Check your account email address ×

Fucking building supplies

I posted some green rough cut lumber for sale yesterday ..... received 21 messages and sold more than I can cut in a week of part time sawing. It’s a good time to make little pieces of wood from big pieces 

72F368F8-9EB9-4982-9720-466AEE5C753F.jpeg

• Like 6

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I posted some green rough cut lumber for sale yesterday ..... received 21 messages and sold more than I can cut in a week of part time sawing. It’s a good time to make little pieces of wood from big pieces 

72F368F8-9EB9-4982-9720-466AEE5C753F.jpeg

That thing must be like a money printing machine these days.

8 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

That thing must be like a money printing machine these days.

If I could find a consistent source for good saw logs I could casually cut $500 a day without much effort 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doorider said:

I just built a new mudroom bench. Used 4 sheets of 3/4" sanded ply.....$54 each:bashhead:

My wife wants a greenhouse for her birthday. Looked at 1 for just under $1000, Said fuck it , Ill build you one. Now Im having second thoughts

9 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Do you plane 'em too or just rough saw?

Just getting sawmill routine down....I bought a commercial planer molder also and will be setting that up throughout the summer. Dehumidification kiln will be operational by fall as well. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Just getting sawmill routine down....I bought a commercial planer molder also and will be setting that up throughout the summer. Dehumidification kiln will be operational by fall as well. 

Will you use sawdust for the kiln?

Prices are high and material availability is low. What could go wrong?

My son and his buddy set up my chainsaw mill at the cabin to help make some 8x8 rough saw posts for a project he is doing because the mills up there are quoting like 4-6 weeks to fill the order for 8 of them.

Edited by Big Crappie
  • Haha 1

I have quite a few large pines on my property up north. I've been contemplating taking a few down to have rough sawn boards made to finish the inside of my garage. There are several Amish mills in the area, but I've also thought about going the route you did with my own mill.

5 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

I have quite a few large pines on my property up north. I've been contemplating taking a few down to have rough sawn boards made to finish the inside of my garage. There are several Amish mills in the area, but I've also thought about going the route you did with my own mill.

My buddy had the Amish build his pole building for half the cost of “English” builders...they live right down the road from him. Pretty sure they milled the lumber and made the trusses themselves. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

My wife wants a greenhouse for her birthday. Looked at 1 for just under $1000, Said fuck it , Ill build you one. Now Im having second thoughts

all depends on how fancy she want it but i built a hoop house for short money useing hardware store supplys.   $100 bucks actually.

the hoops were rebar 20' long with 1/2" conduit over that, a bundle or two of strapping and a bunch of 1/2" conduit clips and  staple gun & staples.   super easy.  

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Yesterday I paid $ 6. 29 for an 8 ft 2x4 . 

I was shocked Paid less for the 1 lb box of drywall screws

lumber.jpg

i built the ramp for the back of my track and everything was 50% o more than I remembered paying for plywood and 2 bys than my last project.  Crazy.  

• Gold Member

My builder said the cost to frame our house would have been 15-20k more if we had started just a few weeks after we did. He couldn’t even get PT decking he took the hit on trex just to keep it rolling along. Last I seen in my area a 8ft 2x4 was 8 or 9 bucks at the big orange store.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

If I could find a consistent source for good saw logs I could casually cut $500 a day without much effort 

Here they get $850 for 10-12 loggers cords, delivered, usually your choice of Oak, Ash, Maple or a mix of all three.

8 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Here they get $850 for 10-12 loggers cords, delivered, usually your choice of Oak, Ash, Maple or a mix of all three.

That’s for firewood 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That’s for firewood 

What' difference does that make, same logs from the same logger (Jeff Heath) go to Mainia's Hardwoods here for flooring and for walls, all tongue and groove.

I sold what I had remaining when I quit burning wood, and it was used for Oak Flooring..