Check your account email address ×

Polaris Safety Stop Ride Notice

8 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Probably a grounding issue or cheap chink plastic. Grounding to prevent esd is why you're supposed to fill a gas gan on the ground.

We use specialized types of plastics in machines we build for an explosives company, they need to be tested for conductivity before we use them. Some plastics barely conduct. 

What we were told was anytime you move liquid in a rubber hose you build a static charge, thats why we grounded our trucks when we filled them. Its more common in the summer but seen less as its easier for the spark to jump with the heavy wet air, visually you see it more in the winter.  One of the big examples was filling the plastic gas tank in a plastic bed liner, guess the liner is really prone to build a charge.

Years ago I reached into my truck bed and the hair stood up on my arm, its so rare for that to happen.  One question my wife had was aren't we running non ethanol fuels to avoid phase separation 

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Doug said:

Friend worked for them and retired last year. 

What's the new opportunity?

Service advisor for a Euro car repair facility 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Dealers will be backed up until FEB fixing this  :thumbsdown:

Fucking sucks , and I was gonna pull mine out this weekend and start prepping and cleaning. 

This is 100% a CYA (cover your ass) by Polaris, given their history with fire hazards.  Only 30 cases over 230K units?  I say they can suck a dick.  Go about this season BAU and prep/clean/ride as you normally would.  Play the "I added fresh fuel" card.

• Like 3

• Gold Member
Just now, Bontz said:

This is 100% a CYA (cover your ass) by Polaris, given their history with fire hazards.  Only 30 cases over 230K units?  I say they can suck a dick.  Go about this season BAU and prep/clean/ride as you normally would.  Play the "I added fresh fuel" card.

Yeah I tend to agree. Its all about protection from the Lawyers . 

Stopped at the dealership today a spoke with the service manager. Polaris is supposed to come up with the fix by the end of September, we agreed with the number of sled's involved the backlog will be huge. 

Wife wants me to trade out and pick up a 600r.

9 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

Stopped at the dealership today a spoke with the service manager. Polaris is supposed to come up with the fix by the end of September, we agreed with the number of sled's involved the backlog will be huge. 

I'm more concerned with the parts required to fix this, not being impacted by supply chain issues.  Or at least that being a large contributor to the delay in getting this done on top of the huge number of sleds needing the update/fix.

51 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

In development speak, that mean they already have a fix, it’s been validated, now they are just trying to figure out logistics. 

Meh- where's Jim Ramstad when you want him? @ZR6000RR

I have the throttle recall, hose service bulletin, and now the fire recall to take care of. Lets be realistic, this isn't going to be rectified before the snow flies. I'm not worried- my sled is awesome, and I won't be missing any riding days this season.

After I got the bugs sorted out last season, my sled was solid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

In development speak, that mean they already have a fix, it’s been validated, now they are just trying to figure out logistics. 

I'm going to take the risk and ride it if it's not been updated by time the snow comes. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

In bean counter speak (I'm not one!) ... let's find the cheapest possible supplier to make our investors happy.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

I'm going to take the risk and ride it if it's not been updated by time the snow comes. :)

Same. 

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

In bean counter speak (I'm not one!) ... let's find the cheapest possible supplier to make our investors happy.

Correct. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Ground strap on the fuel pump, had 1 fire, 30 units with deteriorated ground straps out of 230k units..so there you go fellas. Fill the tank before you start it if you want to ride

• Like 3

So I'm speculating wildly here but it may be possible while a phase separation is occurring that the induced movement of the 2 liquids separating could build up a charge. Especially if both liquids have a different molecular charge. 

It would be similar to a galvanic voltage that is produced in dissimilar metals. 

Proper grounding would take care of this issue.