Check your account email address ×

Honest debate... And poll!

Is covid as dangerous as we were told or not?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are the restrictions worth while?

In NYC? Sure. 

Most everywhere else in the country? No, I don't think so. Certainly not here. Our Governor made the right call despite all the criticism she took from the sky is falling crowd. 

Applying a one size fits all approach to the country is pure idiocy but that's a constant nowadays. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, SSFB said:

In NYC? Sure. 

Most everywhere else in the country? No, I don't think so. Certainly not here. Our Governor made the right call despite all the criticism she took from the sky is falling crowd. 

Applying a one size fits all approach to the country is pure idiocy but that's a constant nowadays. 

:true:

Like SS said places like NYC and Chicago need to take it a bit slower but most places are fine. We flattened the curve and should get back to normal soon. I don’t agree with any more shutdowns in the fall. If you’re sick or compromised stay home.

15 minutes ago, SSFB said:

In NYC? Sure. 

Basically this. In Maine they've started to realize the idiocy and it's pretty much business as usual in rural areas with some basic precautions. Portland area is still pretty locked down as they were the epicenter, but the gf was able to buy a car end of last month down there so not that strict. 

Everything is close to back to normal here. Some(most?) bars/restaurants have servers wearing masks still. 100% usable outdoor patio seating at alot of places. Golf courses are allowing golfers to ride together and no limits on clubhouse patrons. Lots of people out and about. 

It's a mixed bag, our area has a large weekend population from NY and NJ, had no measures been taken and people in our area had become infected our health system is not equipped to handle large numbers. This was a damned if you do damned if you don't situation, there is the argument that the measures taken saved thousands of lives and we can't know how many people would have become infected had nothing been done.  The truth is nobody really knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My new county saw 1 case of Covid and he was back to work in 2 weeks.

Think I have yet to see a mask up there.

Like our former governor said... the southern counties of Maine (Northern Mass we call it) should have been done but the rest on a case by case basis.

50 minutes ago, SSFB said:

In NYC? Sure. 

spot fucking on

29 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Everything is close to back to normal here. Some(most?) bars/restaurants have servers wearing masks still. 100% usable outdoor patio seating at alot of places. Golf courses are allowing golfers to ride together and no limits on clubhouse patrons. Lots of people out and about. 

Chicago and Illinois are "semi open" you can go to a bar or restaurant that has outside seating otherwise its take out. It seems everywhere has mask ordinances and I dont have to wear one across the border so I always walk in without one because I am not as used to it and everybody has one but maybe half the people are actually wearing it. 

They say cases are rising but everywhere is packed, people are out doing stuff and alot of the social distancing has gone out the window. And where I live just right over the border all of the FIBS are over using the beach and lakes and bars/restaurants, hair and nail salons, etc... All of the parking lots are full of Illinois license plates. And MAYBE half the people are wearing masks and using social distancing. 

At this point none of our jobs are affected by COVID and I have 26 active jobs going right now. 

Worth it? I'm going to give the cdc and the people that make these kind of decisions some slack. Covid-19 is a brand new disease that we had very little knowledge of. The disease showed that it was capable of spreading at a very high rate and could overcome our hospitals and kill.

Granted it doesn't seem as bad as advertised but as they say hind sight is 20-20.

Just look back at the Spanish flu outbreak to see how bad it may have been.

• Like 6

• Platinum Contributing Member

I like what our gov. did.   Broke the state down into 7 regions and dealt with each region on its own based off a criteria points list.   This kept it fair.   While it wasn't perfect it was much better than a state wide policy.  

As for the poll I would have to answer no because I think overall it was not handled well and too many and too long of shutdowns occurred around the country. 

6 hours ago, SSFB said:

In NYC? Sure. 

this

Like others have said, certain population clusters where the cases have been high, sure, lock things down. But the economy needs to open back up, because the damage done to it is huge.  I'm more disgusted than ever over the behavior of some of these governors, and the political climate for the past 4 years just makes every suspect, including this virus.  OK, a black dirt bag gets choked out by a dirty cop.  Cops under arrest for manslaughter, but before we let justice take its course, we're going to send in paid protesters in the form of BLM and Antifa to cause billions in damages all over the country, hurting the same communities they claim to be representing. And lets whip up the SJWs who've been virtual signaling vomit for weeks now.  Forgive my cynicism.  I'm ready for them to send fucking tanks into Seattle and take back CHAS or what the fuck ever they're calling it. :lol: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Like others have said, certain population clusters where the cases have been high, sure, lock things down. But the economy needs to open back up, because the damage done to it is huge.  I'm more disgusted than ever over the behavior of some of these governors, and the political climate for the past 4 years just makes every suspect, including this virus.  OK, a black dirt bag gets choked out by a dirty cop.  Cops under arrest for manslaughter, but before we let justice take its course, we're going to send in paid protesters in the form of BLM and Antifa to cause billions in damages all over the country, hurting the same communities they claim to be representing. And lets whip up the SJWs who've been virtual signaling vomit for weeks now.  Forgive my cynicism.  I'm ready for them to send fucking tanks into Seattle and take back CHAS or what the fuck ever they're calling it. :lol: 

Amen.:bc:

6 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Worth it? I'm going to give the cdc and the people that make these kind of decisions some slack. Covid-19 is a brand new disease that we had very little knowledge of. The disease showed that it was capable of spreading at a very high rate and could overcome our hospitals and kill.

Granted it doesn't seem as bad as advertised but as they say hind sight is 20-20.

Well said and it's still a fluid situation so we'll see if these states with rising cases can knock it down fairly quickly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/06/08/coronavirus-infections-are-on-the-rise-in-21-us-states-with-cases-spiking-in-california-arizona-and-north-carolina/#27549c9e6d5e

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Good post.  :bc: 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

good post. Now lets see if we have learned anything from how it was handled to begin with if/when there is a second wave. My guess is we won't, here in Canada anyways. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, frenchy said:

good post. Now lets see if we have learned anything from how it was handled to begin with if/when there is a second wave. My guess is we won't, here in Canada anyways. 

I'm pretty sure the fucking protests will see a spike.

51 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I'm pretty sure the fucking protests will see a spike.

Without a doubt. According to most of the media, It’s not ok for some to have any outside gatherings,  but all of a sudden it’s no issue to have 10’s of thousands protest around the country together. 🙄 They will still be showing examples of some social distanced outside church gathering over protesters huddled up together as examples of increased cases  

I’m not against opening back up in most places, though a lot of what was allowed vs not allowed was downright stupid in many states. With that being said, I believe there is a clusterfuck coming and predict it will get worse now than it has been at any time. Too late to shut down again. I think if everyone was on the same page from the beginning we would have been better off. I was all for shutting the shit down at the start. Every state at the same time. Can’t tell that to some of those southern states. I went to Texas a few months ago and wondered if they even watched news or were just oblivious or didn’t believe it. I don’t mean the wanna be cowboy gun touting all about their rights types either. 

Unfortunately if most of the country was better at personal responsibility instead of needing governors to tell us what is ok to do and what not to do, we again would have been better off.  This is the USA. Most are too greedy and are going to do whatever the fuck they want so that’s never going to happen. Hopefully my prediction is way off and will gladly take a beating from anyone saying “I told you so”. I’d bet quite a bit that I won’t be wrong. Seems to be common sense in my opinion. Rant over..

Edited by Crowder

the people in the massive crowds are mostly young so they will be fine . I had been eating take out uo to the point of the riots . but now I am not I figure most of the restarant and fast food  help was prob smack  in the center of it all 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

the people in the massive crowds are mostly young so they will be fine . I had been eating take out uo to the point of the riots . but now I am not I figure most of the restarant and fast food  help was prob smack  in the center of it all 

They might be fine but how many are they passing it onto? 

If an asymptomatic person from Boston, takes a Sunday drive to Millinocket, Maine , or Island Pond, Vermont, those areas are probably quite low in Covid cases. 

Could that Boston person infect those people? Answer is YES!!!!!

Therefore, regional lockdowns are worthless, because we are such a mobile society. 

The ONLY way to kill Corona is how Greece did it...…………………..TOTAL LOCKDOWN. They needed government permission to leave their houses. 

Americans, in my opinion are a high percentage of bastards. They won't stay the fuck home, they want to go to games, Nascar, beaches, protests and everything else. 

They don't give a fuck if it creates a NEW WAVE of infections. They don't care 'cause it's mostly the elderly that will die from this. FUKKIN BASTARDS!!!

Now, we are going to see another wave of this shit, because these bastards protested and destroyed, burned, and looted. 

Bastard fucks in America. That's my .,02c.