Check your account email address ×

Cross Country 2022

It is very unfortunate today after our crew, the Park Rapids community and many racers left the event feeling things were highly successful to see on social media today many people negative comments...

Normally we do not feed into social media but after this weekend and what actually transpired that we need to make a statement; many things are being stated without context or the full story.

As we pulled permits for this event mandatory stop signs were a high-level issue item with the sheriff dept as there has been a history of stop sign violations in previous events. At the safety meeting Thursday night, the Heartland 200 event committee expressed these concerns to the spotters and that we needed to ensure procedures were being followed.

Saturday of the event at riders meeting I expressed numerous times that there were four mandatory stop locations manned by spotters, once racing started, we received three stop sign violations all from the once area that is a high concern for law enforcement which this location also had the sheriff on site. These three riders did not even slow down, I immediately reached out to the person overseeing the spotters and discussed the scenario. As a group we revisited with the personnel at these locations and reiterated procedures, no racer was disqualified on Saturday.

Sunday at riders meeting I once again very highly and in depth stated that these 4 stop locations are mandatory and the rule book states that violation of a mandatory stop is automatic disqualification. There was a question about how the spotters at the crossings were sending riders through and the person that is charge of these spotters was at the riders meeting and told the racers the same procedures these spotters were given on how to work the mandatory stop sign locations. Once racing started we received notification of two riders who again did not even slow down at the same location, the spotter called in the violation and then the scoring crew communicated with the spotter and the person in charge about the incident. After this there were two more mandatory stop violations in which our scoring staff verified rider numbers and violation.

After the race was completed and scoring personnel worked through the list of penalties and time credits, I had these four riders from Sunday incidents called to the scoring trailer. I then informed them of the violations and referenced the course map on the wall in the trailer where the four mandatory stops were located. I explained in depth the violation and what the rulebook states, this automatic disqualification rule has been in place for over 15 years with previous race series as portions of the Cor PowerSports rulebook comes from those that ran these races before us.

On page 14 of the 21/22 Cor PowerSports handbook, it states:

STOP SIGNS 

Stop signs are extremely important safety items in the Cor PowerSports. As such, the penalties for stop sign violations are harsh. 

Failure to stop 

o 1st offense- disqualification 

Failure to stop in a timely fashion (sliding up onto the roadway before stopping) 

o 1st offense- disqualification

This offense is correctable. When indicated to continue by the race official, the driver can safely pull over on the opposite side of the road or trail from the stop sign, pull his tether cord and run around his machine one time. This “Chinese Fire Drill” should be brought to the attention of the race official. If done correctly, no penalty will be assessed. 

With cross country terrain races, we cross multiple highways, county roads, and secondary roads; these roads then are discussed during the permit process with local law enforcement and then high-risk crossings will be deemed mandatory stops and have spotters on hand to control the crossings. If you are delayed, they will call in a time credit, if you violate stop sign procedures, they will call in that violation.

These mandatory stop sign locations are in place for the racer’s safety AND the safety of the public on the roads, if we do not follow these procedures and handle violations as stated in our own rule book then we will no longer be able to secure the permits needed to run events like the Heartland 200.

When a rider is disqualified at an event, they are notified by a series official.

Another topic is the road running penalty; for many years when running ditch races road running has been an issue. There are rules in place for this violation and again on Page 14 of the 21/22 Cor PowerSports handbook the rule for road running clearly states procedures:

ROAD RUNNING 

Road running is defined by riding on the actual road surface or riding on the shoulder of the road when the race course markers are located in the ditch bottom. 

o 1st offense- 5-minute penalty 

o 2nd offense-disqualification 

The road running penalty this weekend was given as one of the spotters sent the scoring officials a video of the incident, multiple series officials viewed the video and then when the spotter came to the trailer at the end of the day, we had them explain the situation and clarify the incident. In the video you see two sleds come over a driveway approach in which the backside runs the main line of the ditch, the second sled then moved up onto the plowed portion of the shoulder in which he missed a set of gates and improved his position.

After viewing the video and speaking with the spotter I reviewed the rule book for the proper penalty to be assessed, it clearly states in the rule book the definition of road running and penalty for first offense. Based on the video and the rule book this rider was assessed a 5-minute penalty.

Time credits are not something that is set in stone as each incident is unique and processed through with the individuals involved in the situation, a series official will listen to the scenario and get information from all parties involved then bring it to scoring officials to determine the adequate credit for the situation.

At the end of the day, we at Cor PowerSports do not want to be in the position of assessing such severe penalties but to ensure fair competition, safety of the public, and to follow the guidelines we have set in place with permits we have to make these tough decisions. 

We hope that this explanation clears up any confusion or contradictory information that is circulating.

Sincerely,

Todd and Andrea

https://www.facebook.com/231182773667389/posts/4701919829926972/?sfnsn=more

What do they expect not stopping for a manned stop sign?  I like the rule about sliding onto the road and having to run around the sled.  Seems like a good way for riders to police themselves and keep penalties out of the official's hands.

Road running has been banned since half way through the first I500. 

36 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Between Benham and Yurk they better win more than one race combined this season.  Still a lot of racing left this year though.

Its crazy to think we only have had 6 rounds of racing so far of the 16 we have in a season , feels like we should be well beyond that. 

2 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

Its crazy to think we only have had 6 rounds of racing so far of the 16 we have in a season , feels like we should be well beyond that. 

Yup, and this weekend is off again.  Race in NY the following week and then another weekend off.  Then racing every weekend in March. 

Hopefully Deadwood still happens this year.  It was in the 60s in Rapid City yesterday.  In case it doesn't, I would propose Canterbury again.  Their schedule is clear that weekend and the snow from round 1 didn't go anywhere.

54 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Yup, and this weekend is off again.  Race in NY the following week and then another weekend off.  Then racing every weekend in March. 

Hopefully Deadwood still happens this year.  It was in the 60s in Rapid City yesterday.  In case it doesn't, I would propose Canterbury again.  Their schedule is clear that weekend and the snow from round 1 didn't go anywhere.

not looking forward to march. Odds are if there were a second race it would be erx or fargo just due to costs, but a march race in Canterbury would be wild (and tbh I love the venue) 

20 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

not looking forward to march. Odds are if there were a second race it would be erx or fargo just due to costs, but a march race in Canterbury would be wild (and tbh I love the venue) 

Fargo sure was a nice track.  I wouldn't mind seeing them race there again.  Deadwood is my least favorite track but they can't do much other than a tight oval at that venue.

8 hours ago, fortune46x said:

They have corn dogs don't they?  ;)

I wonder how Geneva is going to go... again.  They need to find a better time/date if they want to keep having it at that place.  We have a great (north facing) ski hill in Wausau, it's the home of Polaris Racing and in the crosshairs of I39 & WI29.  Hell, there's a contest to see how long the snow will last up there.  Make it happen Captain.

https://www.waow.com/community/contests/tracking-the-snowmelt-in-2021/article_513cf02c-e27f-58c6-8d0c-4281bbf2f3fe.html

3 hours ago, airflite1 said:

Herfindahl, Dan Revering then Wes Selby the first 3 in, 2laps kid is out.

Polaris guys laying back waiting for the Cat's to break?

Wes should do well, Doo's have a bit more speed.

2laps son also dnf'd at the GD Soo too, and was in the mix for a while.  Miss that guy.

Watching Mira boys on Floracing right now, because they show it unlike cross country.  :wall: