4. Hitters  HEEL-4.20.  MID- 3.30. TIP- 4.25.  Stock helix/155/220 Venom spring.. Got 30 miles on this set up on trails that did not allow long pulls.. But it brought the crazy instant over rev down some more. Still a bit to much dust IMO.. This is my final set up and weight(might move SLIGHTLY from mid to tip or vice versa but this last set up is really loading the motor and getting into the pipe nicely.. This set up smoothed out the shift some also.  Its very trail friendly compared to being WAY to light on primary weight AND guessing the gas mileage is way better then stock clutching. This is a lot of weight for hitters in this sled.. As I said these weights have always "acted" heavier then they actually weigh.. So My final set up number four with 59.8 grams would be like running 64-65 gram stock weights IMO

I have not had a chance to check throttle cable stretch YET.. The amount of dust is not terrible but I still think a SLIGHTLY shallower helix might get the legs stretcher up top and knock down some dust.  Still got a imbalance between the two clutches.. One is fighting the other and not working together. These observations are on a sled with 258 miles. 144 stud  1.52" stingers. I have definitely noticed the motor getting stronger with miles.  IMO this clutch/motor/ PIPE ! likes some tip weight/ and MORE weight in general. ALSO this exhaust system is kind of droney IMO...  The seat is to hard.. Still working on the handling but its damn good IMO.. My next change will be to a 48 straight helix and continue with the venom green silver secondary spring.. The weights I will leave alone to start but I may move MORE to the tips(from middle) with a straight angle.  Not sure how shallow anyone is going on helix but if you do Im guessing you will need more weight.. 

ALSO  important.. If you load the heel like I did MAKE SURE your using the 2 slugs in the picture.. If u use the single longer heavier slug it will not clear fully shifted out..  The short slug goes in first then the longer(kinda obvious)

Hitter empty 48 (2).jpg

Hitter heel (2).jpg

hitter middle (2).jpg

hitter tip (2).jpg

hitter final (2).jpg

Edited by jonlafon1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

Cant remember the last time I broke 20mph. Maybe my 1996 580 ZR EFI. We ran Big Elbow from entering from the channel from Little Bemidji, to the trail head, at that time, Height of Land trail. Yeah, that long ago. 

Figures

14 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Riding buddy of mine brought both his RXC and his wife's ZR with this past weekend and got some seat time (about 90 miles on each sled).  Nothing earth shattering for "news" here, other than he is super happy coming from the ProCross to the Catalyst.  I think the ZR surprised him (he rode that the 2nd day) and he liked the shorter track and the more plush ride compared to his RXC.  Grated, we didn't have a lot of bumps as we did mostly fire lane riding and lakes.  Coming from a lot of prior sleds being 800's, he wasn't sure what to think but pretty much like anyone else has said ... it's only missed on the lakes.  He said how he wished another guy from our crew would have been with, since that guy has a ProCross & getting a chance to swap sleds for back to back comparisons.  "Noticeably better" was his thought ... and that's coming from a guy who lives and breathes Cat and put on over 4000 miles last season.

What i notice the most is the amount the bars are turned when turning.. It sure seems like it turns MORE with less bar turn.. The rear on the RXC is STIFF imo..  Still working on the handling but clutching comes first for me.. But otherwise this is a really nice very predictable sled..Its so damn easy to drive.. Your driving alot faster then it feels.. Its sneaky!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Right. If you bought any 600 class sled and have to worry about top end you bought the wrong class sled. 

except I got a 340 and I am concerned about getting raped when the ladies hear it tearin ass through the alleyway.

5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

except I got a 340 and I am concerned about getting raped when the ladies hear it tearin ass through the alleyway.

5.jpg

once you get the matching snow suit it'll drop panties faster than an F7 with a DG race can.

• Thanks 1

Anyone with a Catalyst have it cut out(very slight) around 70 mph WFO pull to the bar.. Mine did a few times first 20 miles.. Only a few other in the next 230 miles.. I added Boostane as I though maybe bad fuel.. But it did it again yesterday.. Thought maybe clutching but its not.. It like its knocking and pulling timing

ANYONE know if this Cattle ass has a rev limiter in it?  

Edited by jonlafon1

13 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Anyone with a Catalyst have it cut out(very slight) around 70 mph WFO pull to the bar.. Mine did a few times first 20 miles.. Only a few other in the next 230 miles.. I added Boostane as I though maybe bad fuel.. But it did it again yesterday.. Thought maybe clutching but its not.. It like its knocking and pulling timing

Check your throttle cable. Some claim the cable Strech's. 

3 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Check your throttle cable. Some claim the cable Strech's. 

Not sure what this has to do with the engine cutting timing because its knocking?  Explain please. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

5.jpg

Should you become paranoid about being the owner let me know, I could probaby take it off your hands.

25 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Not sure what this has to do with the engine cutting timing because its knocking?  Explain please. 

Twisting the throttle while getting on the hammer can set off the safety switch is what I have read. 

24 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Should you become paranoid about being the owner let me know, I could probaby take it off your hands.

my buddy's buddy already called dibs on it... sorry 

1 minute ago, ZR6000RR said:

Twisting the throttle while getting on the hammer can set off the safety switch is what I have read. 

so the throttle block is loose? 

monkey.thumb.jpg.7f90fda4bb5423888585b6175864bee4.jpg

where did you read this? 

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

my buddy's buddy already called dibs on it... sorry 

so the throttle block is loose? 

monkey.thumb.jpg.7f90fda4bb5423888585b6175864bee4.jpg

where did you read this? 

Well I was only looking out for his physical well being. I hope your buddy's buddy feels the same.

6 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

The sled doesn't die or cut out to the point of loosing tons of speed its pulling timing or hitting the rev limiter is exactly what it feels like..

twisting throttle??  :whistle:

3 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

The sled doesn't die or cut out to the point of loosing tons of speed its pulling timing or hitting the rev limiter is exactly what it feels like..

twisting throttle??  :whistle:

arctic cat catalyst throttle safety switch - Google Search

click on what does throttle safety switch do. Pretty good video.

Edited by ZR6000RR

3 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Well I was only looking out for his physical well being. I hope your buddy's buddy feels the same.

yes, we're all very concerned about him being raped... to death