Check your account email address ×

Fucking building supplies

I am supose to be digging my foundation now and saying fuck it . I am doing icf and that has not gone up but I can't justify 32 bucks for osb 7/16 and 42 for3/4 and 8 bucks for a 2x4 . Hope it is not the new norm.  Acctualy was looking in to icf roof and loft but can't find any one who has personally done a roof 

6 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

What' difference does that make, same logs from the same logger (Jeff Heath) go to Mainia's Hardwoods here for flooring and for walls, all tongue and groove.

I sold what I had remaining when I quit burning wood, and it was used for Oak Flooring..

You can get some sawlogs out of firewood loads from small loggers but any consistent supplier is classifying their logs and selling them separately. You have firewood , tie , stave and veneer quality material. Most firewood loads would have very little to saw.

Edited by f7ben

• Gold Member

The contractor redoing the garage after the fire was saying that the price of supplies of all sorts have gone through the roof BUT the insurance companies formulas for pricing have not made the adjustment and therefor prepare for an argument with them over cost.

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You can get some sawlogs out of firewood loads from small loggers but any consistent supplier is classifying their logs and selling them separately. You have firewood , tie , stave and veneer quality material. Most firewood loads would have very little to saw.

If you are ever here again I'll take you to Maina's Hardwoods on CTH A about 7 miles from us, they get the same wood I used to get from the some of same loggers, even Butternut..Maina's do not do Veneer. They have 100's of logs piled up on any day, their kiln is a 2 story building which uses their on sawdust for drying, Saw room has Laser saws, planning room is 150 feet long, fairly large operation. 

https://mainahardwoods.com/

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

If you are ever here again I'll take you to Maina's Hardwoods on CTH A about 7 miles from us, they get the same wood I used to get from the some of same loggers, even Butternut..Maina's do not do Veneer. They have 100's of logs piled up on any day, their kiln is a 2 story building which uses their on sawdust for drying, Saw room has Laser saws, planning room is 150 feet long, fairly large operation. 

https://mainahardwoods.com/

I can’t find any logs here yet but I have some decent leads. It’s pretty tough right now

Just now, f7ben said:

I can’t find any logs here yet but I have some decent leads. It’s pretty tough right now

When I'm out and about I see dozens of Logging trucks, Louisiana Pacific in nearby and they HONESTLY have millions of logs stacked on a couple 100 acres, trains bring much of the logs in as well well as taking out finished products, my son-in law works at a factory near LP which makes a product for LP that's used on their siding. Logging is the largest industry here with Tourism being second.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

When I'm out and about I see dozens of Logging trucks, Louisiana Pacific in nearby and they HONESTLY have millions of logs stacked on a couple 100 acres, trains bring much of the logs in as well well as taking out finished products, my son-in law works at a factory near LP which makes a product for LP that's used on their siding. Logging is the largest industry here with Tourism being second.

the big companies are buying up everything they can because their is such demand leaving little for the small buyer.  I drove by the Irving and Daaquam facilities last week in northern Maine and they were packed with logs and there were more plowed roads than in years because they are trying to pull as much as they can before mud season.  Finding a small logger who does small selective cuts or house lots is prob the best chance for a small buyer.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I worked for Louisiana Pacific for 10 years. The only logs you'll get out of them are twisted up rejects.

3 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I worked for Louisiana Pacific for 10 years. The only logs you'll get out of them are twisted up rejects.

In Hayward?

They make Hardiplank siding here, plywood, and transfer case clutch materials.

Just now, f7ben said:

You know any loggers up on the shore? I need some loads of softwood most urgently 

Try Krech's sawmill it's a small operation, don't know much about them.  Hull's sawmill used to be in Brimson, not sure if they're still running.

• Gold Member
57 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

the big companies are buying up everything they can because their is such demand leaving little for the small buyer.  I drove by the Irving and Daaquam facilities last week in northern Maine and they were packed with logs and there were more plowed roads than in years because they are trying to pull as much as they can before mud season.  Finding a small logger who does small selective cuts or house lots is prob the best chance for a small buyer.  

You go down 81 out of Ashland? There was a cut off there and holy fuck must have been a mile of stacked up logs on the side of the road most I’ve ever seen up there.

35 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

They rised when Trudeau closed the border.

Lumber is still coming through here from Canada. There is a big yard here in town where they get 4 trains from Quebec a week. After it's unloaded from the railcars it gets loaded on trucks for distribution throughout the area..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Friend of mine is a home builder and only gets a 2 week guaranty on lumber pricing to lock it in.

This is a lie.  You don't have any friends.  :lol2:

Still, this isn't making me all that happy right now seeing as how I'll most likely break ground in your area by end of summer.  

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

This is a lie.  You don't have any friends.  :lol2:

Still, this isn't making me all that happy right now seeing as how I'll most likely break ground in your area by end of summer.  

When his customers don't lock in and he has to requote with a price increase they're shocked but still sign.

What area you looking at?  I'll go warn the nearest Culver's.  

1 hour ago, Doug said:

When his customers don't lock in and he has to requote with a price increase they're shocked but still sign.

What area you looking at?  I'll go warn the nearest Culver's.  

Not sure yet.  

Fuck Culver's.  To my surprise, they have them down south now....I thought about buying another crotch rocket and doing another yard sale in their lot here to see if maybe they'll pay me.  

Just got off a call this morning and they were talking about lumber prices.  Apparently it is the mills and retailers making all the profits.  The wholesale price of the logs hasn't seen the same increases as the finished product.

Last year it was tough to even find lumber.  I needed one 10' stick of 2x10, pressure treated to replace a rotten piece on my deck.  Menards was completely sold out.  Ended up finding one at Lowes.