Check your account email address ×

Lyme Disease in Dogs

• Platinum Contributing Member

Sadie our Cattle Dog tested positive yesterday for Lyme Disease...she doesn’t show any symptoms and the vet did a specific test yesterday and will let us know tomorrow what to do going forward. Goddamn ticks.🤬

Has anybody dealt with this in their dogs? 

• Sad 3

Do you use one of the flea & tick meds  for prevention?  Just curious how these products work against dogs getting bit and preventing Lyme. 

Everyone is talking about how bad ticks are this year.  Pulled one off my chest Sunday after we got back from a walk.  Luckily I decided to change my shirt in bathroom or would of never know it was on me. 

49 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

My mom's dog has Lyme's, no symptoms. Same story you have.

Hope they both stay symptom free.👍🏼

36 minutes ago, MILFMAN said:

My Lab tested positive for it years ago. 

As long as he doesn't have an issue, they don't recommend doing anything.

Then my question was, then why even test?

It’s part of a 4 way test that includes Heartworm and two others I can’t recall. 

36 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Sorry to hear Jim. Does she wear a Soresto collar or something different?

Thanks and we do the monthly liquid treatments down the back. 

33 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Do you use one of the flea & tick meds  for prevention?  Just curious how these products work against dogs getting bit and preventing Lyme. 

Everyone is talking about how bad ticks are this year.  Pulled one off my chest Sunday after we got back from a walk.  Luckily I decided to change my shirt in bathroom or would of never know it was on me. 

I’ve looked into the collars and chewables but their seems to be a chance for fairly serious side effects so between the drops and avoiding the woods during prime tick season I figured we were good.🤷🏻

Glad you found the little bastard before he had a chance to bite you...nasty mofos for sure.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

One of my sister's dogs had it, they treated her with antibiotics and that was all. I guess it's much easier to treat in dogs than people.

Hope you get Sadie sorted out quickly. :bc:

Thanks...I appreciate that.👍🏼

7 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Our first lab got Lyme disease when she was 7 and lived till she was 14. Every couple of years she would have a siezure that would wipe her out for a few hours but other than that she was fine. 

Seizures stink but other than that sounds like she dealt with it well.👍🏼

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Hope they both stay symptom free.👍🏼

It’s part of a 4 way test that includes Heartworm and two others I can’t recall. 

Thanks and we do the monthly liquid treatments down the back. 

I’ve looked into the collars and chewables but their seems to be a chance for fairly serious side effects so between the drops and avoiding the woods during prime tick season I figured we were good.🤷🏻

Glad you found the little bastard before he had a chance to bite you...nasty mofos for sure.

we do the chewables  and drizzle down back. I am kind of conflicted with these meds. always worried she will have some sort of side effects, such a small dog.  I was thinking of getting collar for when we go on walks, but not sure if they make any difference.  Pretty sure when i picked her up to put her in truck is how I got tick. 

Hope it works out for your pooch.  

• Thanks 1

I know of many dogs who got it . My cabin was the bulls eye for infected dear tics . I have had the bulls eye 2 times after a bite and had to take the steroids for e weeks after .

Most dogs are fine some just get tired more ez than they use to . And let's be honest in a Australian cattel dog that would not be the worst thing in the world lol . 

• Haha 1

Our state and our area in particular is the worst place for tic disease, not only lyme but others as well, some dogs get very sick from it most get very stiff in the joints and run a high fever. We had one of our race horses get it and it kept him from racing near his potential for months and he never really raced as well after.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Sadie our Cattle Dog tested positive yesterday for Lyme Disease...she doesn’t show any symptoms and the vet did a specific test yesterday and will let us know tomorrow what to do going forward. Goddamn ticks.🤬

We give our dog Bravecto, prescribed by our vet.

• Thanks 1

I was told by our vet years ago that lyme in dogs is common and most aren't affected at all. It can be treated more easily than in humans if it does affect them.  It's hardly worth testing for unless your dog is sick.  So....I guess I'll take his word for it.  I wish I could find another vet like him.  Shit, now it seems they all want to stuff your animals full of vaccines and anti-biotics for any sign of ailment.  I think they use the same schools as chiropractors!  

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yes.   Last 3 had it including the 2 I currently have.   They have had no serious issues directly related to it.   I don't believe its nearly as big a deal in dogs as it is people or at least it hasn't been in ours.  My lab is now almost 10 and the vet can't believe how good she looks at that age.   One Yorkie lived to 15 and his sister is still kicking.   Dementia on Biden level but healthy otherwise.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

I raise hounds for hunting and live in an area infested with ticks. I used to use Frontline, but switched to seresto collars years ago because the Frontline wasn't very effective. So far no side effects from either product. Neither 1 is 100% effective though. I don't get the dogs tested unless they show symptoms, then it's about 4 weeks of doxycycline pills and they should be good. Way easier to treat in dogs than humans

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I raise hounds for hunting and live in an area infested with ticks. I used to use Frontline, but switched to seresto collars years ago because the Frontline wasn't very effective. So far no side effects from either product. Neither 1 is 100% effective though. I don't get the dogs tested unless they show symptoms, then it's about 4 weeks of doxycycline pills and they should be good. Way easier to treat in dogs than humans

Thanks for info. I believe we are using Fromtline 

59 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Get it treated they may not show symptoms now but down the road it can fuck them up bad. My wife’s a vet tech she deals with it all the time. I can ask her if you got any questions.

Thanks everybody for the replies and I figured it was fairly common...I’ll let my daughter know as she always worries about her Sadie Girl!👍🏼☺️🐶

• Like 1

• Gold Member
4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Best of luck for your furball, Jimmy! 

3 hours ago, Cold War said:

we do the chewables  and drizzle down back. I am kind of conflicted with these meds. always worried she will have some sort of side effects, such a small dog.  I was thinking of getting collar for when we go on walks, but not sure if they make any difference.  Pretty sure when i picked her up to put her in truck is how I got tick. 

Hope it works out for your pooch.  

I was religious with the heartworm meds until I started reading into the condition. Not only is the condition rare, the preventive meds are only marginally effective. I stopped giving both of dogs the med. I’m finding a great deal of misinformation given by some vets. 

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I was religious with the heartworm meds until I started reading into the condition. Not only is the condition rare, the preventive meds are only marginally effective. I stopped giving both of dogs the med. I’m finding a great deal of misinformation given by some vets. 

👍

I m definitely going to look into this further.  I mean really, you’re are giving your dog an insecticide.  I have been pretty trusting with my vet , thinking they have had my dogs best interest . A few incidents with this last dog really didn’t sit well and left me wondering.