Check your account email address ×

Official ATV / UTV / OFFROAD thread

I just bought my side x side and I spent months looking at all the different brands. First I was not looking for the biggest and most powerful I wanted a mid size for the trails around the house and for plowing the driveway. The CF Moto gave you a lot for the money but it never felt like it was made that well. The Polaris mid size was awful, not a single piece of it looked like it was well made. The BRP Commander is a nice piece just not what I had in mind. Honda makes two I was looking at a 500 and a 700 both are pretty nice and unique. I went with the Kawasaki mule mx pro. Better built than the others (more steel less plastic) and a good reputation. Yamaha does not really make a mid sized unit but their stuff is pretty nice. Looked at Textron but they really don't make a mid size but very hd components.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

2 neighbors have CF Moto's, nothing but problems..another guy near me was a CF dealer, he stopped selling them because of so many complaints and difficult to get parts.

I've owned one since 2014 (Z800) and got it with an extended bumper to bumper 5 year warranty.  I've had  little issues with it, thermostat failed, elka shocks leaked, nothing that would prevent me from purchasing again.

My favorite is the Canam Maverick X3 though.

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I've owned one since 2014 (Z800) and got it with an extended bumper to bumper 5 year warranty.  I've had  little issues with it, thermostat failed, elka shocks leaked, nothing that would prevent me from purchasing again.

My favorite is the Canam Maverick X3 though.

The X3 is awesome, I know a few who own them.

So much depends on the conditions folks ride the wheelers, sometimes items wear out or break in only a few 1000 miles, still others I've seen will go years before needing anything but the basics.

Fan is not working on my 2014 Polaris Sportsman 400. Overheated today.

About two years ago same thing, brought it to the dealer, it was a relay. $100.00.

I'm gonna dig into it tomorrow. 

Maybe it's the temperature sensor this time. 

Edited by Guest

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Polaris 550 said:

Fan is not working on my 2004 Polaris Sportsman 400. Overheated today.

About two years ago same thing, brought it to the dealer, it was a relay. $100.00.

I'm gonna dig into it tomorrow. 

Maybe it's the temperature sensor this time. 

I beleive it's poo,s weak spot. My fan hasnt worked in quite a while.

19 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

2 neighbors have CF Moto's, nothing but problems..another guy near me was a CF dealer, he stopped selling them because of so many complaints and difficult to get parts.

I don't know why anyone would take a chance on any off brand.

They aren't that much cheaper to take a gamble.

And everyone I've ever talked to had parts availability issues.

18 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I just bought my side x side and I spent months looking at all the different brands. First I was not looking for the biggest and most powerful I wanted a mid size for the trails around the house and for plowing the driveway. The CF Moto gave you a lot for the money but it never felt like it was made that well. The Polaris mid size was awful, not a single piece of it looked like it was well made. The BRP Commander is a nice piece just not what I had in mind. Honda makes two I was looking at a 500 and a 700 both are pretty nice and unique. I went with the Kawasaki mule mx pro. Better built than the others (more steel less plastic) and a good reputation. Yamaha does not really make a mid sized unit but their stuff is pretty nice. Looked at Textron but they really don't make a mid size but very hd components.

Like you I did my homework before buying mine last fall and went with the 2020 mid-size Ranger 500, bought the hard cab and glass windows, yeah some things don't look as rugged but it has so far surpassed my expectations although I bought mine for more work than play

DSCN0393 (1).JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

Like you I did my homework before buying mine last fall and went with the 2020 mid-size Ranger 500, bought the hard cab and glass windows, yeah some things don't look as rugged but it has so far surpassed my expectations although I bought mine for more work than play

DSCN0393 (1).JPG

Glad you're having luck with it. First brand new machine I ever bought was a 2012 Ranger 500 midsize and it was a lemon right out of the crate. I had $4000 in repairs in 3300 miles.

19 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Glad you're having luck with it. First brand new machine I ever bought was a 2012 Ranger 500 midsize and it was a lemon right out of the crate. I had $4000 in repairs in 3300 miles.

Didn't your warranty/extended warranty cover it?

27 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

mine is not going to be a high use machine, I use it to maintain 20 miles of snowmobile trails and around house and produce garden and to run around neighborhood,I also bought the extended warrantee

Picked up a low mile Honda Rincon 680 this week.  Still have a 98 Foreman to sell off. The Rincon seems like a decent machine. Hopefully as reliable as the Foreman which has lived outside for 22 years.

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

DSCN0393 (1).JPG

Not trying to brand bash just my humble opinion. I hope you get good service out of your new whip.

1 hour ago, s pump said:

Picked up a low mile Honda Rincon 680 this week.  Still have a 98 Foreman to sell off. The Rincon seems like a decent machine. Hopefully as reliable as the Foreman which has lived outside for 22 years.

Hondas live on and on. My buddy has my 2004 Rubicon and it's still going strong

5 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I beleive it's poo,s weak spot. My fan hasnt worked in quite a while.

The fan is easy to test. Once you've determined that, it's either the relay, or the temp sensor. Factory sensor is 90 bucks, Amazon sensor is 17 bucks.

Relays are a pain in the ass to access. I'm gonna see what I can do with it today. 

I ain't bringin' it to any dealer, unless I absofuckinglutely have no choice. 

PITA, I use this goddamn thing every day. 

Just now, XCR1250 said:

I've replaced many Honda rear bearings for customers.

Back in the 80's when we had all Honda atv's we kept brake pads and rear axle bearings in stock at the cabin. I haven't ridden a 2000 or newer Honda but they used ro be very reliable motors surrounded by complete crap suspension and braking.

image.png.a53ca844fb197d71e38f75eed7b749ae.png

4 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

DSCN0393 (1).JPG

My buds both bought midsize 570s

One was fairly trouble free the other was an absolute POS.

He traded the POS for a ranger 1000 XP? With 6000kms I guess he's having lots of problems with this one too..

Unsure on maintenance.

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I will pm you my #. A friend needs some work done on a few machines if you are interested. His camp is 20 miles south of Hayward.

I retired a few years ago..what's he need done?

On 8/15/2020 at 7:08 AM, XCR1250 said:

Didn't your warranty/extended warranty cover it?

The 6 month warranty covered the first voltage regulator and after being in 3 times they finally replaced the fuel pump.  Between those 4 times in the shop, I was able to ride 350 miles during the 6 month warranty.  After warranty... another voltage regulator, then the stator.  Then on my own doing I bent an A-arm so upgraded A-arms, ball joints, and tie rods to Super ATV parts, threw a set of 27" Mayhems on at that time.  Then the engine went - new piston, cylinder, all new valves, and head machined.  The battery light was starting to flash again when I sold it with 3300 miles.  Pile Of Shit.

For the record, I am religious on oil and fluid changes on my machines.  On the Ranger I ran Polaris oils and filters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

The 6 month warranty covered the first voltage regulator and after being in 3 times they finally replaced the fuel pump.  Between those 4 times in the shop, I was able to ride 350 miles during the 6 month warranty.  After warranty... another voltage regulator, then the stator.  Then on my own doing I bent an A-arm so upgraded A-arms, ball joints, and tie rods to Super ATV parts, threw a set of 27" Mayhems on at that time.  Then the engine went - new piston, cylinder, all new valves, and head machined.  The battery light was starting to flash again when I sold it with 3300 miles.  Pile Of Shit.

For the record, I am religious on oil and fluid changes on my machines.  On the Ranger I ran Polaris oils and filters.

Don't feel bad, I had shit luck with my MACH Z 1000, and my Can_m 800 OUT.

Bought both brand new in 2007. I bet I lost close to 17000 on those two fucks. Fukkin bastids.