Check your account email address ×

We’re a dying breed.

17 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Young people today don’t know how to fix anything. Not only that, but few have any interest or take any form of satisfaction in fixing a mechanical device. 

Most of em have everything delivered to the house while they sit on their asses. Doordash, Assdash whatever. Lazy fucks.

Im not blaming it all on parents, but many parents dont know how to either. And so they cannot teach their kids. I think this contributes bigly. 

My 9yr old doesn't give 2 shits. My 6 yr old wanted tools like mine for christmas. 

My dad didn't teach me shit. He knew enough to fuck shit up worse, but thats about it. I was lucky enough to work for a local guy who taught me alot, AND the confidence to be able to fix most anything I feel is worth fixing. 

Im going to try to teach both my boys. I might have to start smoking pot to make sure I have the patience....

29 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Young people today don’t know how to fix anything. Not only that, but few have any interest or take any form of satisfaction in fixing a mechanical device. 

One of my sons is super talented with his hands and can fix or rig most anything. The other is just learning his way around a tool box. Mostly home related stuff but he's leaning. I bought him a big Kobalt tool set when he bought his house and he is doing some decent projects. My youngest hung around the garage when i worked on bikes or sleds and picked up quite a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

Im not blaming it all on parents, but many parents dont know how to either. And so they cannot teach their kids. I think this contributes bigly. 

My 9yr old doesn't give 2 shits. My 6 yr old wanted tools like mine for christmas. 

My dad didn't teach me shit. He knew enough to fuck shit up worse, but thats about it. I was lucky enough to work for a local guy who taught me alot, AND the confidence to be able to fix most anything I feel is worth fixing. 

Im going to try to teach both my boys. I might have to start smoking pot to make sure I have the patience....

My wife always is saying I can't believe you fixed that. Most times it's because I'm too cheap to pay the guy. As I get older, I tend to pay the guy more and more.

Just now, s pump said:

My wife always is saying I can't believe you fixed that. Most times it's because I'm too cheap to pay the guy. As I get older, I tend to pay the guy more and more.

I hear ya. We are comfortable financially, but I just cant justify paying someone for things I can do myself. It just bothers me. Never taken a vehicle to dealer to get fixed, other than safety recalls that get "fixed" for free. Even if I have to buy specialty tools, its still cheaper to do it myself. 

I will say though, I am already dreading the day I have to replace the timing chains, cam phasers in my Ecoboost. 

1st weekend I dated my wife she wanted me to teach her what I was working on. Well, she stood right next to me and learned how to rebuild Holley Dominator carbs that where on supercharged boat motors.

Kid didn’t get any of that DNA. Lol.

Good news is, my area is back to how it was, many young folks working on cars/trucks/boats/jet ski’s etc.

• Like 1

Fixing stuff?   What’s that?  It breaks, you throw it out and buy more cheap shit.   How would you teach your kids when you don’t even have the skills to even say change a fuse.   I drive down the road on trash day and see brand new looking lawn equipment tossed to the curb.  

• Like 1

Spent a couple  hours at the shop with Scott getting a sticker. Did a quick resonator delete and scavenged an old hanger to replace the missing one for the tail pipe.

Could have gone new... could have used new shit... we just used what was lying around and made it work. Sticker and an oil change for $31.... lol

12 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Fixing stuff?   What’s that?  It breaks, you throw it out and buy more cheap shit.   How would you teach your kids when you don’t even have the skills to even say change a fuse.   I drive down the road on trash day and see brand new looking lawn equipment tossed to the curb.  

My ex wife was a spendaholic.  Didn't matter if it was expensive pens, shoes, phones, computers, toys for the kids, whatever.  She'd just buy new shit all the time.  Then we'd have to buy Rubbermaid totes to store it all in, then shelves to stack it on.  Then when she finally moved out, I had to rent a 30 yd dumpster to get rid of all of it.  It kind of describes how much of our society lives nowadays.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My ex wife was a spendaholic.  Didn't matter if it was expensive pens, shoes, phones, computers, toys for the kids, whatever.  She'd just buy new shit all the time.  Then we'd have to buy Rubbermaid totes to store it all in, then shelves to stack it on.  Then when she finally moved out, I had to rent a 30 yd dumpster to get rid of all of it.  It kind of describes how much of our society lives nowadays.

My MIL is the same way.   When the kids were little we would have to make couple trips back and forth with truck to drag all the shit home.  After a few years I would ask the wife,  should I just dump it at the curb now instead of dragging it down to the basement for a year first?  What a waste 

Just now, Cold War said:

My MIL is the same way.   When the kids were little we would have to make couple trips back and forth at Christmas  with truck to drag all the shit home.  After a few years I would ask the wife,  should I just dump it at the curb now instead of dragging it down to the basement for a year first?  What a waste 

I'm trying to teach my son the best I can but with his attitude at times, it gets frustrating. We just changed a headlight, again, on his 08 Malibu and to do so, the whole front fascia needs to come off. It's a shitty job but we got it done and all was good, then I checked his oil and it was down so I told him he has to keep a better eye on things like that and that's when things went south. :dunno:

I'm not sure if home schooling, hormones or his GF are starting to wear on him, but he seems rather quick tempered lately and its starting to wear on my wife and me. He is 19 now and will be 20 in 6 months so it's likely all those things combined? I don't think social media helps much either. 

At least I received an apology this time as I think he knew he was out of line. 

WP_20180906_15_41_03_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180906_15_40_58_Pro (2).jpg

2 minutes ago, small-bore said:

My niece's husband would be one of those. His car tire was a little low so he pumped it up until it blew. He had no idea a tire only needed what pressure it was rated for, he just kept pumping lol.

I seen a grown man drive into a gas station years ago, when I was a teen, with a low/flat tire and he said he would pay any one of us $5 dollars to put air in his tire. This totally surprised me as I couldn't fathom anyone, especially a grown man, didn't know how to put air in a tire? I guess some, like me then, take things for granted that our fathers, or others, have taught us over the years and it's hard to understand but there are people like that out there, for whatever reason, that don't know some of these things. 

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

They would get bored with HVAC, they're all going to be mental health professionals. :lmao:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, irv said:

I'm trying to teach my son the best I can but with his attitude at times, it gets frustrating. We just changed a headlight, again, on his 08 Malibu and to do so, the whole front fascia needs to come off. It's a shitty job but we got it done and all was good, then I checked his oil and it was down so I told him he has to keep a better eye on things like that and that's when things went south. :dunno:

I'm not sure if home schooling, hormones or his GF are starting to wear on him, but he seems rather quick tempered lately and its starting to wear on my wife and me. He is 19 now and will be 20 in 6 months so it's likely all those things combined? I don't think social media helps much either. 

At least I received an apology this time as I think he knew he was out of line. 

WP_20180906_15_41_03_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180906_15_40_58_Pro (2).jpg

I learned after the first time doing it on the Malibu we had it was well worth the $50 the shop by our house charged to just let them deal with it.

If I was the GM engineering manager, I'd have fired every engineer that had anything to do with that design except one to bare witness to the following ones of what not to do.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I learned after the first time doing it on the Malibu we had it was well worth the $50 the shop by our house charged to just let them deal with it.

If I was the GM engineering manager, I'd have fired every engineer that had anything to do with that design except one to bare witness to the following ones of what not to do.

$50 is a good deal but I know, at least up here, that would be a lot more expensive. It's almost $20 now just for the bulb and with shop rates in the neighborhood of $100-$150, it would likely be at least a $200 dollar job. My bud has a garage where I could take it to but there isn't always a bay free nor the time due to prior bookings. It's a PITA but only take an hour of our time anymore. 

3 hours ago, Legend said:

True story .

A buds kid 14yr old bent up a Arm last week dad is worthless at this stuff  asked if I would come over and help .  he assumed I would just do it.  I got there and made him go to the neighbors and  get his son and i had the kid do the whole job with my instruction . 

He was real proud of doing it.  And way better of for it . It is shameful they don't have any shop classes any more 

• Like 1

My dad passed when I was 13. He really never passed on any mechanical lessons. I learned from my friends Dads, their brothers and learned carpentry from a great old Greek carpenter named Arthur. I learned finish and frame from him. He thought me how to build stair stringers 40 years ago.  I built a set of second floor stairs off the deck last year and when I was figuring rise and tread depth and height I heard his voice in my head “don’t forget to figure in the top step and the bottom step correct you putz” RIP old friend.

Wanting to learn is the key to learning.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Legend said:

I hear ya. We are comfortable financially, but I just cant justify paying someone for things I can do myself. It just bothers me. Never taken a vehicle to dealer to get fixed, other than safety recalls that get "fixed" for free. Even if I have to buy specialty tools, its still cheaper to do it myself. 

I will say though, I am already dreading the day I have to replace the timing chains, cam phasers in my Ecoboost. 

I can fix my trucks and cars and in the past did . But to me it is just waisted time seeing as I can deduct every cent of it . And the older I get the more I dislike wrenching . I use to enjoy it now feels like a shitty chore .